[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WDIS QB

Flip_Side

Listen to me now ... I said IF SSmith had scored 137 yards and 2 TDs would he have also scored 32 points?

Oh I see you are an IF guy....so if I continue to run smack and punk you, are you going to ignore me? That seems to be your best move to those that have an opinion that differs from yours.

I bet you were the guy that picked up HIS ball and left the playground, cuz the game wasn't going your way!

Listen to me now ... I said IF SSmith had scored 137 yards and 2 TDs would he have also scored 32 points?

Oh I see you are an IF guy....so if I continue to run smack and punk you, are you going to ignore me? That seems to be your best move to those that have an opinion that differs from yours.

I bet you were the guy that picked up HIS ball and left the playground, cuz the game wasn't going your way!

You know what my point is ... which is why you refuse to answer the question.

ANY WR that had scored 32 points would have "cancelled out" those points ... it didn't have to be Marvin Harrison.

The whole cancelling out your opponent's points by starting somebody on your team to counter somebody on his team is BOGUS.

You know what my point is ... which is why you refuse to answer the question.

ANY WR that had scored 32 points would have "cancelled out" those points ... it didn't have to be Marvin Harrison.

The whole cancelling out your opponent's points by starting somebody on your team to counter somebody on his team is BOGUS.

Your right...I do see your point, and there were more than likely a few WR's that DID in fact put up those points, that week....just not S.Smith. Anyway you are not seeing the forest through the trees....I would rather have a WR in the SAME game as the QB for two reasons:

If the game is high scoring 31-28, his QB is more than likely going to put up some BIG numbers...Agree? (Since were are answering each others questions at THIS point). Also, chances are that my WR may have a solid game!!

Second reason; if the score is 13-3, more than likely his QB will have a soft game, agree? Yes my WR has a soft game as well, however I have used only a WR and he has used his QB.

It's like trading a pawn for a queen...........next question!!

You should always start the players you perceive will score the most points REGARDLESS of who your opponent starts, period.

If Rod Smith catchs a TD it is 6 points, period. It doesn't matter if Plummer throws it to him or if Mike Bell throws it to him. If Plummer throws a TD then it's 4 points (or how many ever your system awards) REGARDLESS of who catches the TD pass, period.

If you believe you are mitigating some of your risk by starting a particular player to "cancel out points" your opponent is starting you are sadly mistaken. As I have already pointed out Plummer can have a monster day with Plummer having a mediocre day.

One of the dumbest concepts ever is the idea that starting a QB/WR from your team "cancels out" the WR/QB your opponent starts from the same team.

Consider this ... if the roles were reversed would you consider starting Rod Smith because your opponent is starting Plummmer. I'd venture to say you'd answer yes. So if you'd consider doing it from either spot there is NO BENEFIT.

Grits is absolutely spot on, Flip. Never ever fall into that trap. I used to think the same way you did. One of the habits that joining the Huddle, and listening to Grit's advice in particular, helped break. I wondered why

I had never won my original league in the previous 11 years. It was no coincidence that I finally won it my first year in the Huddle. And I'm very thankful for his advice. I'm not trying to kiss Grit's arss here. Just letting you know that he, along with many others on this site, know what they are talking about.

It just so happens that Plummer was the better matchup in this instance so it was a wash. But the only matchups you should be concerned about are what defenses your best players face. Put the players in that you think will score the most points, regardless of who your oponent is starting. People sometimes think Grits is being cute by saying "start the players who will score the most the most points." Actually it is fantastic advice and I do my best to follow it.

Your right...I do see your point, and there were more than likely a few WR's that DID in fact put up those points, that week....just not S.Smith. Anyway you are not seeing the forest through the trees....I would rather have a WR in the SAME game as the QB for two reasons:

If the game is high scoring 31-28, his QB is more than likely going to put up some BIG numbers...Agree? (Since were are answering each others questions at THIS point). Also, chances are that my WR may have a solid game!!

Second reason; if the score is 13-3, more than likely his QB will have a soft game, agree? Yes my WR has a soft game as well, however I have used only a WR and he has used his QB.

It's like trading a pawn for a queen...........next question!!

In a 13-3 game a WR can still have a very big game 100 yards and a TD is a very nice game for a WR ... 150 yards and 1 TD is not a very nice game for a QB.

It is also possible for a QB to put up big numbers while the WR does not.

Answer this question:

Do you consider starting a WR when your opponent has that QB?

Do you consider starting a QB when your opponent has that WR?

If the answer to BOTH questions is YES then you can see that you don't really consider it to be a benefit to either side but you are attempting to mitigate risk. The best way to mitigate risk is to always start the players you percieve will score the most points regardless of whom your opponent will be starting.

In a 13-3 game a WR can still have a very big game 100 yards and a TD is a very nice game for a WR ... 150 yards and 1 TD is not a very nice game for a QB.

It is also possible for a QB to put up big numbers while the WR does not.

Answer this question:

Do you consider starting a WR when your opponent has that QB?

Do you consider starting a QB when your opponent has that WR?

If the answer to BOTH questions is YES then you can see that you don't really consider it to be a benefit to either side but you are attempting to mitigate risk. The best way to mitigate risk is to always start the players you percieve will score the most points regardless of whom your opponent will be starting.

:D

Some people just find it hard to break that bad habit Grits. I'm glad I did.

So you would bench Harrison b/c the other team has Manning, that is what this is all about. I am not saying to pick up Dallas Clark b/c you are going against Manning and Harrison and Wayne are on another roster... I am talking about starting a quality WR in the same f-n game that a high profile QB is in. What don't you get?

Did I post for Flip-side to start Plummer, cuz his opponent had Smith, heck no jackanya, I said that I love to have a WR (meaning one I have on my roster and start) going against the opposing QB. that's all, I am not on the waiver wire picking up a #3 WR to fill a roster spot.

So you would bench Harrison b/c the other team has Manning, that is what this is all about. I am not saying to pick up Dallas Clark b/c you are going against Manning and Harrison and Wayne are on another roster... I am talking about starting a quality WR in the same f-n game that a high profile QB is in. What don't you get?

Did I post for Flip-side to start Plummer, cuz his opponent had Smith, heck no jackanya, I said that I love to have a WR (meaning one I have on my roster and start) going against the opposing QB. that's all, I am not on the waiver wire picking up a #3 WR to fill a roster spot.

How often do you ever have 2 WRs of the same quality facing equally bad/good defenses both at home or both away both in the same weather conditions? The answer is never. If you choose to start a WR from your team because your opponent is starting his QB it is no different than choosing which WRs to start by flipping a coin.

If you have Marvin Harrision you start him ALWAYS, regardless of who your opponent is starting at QB.

LOL... I hadn't even read this thread when i made this post in the QB/K combo thread.

Sorry but starting a QB or WR simply because your opponent has a complementary player on his squad is asinine. Now, if you have analyzed the player, their matchup, the weather conditions, every conceivable factor that has an actual bearing on the player's performance, then flipped a fair coin and still somehow came to the conclusion that the players are equal in every possible way, then using the fact that my opponent may be starting a complementary player could be a consideration.

One of these days I'm going to pull some data and do an anaylsis of how many times you are better off starting the WR from a DIFFERENT team than the QB of your opponent. That would be any WR that scored more points.

Alright Grits, we are not getting anywhere here and more than likely you are right about the different team theory and you really can't cancel out the points. Hell, it took me a few year to get over the whole "hookup" thing a few years back.

I see your boys got your back and it makes sence, but I still wanted to ruffle your feathers just for the heck of it. I have watched, and respected your posts as well as Big Country, TS and some other vets for years now!!

But some positives did come out of this...I got my post up to a dismal 193ish, not bad for 3.5 years, and had a bunch of fun in the process!! talk to ya soon, promise not to have you give me some warm and fuzzies to a rate my team POST after this Sunday's draft!!

OUT