[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Zappa Plays Zappa

Kid Cid

OK, it's gonna take me a while to get to the point here so please bear with me. I started playing guitar in the first grade. I took a few years off to play amongst other things: percussion (marching band and drum corps just about anything you could bang on), clarinet, saxophone, flute and a bit of piano. Through all that I've kept up with the guitar. So to be consertative, let's say I've played for about 30 years. During that time, I've played professionally and I've had the opportunity to play with some of the biggest names in the business as well as with some of the most amazing musicians (not necessarily the same people).

So at this point you can call me a bit jaded. I've pretty much seen and heard it all. My musical tastes run from classical through jazz, blues and rock. They touch briefly on bluegrass and country. That's why I don't find much redeeming value in most of todays new bands and I find even less in the rap music genre.

So with that being said, last night I had the distinct pleasure of going up to the Tower Theater in Philly to see a show titled Zappa Plays Zappa. Actually, let me rephrase that. Last night I saw the single best concert I've seen in the last 15 years. Frank Zappa's two sons Dweezil and Ahmet have put together a band of ultra talented musicians to play some of their father's music.

There's a reason that Frank Zappa is looked upon as a musical genious. Once you get past the outrageousness of the lyrics, you find some of the most tightly written, intensely driven, amazingly complicated, sometimes downright experimental, ever written. It takes consumate musicians dedicated to their art to even begin to play this stuff. I couldn't do it that's for sure. So to hear these guys playing the likes of "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" and "St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast" with all the gusto and perfection of an original Frank performance (I was lucky enough to see him perform a Halloween show in Hartford back in the 80's) really got me going.

But that wasn't enough. They brought in one of Frank's original band members to play the drums. A little ball of spastic energy by the name of Terry Bozzio. (if you're old enough you may remember his wife Dale Bozzio, Playboy Playmate and lead singer of the band Missing Persons). They played a piece that Frank wrote especially to challenge Terry Bozio titled "The Black Page". Once Frank figured out that a human being could play the things he was commiting to paper, the world was really in trouble.

See Frank was an amazing guitar player in his own right but he wrote some things that even he couldn't play. Dweezil is no slouch either. However, if you look at Frank's albums, many of them have a person listed in the credits as a Stunt Guitarist. Last night Dweezil and Ahmet also had the Stunt Guitarist join them on stage to perform some of those things that normal human being just can't seem to get the hand and fingers to do.

His name is Steve Vai.

Very few things make me go "wow" any more. What I saw last night went far beyond that. Jaw dropping, stunned silence was closer to the mark. All I can say is that is run, do not walk, to get tickets for this show.

For those few of you that may be interested.

The band:

Dweezil Zappa - Guitar

Steve Vai - Stunt Guitar

Terry Bozzio - Drums

Napoleon Murphy Brock - Vocals and Horns

Joe Travers - Drums

Pete Griffin - Bass,

Aaron Arntz - Keyboards & Vocals,

Scheila Gonzales - Horns, Keyboards & Vocals,

Billy Hulting - Melodic Percussion

Jamie Kime - Rhythm Guitar

The music:

Set I

Imaginary Diseases

Hungry Freaks Daddy

Lets Make the Water Turn Black

Florentine Pogen

Pygmy Twylite

The Idiot Bastard Son

Cheepnis

King Kong

Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow

St. Alphonzo’s Pancake Breakfast

Inca Roads

Eat that Question

Set II

I’m So Cute

Trying to Grow a Chin

City of Tiny Lights

Punky’s Whips

The Black Page

Peaches En Regalia

Montana

Village of the Sun

Echinda’s Arf (of you)

Zomby Woof

Encore

Camarillo Brillo

The Orange County Lumber Truck

More Trouble Every Day

Token of My Extreme (Outro)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, it's gonna take me a while to get to the point here so please bear with me. I started playing guitar in the first grade. I took a few years off to play amongst other things: percussion (marching band and drum corps just about anything you could bang on), clarinet, saxophone, flute and a bit of piano. Through all that I've kept up with the guitar. So to be consertative, let's say I've played for about 30 years. During that time, I've played professionally and I've had the opportunity to play with some of the biggest names in the business as well as with some of the most amazing musicians (not necessarily the same people).

So at this point you can call me a bit jaded. I've pretty much seen and heard it all. My musical tastes run from classical through jazz, blues and rock. They touch briefly on bluegrass and country. That's why I don't find much redeeming value in most of todays new bands and I find even less in the rap music genre.

So with that being said, last night I had the distinct pleasure of going up to the Tower Theater in Philly to see a show titled Zappa Plays Zappa. Actually, let me rephrase that. Last night I saw the single best concert I've seen in the last 15 years. Frank Zappa's two sons Dweezil and Ahmet have put together a band of ultra talented musicians to play some of their father's music.

There's a reason that Frank Zappa is looked upon as a musical genious. Once you get past the outrageousness of the lyrics, you find some of the most tightly written, intensely driven, amazingly complicated, sometimes downright experimental, ever written. It takes consumate musicians dedicated to their art to even begin to play this stuff. I couldn't do it that's for sure. So to hear these guys playing the likes of "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" and "St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast" with all the gusto and perfection of an original Frank performance (I was lucky enough to see him perform a Halloween show in Hartford back in the 80's) really got me going.

But that wasn't enough. They brought in one of Frank's original band members to play the drums. A little ball of spastic energy by the name of Terry Bozzio. (if you're old enough you may remember his wife Dale Bozzio, Playboy Playmate and lead singer of the band Missing Persons). They played a piece that Frank wrote especially to challenge Terry Bozio titled "The Black Page". Once Frank figured out that a human being could play the things he was commiting to paper, the world was really in trouble.

See Frank was an amazing guitar player in his own right but he wrote some things that even he couldn't play. Dweezil is no slouch either. However, if you look at Frank's albums, many of them have a person listed in the credits as a Stunt Guitarist. Last night Dweezil and Ahmet also had the Stunt Guitarist join them on stage to perform some of those things that normal human being just can't seem to get the hand and fingers to do.

His name is Steve Vai.

Very few things make me go "wow" any more. What I saw last night went far beyond that. Jaw dropping, stunned silence was closer to the mark. All I can say is that is run, do not walk, to get tickets for this show.

For those few of you that may be interested.

The band:

Dweezil Zappa - Guitar

Steve Vai - Stunt Guitar

Terry Bozzio - Drums

Napoleon Murphy Brock - Vocals and Horns

Joe Travers - Drums

Pete Griffin - Bass,

Aaron Arntz - Keyboards & Vocals,

Scheila Gonzales - Horns, Keyboards & Vocals,

Billy Hulting - Melodic Percussion

Jamie Kime - Rhythm Guitar

The music:

Set I

Imaginary Diseases

Hungry Freaks Daddy

Lets Make the Water Turn Black

Florentine Pogen

Pygmy Twylite

The Idiot Bastard Son

Cheepnis

King Kong

Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow

St. Alphonzo’s Pancake Breakfast

Inca Roads

Eat that Question

Set II

I’m So Cute

Trying to Grow a Chin

City of Tiny Lights

Punky’s Whips

The Black Page

Peaches En Regalia

Montana

Village of the Sun

Echinda’s Arf (of you)

Zomby Woof

Encore

Camarillo Brillo

The Orange County Lumber Truck

More Trouble Every Day

Token of My Extreme (Outro)

Cool story kid cid! Although I'm not the biggest Zappa fan, I certainly went through my Zappa phase as a young guitarist. My first band used to play Willie the Pimp, I love that album "Hot Rats".

Anyways, I also have the DVD Baby Snakes. Is Terry Bozio the drummer on Baby Snakes? If that's him, he is an incredible drummer. There's this one part on BS where he does this crazy a$$ drum fill, then jumps up on his stool, then jumps back off and into his drum stool to continue the insanely complicated drum piece.

Cool story kid cid! Although I'm not the biggest Zappa fan, I certainly went through my Zappa phase as a young guitarist. My first band used to play Willie the Pimp, I love that album "Hot Rats".

Anyways, I also have the DVD Baby Snakes. Is Terry Bozio the drummer on Baby Snakes? If that's him, he is an incredible drummer. There's this one part on BS where he does this crazy a$$ drum fill, then jumps up on his stool, then jumps back off and into his drum stool to continue the insanely complicated drum piece.

Yeah, that's him. Un fricken believable drummer.

Sounds like something I'd really like to see. Is this tour going on long?

Edit:

Sun	  Jun 11	  Philadelphia, PENNSYLVANIA	  Tower Theatre	  On Sale NowMon 	Jun 12 	New York, NEW YORK 	Beacon Theatre 	On Sale NowTue 	Jun 13 	Boston, MASSACHUSETTS 	Orpheum 	On Sale NowThu 	Jun 15 	Detroit, MICHIGAN 	Meadow Brook Music Festival 	On Sale NowFri 	Jun 16 	Toronto, ONTARIO 	Hummingbird 	On Sale NowSat 	Jun 17 	Chicago, ILLINOIS 	Auditorium Theatre 	On Sale April 21 @ NoonPre-Sale: 4/20 10AM CDTPassword: FrankTue 	Jun 20 	Las Vegas, NEVADA 	House of Blues, Las Vegas 	On Sale April 21 @ 10AMPre-sale On Now - No password, but HOB.com account required.Wed 	Jun 21 	Phoenix, ARIZONA 	Dodge Theatre 	On Sale NowThu 	Jun 22 	Anaheim, CALIFORNIA 	House of Blues, Anaheim 	On Sale NowPassword: HOBFri 	Jun 23 	Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA 	The Wiltern 	On Sale NowSat 	Jun 24 	San Francisco, CALIFORNIA 	The Warfield 	On Sale Now

Nowhere near here. :D

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Sounds like something I'd really like to see. Is this tour going on long?

Edit:

Sun	  Jun 11	  Philadelphia, PENNSYLVANIA	  Tower Theatre	  On Sale NowMon 	Jun 12 	New York, NEW YORK 	Beacon Theatre 	On Sale NowTue 	Jun 13 	Boston, MASSACHUSETTS 	Orpheum 	On Sale NowThu 	Jun 15 	Detroit, MICHIGAN 	Meadow Brook Music Festival 	On Sale NowFri 	Jun 16 	Toronto, ONTARIO 	Hummingbird 	On Sale NowSat 	Jun 17 	Chicago, ILLINOIS 	Auditorium Theatre 	On Sale April 21 @ NoonPre-Sale: 4/20 10AM CDTPassword: FrankTue 	Jun 20 	Las Vegas, NEVADA 	House of Blues, Las Vegas 	On Sale April 21 @ 10AMPre-sale On Now - No password, but HOB.com account required.Wed 	Jun 21 	Phoenix, ARIZONA 	Dodge Theatre 	On Sale NowThu 	Jun 22 	Anaheim, CALIFORNIA 	House of Blues, Anaheim 	On Sale NowPassword: HOBFri 	Jun 23 	Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA 	The Wiltern 	On Sale NowSat 	Jun 24 	San Francisco, CALIFORNIA 	The Warfield 	On Sale Now

Nowhere near here. :D

I thought you lived around Chicago? Apparently not.

Didn't Adrian belew play guitar on a couple of Zappa albums?

Never knew that your old username was a Zappa tune until I saw the set list you posted above.

Yup. Adrian Belew was a Zappa guitarist before Vai. Anothe notable that played with Zappa is Jean Luc Ponty.

LOL, yes, I am the Zomby Woof.

used to jam in Joe's garage........ :D i loved whippin out the Zappa to see peoples reaction in high school, when crap like Loverboy, Cheaptrick was blastin at kegs.....Catholic Girl,why does it hurt when i pee, movin to Montana, not many got it.......that's why i liked it :D

Wow! It's amazing to hear from other Zappa fans! I'm jealous K.C.! One of my ultimate favorites that

Frank absolutely jammed on was Black Napkins. I also liked Flakes, Bobby Brown Goes Down, and

Broken Hearts are For geezers. Some funny stuff in there but Frank was a true genious. Very under-rated guitarist to say the least. Never got to see him live but would love to see this tour. I'm not even close though. :D

Wow! It's amazing to hear from other Zappa fans! I'm jealous K.C.! One of my ultimate favorites that

Frank absolutely jammed on was Black Napkins. I also liked Flakes, Bobby Brown Goes Down, and

Broken Hearts are For geezers. Some funny stuff in there but Frank was a true genious. Very under-rated guitarist to say the least. Never got to see him live but would love to see this tour. I'm not even close though. :D

Should be Broken Hearts are For A-Holes. Forgot the censor. :D

Great lyrics. :D:D

Now you been to The Grape 'n' you been to

The Chest 'N' now I think you know what you are: you're an

a**hole

You say you can't live with what you've been through

Well, ladies you can be an a**hole too

You might pretend you ain't got one on the bottom of you

But don't fool yerself girl

It's lookin' at you

Don't fool yerself girl

It's winkin'at you

Don't fool yerself girl

It's blinkin' at you

That's why I say

I'm gonna ram it, ram it, ram it

Ram it up yer poop chute

Corn hole

Ram it, ram it, ram it

Ram it up yer poop chute

Fist f***

Ram it, ram it, ram it

Ram it up yer poop chute

Wrist-watch: Crisco

Ram it, ram it, ram it

Ram it up yer poop chute

Pud!

Don't fool yerself, girl,

It's goin' right up yer poop chute

Don't fool yerself, girl,

It's goin' right up yer poop chute

(etc., repeats)

Aw, I knew you'd be surprised

I got a cheerleader here wants to help with my paper

Let her do all the work n maybe later Ill rape her

Oh God I am the american dream

I do not think Im too extreme

An Im a handsome sonofabitch

Im gonna get a good job n be real rich

An none of the jocks can even tell Im a homo

Eventually me n a friend

Sorta drifted along into s&m

I can take about an hour on the tower of power

long as I gets a little golden shower

I got a cheerleader here wants to help with my paper

Let her do all the work n maybe later Ill rape her

Oh God I am the american dream

I do not think Im too extreme

An Im a handsome sonofabitch

Im gonna get a good job n be real rich

An none of the jocks can even tell Im a homo

Eventually me n a friend

Sorta drifted along into s&m

I can take about an hour on the tower of power

long as I gets a little golden shower

Another verse:

Women's liberation came sweeping all across the nation

I tell you people I was not ready when I F*cked this dyke by the name of Freddie

She made a little speech then, oh she tried to make me say "when"

She had my balls in a vice but she left the d*ck

I guess it still hooked on but now it shoots too quick

:D

Sounds like a great concert. Steve Vai is definitely an incredible guitar player.

I was lucky enough to see Frank in concert in the mid-70's at Winterland in SF, CA. I remember Captain Beefheart opened and got booed off the stage after three songs, funny as hell. Zappa came out and played for over three hours. One of the tightest and best bands I've ever seen live.

I've been listening to Sheik Yerbouti in my car. My dad asked me what I wanted for Christmas last year, and I told him to just buy me something that he likes that he thought I would like. He got me that album. :D

I've been listening to Sheik Yerbouti in my car. My dad asked me what I wanted for Christmas last year, and I told him to just buy me something that he likes that he thought I would like. He got me that album. :D

You have a cool Dad. Mine would have got me Beethoven.