[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trent Green done for maybe?

cliaz

Concussion KOs Chiefs QB Green indefinitely Click here to find out more!

NFL.com wire reports

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Sept. 11, 2006) -- Trent Green sustained a "very, very severe concussion" when his head was slammed into the ground by Cincinnati's Robert Geathers and will be hospitalized at least until Tuesday, the Kansas City Chiefs said.

"He's feeling much better," Chiefs president Carl Peterson said. "But he has a very kind-sized headache. Hopefully he'll be able to go home tomorrow."

The two-time Pro bowl quarterback will be listed as questionable this week at Denver. Peterson said he didn't know when Green might return.

Losing Green for long could be devastating to the Chiefs. Starting at Denver will be journeyman Damon Huard, who until Sunday had not completed a pass in the NFL since Dec. 24, 2000. Behind Huard are rookies Brodie Croyle and Casey Printers, who were both unimpressive in the preseason.

"There's no question this will test the football team," Peterson said. "Trent Green has been a tremendous leader for us both on and off the field. We're anticipating that Trent will get through this and get well and be back with us. At this point, though, I wouldn't put any time on it."

Protected by an outstanding offensive line and surrounded by stars such as Priest Holmes and Tony Gonzalez, Green started 80 straight games from 2001-2005, while Kansas City gained more yards (30,470), scored more touchdowns (262) and rushed for more TDs (131) than any other team in the league.

Joining the Chiefs from St. Louis after surviving a career-threatening injury and undergoing four knee operations, Green's 20,117 yards passing and 111 touchdown from 2001-2005 were exceeded only by Peyton Manning.

"It will be a day-to-day, week-to-week evaluation by the doctors," said Peterson. "Thank goodness he had no problems with his limbs."

Meanwhile, talk continued over the hit that knocked Green unconscious in the third quarter of Cincinnati's 23-10 victory.

Green was going feet-first into a hook slide right in front of the Chiefs bench. Geathers, possibly pushed from behind at least somewhat by Kansas City wide receiver Eddie Kennison, came flying in. Geathers' right shoulder slammed Green's chest and head and snapped the back of Green's head violently to the turf.

Officials did not call a foul, explaining to the enraged Chiefs sideline that Geathers' momentum had carried him into the player.

"In my opinion, I think it was a late hit. I think it was obviously a very vicious hit," Peterson said, "one that unfortunately Trent Green and the Kansas City Chiefs are paying a price for."

Peterson said he had reviewed film of the play Monday with league officials.

"They're drawing their conclusion and will make their decision later in the week," he said.

Cincinnati quarterback Carson Palmer said that he had tried to call Green. When Palmer sustained a devastating knee injury last January, Green called him with advice and encouragement.

"Everything I've heard is good," Palmer said. "I heard that he regained consciousness in the locker room, and he's going to be OK."

Palmer also defended Geathers.

"Knowing Robert, he's not a guy who likes to take cheap shots or really ever does take cheap shots. He was trying to make a tackle, he kind of got (blocked) low, almost like he fell into him. When you're 280 pounds and you're falling into a quarterback, something bad's going to happen. There's nothing you can do in that situation."

Gonzalez said he didn't think it was a cheap shot. "He didn't hit him with his helmet," he added.

But Peterson, and many other Kansas City players, had a different view.

"I think the quarterback was trying to slide, which he's instructed to do. The minute he starts that, the defensive player is supposed to get off, to back off any type of hitting or touching the quarterback," he said.

He has nearly 3 weeks to recoup. Obviously none of us arm chair quarterbacks know exactly what is wrong with him, but I think you are reading significantly more into it then what is really there. They aren't about to say yes he is the starting QB for week 4 when he is barely out of the hospital (if he indeed was leaving today).

He has nearly 3 weeks to recoup. Obviously none of us arm chair quarterbacks know exactly what is wrong with him, but I think you are reading significantly more into it then what is really there. They aren't about to say yes he is the starting QB for week 4 when he is barely out of the hospital (if he indeed was leaving today).

yup, pretty much. He has been upbeat and only has been wanting to talk about football. I'd bet he wants to play this week, but that for obvious reasons isn't going to happen. Everyone in KC knew this day might come and if it did we were in a sad state and just in case someone wants to even mention the name Todd Collins :D I'd take Huard over him everry single time.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear he was going to miss some significant time. severe head trauma to an aging qb can easily mean more than a couple games.

More of it depends on his concussion history - he may not return at all. Young, Aikman and many others were driven out too young by the repeated head blows. I hope he is okay...

More of it depends on his concussion history - he may not return at all. Young, Aikman and many others were driven out too young by the repeated head blows. I hope he is okay...

Well he definately doesn't have a history, not sure if he's had any others in his career but I don't think so.....I too hope he is okay....when I saw the hit I said he's down and I said that could very well career threatening....doesn't appear to be the case at this point, but one more shot and he's smart enough to walk away as the others have done. That was a nasty nasty hit, and I'm going to leave my opinion on the hit out of everything cause it just isn't worth the debate IMO...Get better Trent! :D

From what I've been hearing, it sounds like he wants to come back. But I agree that retirement may be in the back of his mind (I'm sure it's on his family's). He's 36 and his team appears to be on a down-slope.

It's one thing to get your bell rung and get checked out by a Doc after the game. Green has been in the hospital since Sunday. He took a major hit. Considering KC's backup situation, I doubt they will take any chances on bringing Green back too early.

Also to take another hit like the one he did could be very serious to his health.

I imagine the Chiefs will take every precaution...

I was very concerned for Green when I saw that hit. The contact with the other player alone was enough for a concussion, but the way his head smacked the ground was freightening. I hope he is OK and can play again if he wants to. I've always admired him as a person and think he's been under-rated as a QB.