[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Call me paranoid

bushwacked

After the Big Ben accident and reading this e-mail my wife got this morning...I just couldn't be a bike rider in in a city. Too many other idiots that you are entrusting with your life. Don't know the guy, but it sounds pretty crappy.

Hello,

____________ was involved in a serious accident yesterday around 6pm on I-5. He was riding his motorcycle and the eye witness says that another motorcyclist “clipped” him, causing him to wreck. After the first wreck, she said he tried to get up and get off the freeway and was then struck by a Dodge Magnum. After that, he was struck again by a utility van. She said that the Magnum looked as though it had had a head-on collision with a truck. The guy driving the Magnum had to be treated at the scene because he started and then couldn’t stop throwing up. The motorcyclist that caused the accident fled the scene and then caused another minor accident up the freeway a bit by cutting across 5 lanes of traffic to get away. ___ is in the Trauma ICU at Harborview. We were there until 1am this morning and still don’t know the extent of his injuries. For those of you that might not know, his wife, Teresa is 7 months pregnant.

What we do know is that all of his ribs are broken, in the front and in the back and both of his lungs are damaged. Both of his lungs are tubed and they are pretty sure that his significant blood loss originated from the lungs. The right side of his face and eye socket are shattered as is his right arm. They were concerned last night that he might lose the arm but I think they have stabilized it. The most significant and scary injury is to his brain. Still at this point there aren’t a lot of answers. There is a 3 day head trauma window or something that is critical/ touch-and-go. _____ would probably know more about that. But they said that the first 3 days after head trauma, there is significant swelling and, if they make it past the 3rd day, the outlook is pretty good. So it will be touch-and-go until then. Right now, he still is bleeding from the ears and nose and is still unconscious.

I talked to his sister, ______, this morning at 6am (he had another MRI @ 4am) and she said that 1) the Ear Nose Throat doctor came in and said that he won’t have to have reconstructive surgery on his face and jaw but the bad news is that 2) during the MRI they found that he also has significant spinal injuries. She said that when she saw him this morning, his legs were twitching like crazy. The doctors told them that they were twitching because the lung/rib injuries are excruciating and, even though he is heavily medicated, he can feel the pain. His legs are the only thing that can move because they have the rest of his body strapped down. _______said she looked up at his face and he had tears running down his face.

That is what I know for now. I’ll let you all know more as I find things out. I’m not a religious person but thoughts and prayers for ____, ____and Baby _______ are greatly appreciated.

I hope everything works out for him.

Here on the radio when the Ben thing happened they were calling in with diff horror stories about bikes. there was one guy his friend got into an accident and his eye got disconnected internally and he is blind from now on.

all the RN that called in referred to motorcyclist as donorcyclist, cause most of the organs they get is from bikers, especially the ones with out a helmet.

all the RN that called in referred to motorcyclist as donorcyclist, cause most of the organs they get is from bikers, especially the ones with out a helmet.

Yep...a friend of mine's wife works at Baylor Hospital in Dallas and she says the same thing.

I really hope everything turs out OK, and I REALLY hope they find the SOB that hit and ran.

It's things like this that caused me to stop riding. People just don't pay attention when driving and being on a motorcycle just increases the chances you'll be overlooked.

I really hope everything turs out OK, and I REALLY hope they find the SOB that hit and ran.

It's things like this that caused me to stop riding. People just don't pay attention when driving and being on a motorcycle just increases the chances you'll be overlooked.

That's the problem. It doesn't matter how responsible or good a rider you are, or whether you're totally in the right, you're still the one that ends up dead or maimed.

Who writes an email like that should be shot...

you dont do that.

Care to expound on that? As someone who doesn't know the guy that got hurt but knows the person who wrote the e-mail to my wife, I'm kind of mystified to what you are getting at.

Care to expound on that? As someone who doesn't know the guy that got hurt but knows the person who wrote the e-mail to my wife, I'm kind of mystified to what you are getting at.

I was under the assumption that someone wrote that email to the entire company and not just to your wife. I wouldn't want people knowing the details of my painful suffering if that was me.

A similar thing has happened to me where my sister was severly injured and they sent out a detailed report about her at work. Struck a nerve in our family as it was meant for management and not for the world.

I still enjoy riding road bikes once in a while, but I'm more scared doing that than jumping or climbing a knarley hill on a dirt bike.

When I do go for a ride on the pavement, it's always off rush-hour and on the back roads. I'm extremely cautious at all intersections.

Life is too short to not ride, but too precious to be stupid.