[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deck staining

Kid Cid

Ok, so I just finished powerwashing the mold off my deck. So what is the best stain/weathproofing to use and maybe more importantly, what's the best method of application?

Thompson's is supposed to be great stuff, and easy to use. I'm on vacation the 1st week of July, so I'm going to redo my deck. Several people I work with swear by Olympic color stain. They say it's been on their decks for 5 years and still looks like new. I'm probably going to try it because it is available in a wide variety of colors with ranges in clarity from transparent, semi-transparent, to solid color stains. BLowe's sells it for between $25 & $30 bucks a gallon. Let us know how yours turns out! :D

This should be exactly what you're looking for:

http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/deckapplication.html

I have to disagree with Hugh on this one! Penofin Oil is far and away the best stain on the market! I have used it on my fence and deck for years! I used Thompson's when I was in in construction and landscaping. There is no comparison IMHO!

You want to make sure it is dry when you do it. Also, I was just wondering do you want to stain it or just put a sealer on it? This apply's only if you want a sealer. Get a cannister from the lawn & garden department at the Hardware store,one that you can pump up and just spray it on. It works great.

Ok, so I just finished powerwashing the mold off my deck. So what is the best stain/weathproofing to use and maybe more importantly, what's the best method of application?

Kid... I would also look on the Penofin site and call the dealers that are listed on the site and ask them to compare the stains that people suggest. I can bet that they will recommend Penofin oil or Cabot. I prefer the Penofin, because all you have to do is clean and stain, there is no stripping needed due to the Penofin oil be rosewood based and will just absorb into itself when it is re-applied. The Cabot will usually last a little longer...

Edited by sundaynfl

If Consumer Reports ratings mean anything to you, they recommend:

Clear (no color) Stain: Olympic WaterGuard 55560 (wood will age to a grey color over time)

Semi-transparent (color and shows some grain): Wolman Durastain 18146

Opaque (solid color and hides most of the grain): Cabot Decking Stain 1480, or Cabot Solid Color 1880.

By category, each is far superior to the rest in their long-term testings. They recomend going with the opaque or semitrans for best long term results, however.

I used to build decks and we used Defy products to stain/seal. They are a little more expensive but from my experience are top notch. And as far as application we brushed the rails and spindles then rolled the decking boards.