[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Could someone explain this rule to me?

blips

Sunday in the Bear's game, Gossman handed (or pitched) the ball to Thomas Jones on a sweep. Jones getting near the sidelines was going to throw the ball. He was getting pressure and could not throw the ball down field. He cut back and started running backwards away from the pressure. He was going to get tackled for a huge loss so he threw the ball to Grossman near the other sideline. Grossman got tackled for a 4 yard loss. The refs threw a flag saying that the QB is an inelgible receiver. Later on the radio I heard that if the QB is in a shot gun he is an eligible receiver. If he takes the snap under center he is ineligible. What is the logic to this? I was under the assumption that the QB was always eligible.

Don't know the specifics, but a QB is eleigble at any time if he is the one who does not pass it or the first one not to touch the ball if he does pass it (deflection).

If in a shotgun, the ball can be hiked to another player in the backfield, which makes the "QB" a legal receiver. When under center he is the "QB."

Originally thought this was a question about Brad Johnson (I think it was him), who threw a TD pass to himself. Double dipped on the points. :D

Edited by Riffraff

1. A forward pass may be touched or caught by any eligible receiver. All members of the defensive team are eligible. Eligible receivers on the offensive team are players on either end of line (other than center, guard, or tackle) or players at least one yard behind the line at the snap. A T-formation quarterback is not eligible to receive a forward pass during a play from scrimmage.

Exception: T-formation quarterback becomes eligible if pass is previously touched by an eligible receiver.

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/forwardpass

Originally thought this was a question about Brad Johnson (I think it was him), who threw a TD pass to himself. Double dipped on the points. :D

Great memory Riffraff. It was against the Jets at the Meadowlands. I was at the game and had BJ in my lineup that week. The guys in my league thought I was kidding when I said I'd get points for both the pass and the TD but it actually happened.

Of course, I still lost the game....!

A T-formation quarterback is not eligible to receive a forward pass during a play from scrimmage.

I understand the different times when a QB is eligible or ineligible but what I don't understand is why a QB would be ineligible in a T formation? What is the cause to put in this rule. What would give an offense such a big advantage if the QB was eligilbe in a T formation?

The pass was deflected by a D-lineman and Brad caught it and ran it in the end zone. I remeber the play also.