[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting cold feet

matt770

So I drank the kool aid and drafted this turd in a couple of leagues and now I'm having serious doubts. I received the below newsletter today and it talks about how putrid Detroit's o-line is. Plus jeez, it's Detroit. They are going to have a terrible offense this year, right? Somebody give me a counterpoint here, I'm considering dumping him for whatever I can get...Foster, T. Jones, Gore, whoever...

On February 8, Mike Martz was announced as the new offensive coordinator of the Detroit Lions. As a result, many people -- myself included -- predicted bigger and better things from a previously stagnant Lions` offense. And why not? Martz was fantasy gold during his time in St. Louis and the Lions had talent at all of the skill positions. A match made in fantasy-heaven, right?

Not exactly.

The key to the success of the Martz` led Rams wasn`t Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt, or Issac Bruce; the key was the solid play of their offensive line. The five men up front -- Orlando Pace, Ryan Tucker, Tom Nutten, Adam Timmerman, and Fred Miller -- opened the holes for Faulk; they held off rushers and gave Warner time to throw the ball; they allowed Holt and Bruce to get down the field. The Rams downtrend and more specifically Warner`s issues, started when Miller left St. Louis (for Tennessee) via free agency after the 1999 season.

To be successful, Martz` system requires solid-line play -- average won`t cut it. Unfortunately for the Lions and owners of their skill players, the Detroit offensive line is average ... at best.

At left tackle, the Lions are starting Jeff Backus -- the one above-average player on their five-man front. Backus is a good tackle, but nowhere near the quality of late-90`s/early 2000 Orlando Pace.

At right tackle, the Lions will start injury-plagued veteran Rex Tucker -- who is clearly on the downside of his career. If Tucker struggles or goes down to injury, rookie Jonathan Scott would take over right tackle duties.

The inside of the line is a mess. At guard, the Lions are counting on a pair of veterans -- Damien Woody and Ross Verba -- to hold fort. Clearly, both player`s best days are behind them. Woody has disappointed since leaving New England after the 2003 season and Verba is returning after sitting out the 2005 season to party in Las Vegas. The starting center -- Dominic Raiola -- is a decent, but nothing more than average.

If the preseason is any indication, the Lions offense is in deep trouble, and it can all be traced back to the offensive line. Par the course, Tucker, Woody, and Verba have dealt with injuries; while the players on-the-field have struggled to create holes in the running game and protect the quarterback in the passing game. Not surprisingly, the Lions` offense has looked dreadful.

So, if you`re banking on Jon Kitna, Kevin Jones, Roy Williams, or (enter skill-position player here) because they`re in a Mike Martz offense, you may want to think twice. Without a solid line, a Mike Martz offense isn`t a Mike Martz offense -- and Kitna, Jones, and Williams are an extreme gamble.

Give him a few weeks.

He is a great back. Things can change. Nobody knows ANYTHING as of today.

I tend to agree. There's so much panic on the board and it's only week 1. You drafted the guy for a reason. see how it plays out...at least for 1 week.

However I do think Foster could be a beast this year and if you can grab him , I would. But I wouldn't grab him at the expense of Jones when no football has even been played yet.

WOW...buyers remorse...! Let it shake out..see what happens..Kitna is an improvement at QB....Roy Williams, if he stays healthy, is legit number one receiver, which could equate to good season for KJ.........

No, no, no, no, no. Kitna might be marginally better than Harrington, but not better than Garcia. At least not much. When the Lions benched Harrington for Garcia last year, same result. No O-line. You could put Peyton Manning in at QB and Marvin Harrison at WR and they'd both suck in that offense with that line.

guess dont have to see MY post about selecting Roy Williams then...so you'd never take Roy Williams???? yes, been banged up, but 16 tds in 2 seasons isnt TOO bad.....

Well, I over do it about the Lions, and obviously it's a generalization, but I would pretty much never,ever, ever draft a Lion. Roy Williams is a VERY talented WR, but he will not be a consistent, viable fantasy WR in that system with that line imo. Kinda sad really, lotsa talent at the WR and RB position going completely to waste.

thanks...NOW i got buyers remorse for taking Roy Williams instead of Boldin......although Bolidn owner may be interested in trade that will benefit both of us..he has Edge and Boldin; doesn't really want 2 Cards..(cant blame him..).....I drafted Addai; he snagged Rhodes.....so, could possilby trade him Gore and Williams for Rhodes and Boldin.....

thanks...NOW i got buyers remorse for taking Roy Williams instead of Boldin......although Bolidn owner may be interested in trade that will benefit both of us..he has Edge and Boldin; doesn't really want 2 Cards..(cant blame him..).....I drafted Addai; he snagged Rhodes.....so, could possilby trade him Gore and Williams for Rhodes and Boldin.....

You drafted Roy Williams over Anquan Boldin? :D

What the hell is wrong with you people? :lol:

Good Lord, I'm going to have to spend more time here in the Advice Forum next pre-season. :D

You have to give the guy a chance at least.Let's see how the players perform with a great offensive mind in Martz and a dictator as a head coach.This team has had no discipline for years and I think it will make a difference.

You have to give the guy a chance at least.Let's see how the players perform with a great offensive mind in Martz and a dictator as a head coach.This team has had no discipline for years and I think it will make a difference.

I see you have Kitna on your roster, looks like you drank some of the Kool-Aid too. :D

figured getting clear cut number one receiver...16 tds in 2 years.....so....well....yeah...and not big on AZ this year...we shall see how it pans out...LOTS of sites had Roy Williams higher...oh well

Yeah. Just busting your balls a little. Like I said, he has talent, I just don't see him getting to use it, plus there's the injury concern. Boldin had over 100 catches and over 1400 yards last year, I just like him better, plus they have a RB this year, and a healthy Warner. Like you said, we shall see. Good luck this year. :D