[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper League Strategy

I recently took over a team in a second year 12 team keeper league. Scoring is standard with the following starting lineup:

1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF

The keeper rules for the first year allow you to keep six players in total, but only three that your team ORIGINALLY DRAFTED in the first six rounds. If you aquired a player through trade, that player is exempt from the "first six rounds" rule. The keeper rules from the second year foward are six players in total, but only three from the prior year's keeper list.

There is also a restriction by position. You can't keep more players at a position than you start. (In other words, you can only keep a maximum of 2 RBs.)

Because my predecessor made a few good trades, I'm in a better position than most. I will go into the season with the following keepers:

QB: E. Manning

RB: C. Portis, W. McGahee

WR: L. Fitzgerald, A. Johnson

TE: T. Heap

I also have the 3rd overall pick.

In all liklihood, the following will be available:

Tier 1 QBs (Except P. Manning)

Tier 2 WRs

Tier 3 RBs

Rookies

Assuming that I would keep Portis, McGahee and Fitzgerald in 2007, plus three players I pick up in this year's draft, is a Tier 1 QB like Brady or Palmer the way to go with the 3rd overall pick, or do I need to pick up my RB3 as the RBs will be pretty thin by the time my 2nd round pick (21st overall) comes around?

Edited by tomfin2000

You need another WR for sure. At that draft position, though, you take the best value player you can. You really do not need a QB, so scratch that position for sure.

Your RB's are good for this year, but you really need to assess the other teams in your league and their needs to see who might be available. IMO, you are one more receiver away from winning this year. So use your first round pick for that and the rest of the draft to build.

You need another WR for sure. At that draft position, though, you take the best value player you can. You really do not need a QB, so scratch that position for sure.

Your RB's are good for this year, but you really need to assess the other teams in your league and their needs to see who might be available. IMO, you are one more receiver away from winning this year. So use your first round pick for that and the rest of the draft to build.

Good advice, Chief. Their are two owners that will have to choose between two quality receivers:

Team 1: Randy Moss or Hines Ward

Team 2: Anquan Boldin or Reggie Wayne

There is also a third team that will have to choose between Chris Chambers, Matt Hasselbeck, and Donovan McNabb. He's already got Steve Smith, so I'm not sure which way he will go. Personally, I would keep Chambers because several top QBs will be released back into the pool, but we'll see.

Unfortunately, one of the two teams in front of me has a pressing need at WR, but I should still be able to reach either Hines Ward or Reggie Wayne.

Edited by tomfin2000

I think there will be more WR's that you can get later in the draft or even through a pickup or trade. You should be solid with E.Manning, but if you could get Palmer I think it's an upgrade and you could deal E.Manning for a solid #3 RB or a stud WR. I would look at the rosters and see who is in need of a QB. You also have the option to trade the #3 pick once the draft starts.

If a top WR isnt availible (Wayne, Ward, Boldin), and neither is an upgrade at QB (Palmer), then you might wanna consider trading that pick for a WR (if the best you can get is better than what the draft has availible to you.

He's got Eli he doesn't need another QB he needs a WR to fill up his starting lineup. No matter who it is you need to take a WR IMO Carson will be available next round.

He's got Eli he doesn't need another QB he needs a WR to fill up his starting lineup. No matter who it is you need to take a WR IMO Carson will be available next round.

The biggest advantage in taking a WR like Wayne or Ward is that barring a serious injury or a complete collapse, I know that I'm getting a guy that will start for me both this season AND next season.

If I take a QB, it's possible that he may not outperform Eli. Yes, I could trade one of the two QBs away, but I'm not sure that I can get good value for a QB in this league. Although I started out thinking of taking a QB, now that I've read the replies and given it some thought, I don't think it's the best move for me.

What does concern me is that 9 other teams will pick twice before I get my second rounder and by that point, every RB that has the potential to start or get regular touches will probably be off the board. I'll have to hit on a pretty deep sleeper in order to have a legitimate RB3. Portis and McGahee are a solid pair of starters, and I'll make sure that I get Betts and Thomas at some point to back them up, but as we all know, it usually takes more than that to get through a season.

As a couple of you mentioned, it might be a good idea to see if I can trade down. We can't trade players prior to the start of the draft, but I may be able to trade overall draft position with someone picking in the bottom half of the draft.

Edited by tomfin2000

agree with this. i'd focus on getting the best WR on the board with your first pick.

Unless you can get a top 1 or 2 tier WR I would look at a RB. As you stated you have 2 good RB's but you will need a bye week filler and if the guy in front of you is going to take a WR you should get the 2nd best availble RB. (Unless you have a good feeling about a rookie RB which should be there in the 2nd or 3rd round.)