[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Balance of power in the AL

Guest Cherni

Since the all-star break the AL Central has undergone some serious changes. Detroit, who once looked unstoppable, hasn't won back to back games since the middle of August. Their young arms have failed them time and time again since then. Unforunately for the Tigers most of their starters haven't ever pitched this many innings in a season. I personally see it getting worse before it gets better.

Minnesota might as well pack it in losing Liriano for the season, unless Santana can pitch every night. Radke and the kid Garza could step it up and pitch lights out for the remainder of the season, but that still might not be enough IMO.

This leaves the White Sox who have a golden opportunity to step it up and try and repeat last years success. They're only 3 back in the central and I expect Detroit to keep falling. The Twins have lost a lot of their momentum in losing Liriano IMO, the next few weeks should be very exciting in the Central/WC race.

However I don't think any of those teams will stop the Yankees from making it to the WS. They're by far the best team in the AL. Adding Abreu was a stroke of genius, he has almost as many RBI as games played for the Bombers. As much as I like to hate on them, they're going to be a formidable force in the playoffs with their lineup. I know it all comes down to pitching but with Muss and Wang, and a kinder, more gentler RJ, they're stacked top to bottom.

Thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have stated several times that I did not think the Tigers' young arms would hold up, but I expected this to sort itself out at least 6 weeks ago....so they have still proved to be a formidable team.

I honestly think the division race is completely up for grabs. The White Sox and the Twins play the last series of the year and that will mean something.

Unless the White Sox change something up, I still see them as a team that is expecting thing to fall their way. Posednik is terrible this year, and if Crede's back doesn't get better, my boys will be in trouble.

Their pitching is getting better on the starting side, but Jenks has nothing left in the tank....Unless Hermanson can set up and they move McDougal to the closer spot, expect a few more late inning blowups from them as well.

Too close to call.

Hard to argue with any of that. Although Minnesota has made up a lot of ground while Liriano has been out.

Oh and :D

I think the air came out of Minnesota's balloon though. They did make up ground but it's very demorilizing (sp) to lose a stud like Liriano for the season. They were riding high for a while, I just don't think they're very dangerous anymore. With Santana/Liriano they were my favorites to make it to the WS, now, not so much.

My confidence in the Sox chances is not as strong as yours but thanks for the pep-talk.

Well I didn't say the Sox were strong, however given the fact that their opponents have gotten significantly weaker, if they keep doing what they're doing, they'll win the division IMO. I just said they have a golden opportunity. We'll see if Ozzie can rally the troops.

It's not like it was a given that Liriano was going to be back. The chances of him being back for the playoffs was about 50/50. Nobody in the organization was very confident that he was going to make a recovery and be back to what he was three months ago. I don't think losing him now has burst their bubble at all. Disappointing, yes. But, at the same time, I think there is a bit of relief because now they don't have to wonder if he'll be back. They know exactly what needs to be accomplished, and exactly who they will have available to get it done.

At this point, I'm almost more concerned with Radke's status.... If he goes down as well, the experience lost might be more of a hit than losing Liriano's talent. And, they DID make up most of the ground lately without Liriano. Regardless, I think it is definitely going to be an interesting next couple of weeks. I think it's going to come down to the final weekend, when the Twins host the Sox. Minnesota has a big road trip ahead of them, though, starting tonight, where they face three teams that they have historically had trouble with over the years. This year, however, they are 14-9 against Cleveland, Boston, and Baltimore, and that's including losing a 3-game sweep to Cleveland early in April.

I think Santana should get some strong consideration for MVP this year. If he gets to 20 wins and the Twins make the playoffs, I think he deserves to win the award. Nobody is more valuable to their team, in my opinion. Without him, they are a .500 team, even with Liriano.

It's not like it was a given that Liriano was going to be back. The chances of him being back for the playoffs was about 50/50. Nobody in the organization was very confident that he was going to make a recovery and be back to what he was three months ago. I don't think losing him now has burst their bubble at all. Disappointing, yes. But, at the same time, I think there is a bit of relief because now they don't have to wonder if he'll be back. They know exactly what needs to be accomplished, and exactly who they will have available to get it done.

At this point, I'm almost more concerned with Radke's status.... If he goes down as well, the experience lost might be more of a hit than losing Liriano's talent. And, they DID make up most of the ground lately without Liriano. Regardless, I think it is definitely going to be an interesting next couple of weeks. I think it's going to come down to the final weekend, when the Twins host the Sox. Minnesota has a big road trip ahead of them, though, starting tonight, where they face three teams that they have historically had trouble with over the years. This year, however, they are 14-9 against Cleveland, Boston, and Baltimore, and that's including losing a 3-game sweep to Cleveland early in April.

I think Santana should get some strong consideration for MVP this year. If he gets to 20 wins and the Twins make the playoffs, I think he deserves to win the award. Nobody is more valuable to their team, in my opinion. Without him, they are a .500 team, even with Liriano.

I hear what you're saying about not worrying about him anymore, but he was supposed to be back in the picture and pitching in the post-season. He made his rehab starts and what not, he was supposed to be on the playoff roster, no doubt about it.

As far as bursting their bubble, it has to have some effect on the team. They're resilient, but come on man. you lose Liriano, who would be the #1 starter on most teams in contention and step down to Brad Radke? It's a HUGH downgrade to say the least. Now I wouldn't mind facing the Twins in the WS. Santana is scary but he's only 1 guy. He can't pitch every night. It's a HUGH blow to this team and there's no way around it. If any team lost their #2 guy it would hurt bad, but the fact is that he's a freakin stud and losing him hurts more than if he was a "garden variety" #2 starter.

Santana will not be the MVP of the AL IMO. Jeter/Dye will win the award. He's definitely winning the Cy Young, but I seriously doubt the MVP. There have been 42 MVP awards since 1985, one was a pitcher in Eckersley who won both the MVP and the Cy. It COULD happen, but I seriously doubt it with the years Jeter/Dye and even Ortiz are having.

Trust me, they were HOPING he would be back, but it's been common knowledge in Minnesota for a while now that there was a very good chance he would not make a full recovery in time for the post-season. Wishful thinking is what I would call it.

As far as Radke vs. Liriano, there is no doubt who is the more dominating pitcher (Liriano). My only point is how many times have you seen the phenom young pitcher fall apart in a post-season start, while the veteran pitcher can frequently seem to use his experience to put together a quality start when they need it the most. I'm not saying I would rather have a healthy Radke than a healthy Liriano. But, given that there was a 60-70 percent chance that Liriano was not going to be at 100% (no matter what people were saying), I am more concerned with whether or not Radke has anything left at this point. I have been assuming Liriano wouldn't be around for the playoffs for two months now. If he had managed to make it back, it would have been a bonus. But, Radke has basically been throwing with a stretched out rubber-band arm for months, so there's no telling when it's going to give completely.

As far as Santana for MVP, I doubt it will happen either. I think he IS the most valuable player to his team in the American League, however. It's just a shame that the voters will never vote for a starting pitcher, even when it makes sense.

Trust me, they were HOPING he would be back, but it's been common knowledge in Minnesota for a while now that there was a very good chance he would not make a full recovery in time for the post-season. Wishful thinking is what I would call it.

As far as Radke vs. Liriano, there is no doubt who is the more dominating pitcher (Liriano). My only point is how many times have you seen the phenom young pitcher fall apart in a post-season start, while the veteran pitcher can frequently seem to use his experience to put together a quality start when they need it the most. I'm not saying I would rather have a healthy Radke than a healthy Liriano. But, given that there was a 60-70 percent chance that Liriano was not going to be at 100% (no matter what people were saying), I am more concerned with whether or not Radke has anything left at this point. I have been assuming Liriano wouldn't be around for the playoffs for two months now. If he had managed to make it back, it would have been a bonus. But, Radke has basically been throwing with a stretched out rubber-band arm for months, so there's no telling when it's going to give completely.

As far as Santana for MVP, I doubt it will happen either. I think he IS the most valuable player to his team in the American League, however. It's just a shame that the voters will never vote for a starting pitcher, even when it makes sense.

I hear you, elbow injuries are never guaranteed to get you back in the lineup, I'm on prosportsdaily and spoke with a lot of Twins fans regarding this. They seemed to believe he would be back, which is why I said that. Regardless we're both in agreement in the Liriano > Radke, but you make a point with the veteran v. rookie postseason appearance.

I do agree that Santana is more valuable to his team than Jeter is to the Yankees or Dye is to CHI. Santana is unhittable at home and pretty close to that on the road. He steps on the mound in Minn, and the Twins are guaranteed a victory. It's unfortunate that pitchers are rarely considered MVP's even though when they pitch, every 5th day, they make much more of an impact than a position player makes in 4 AB's per game. No respect I tell you, no respect. :D

Please note the Lirianoless, all-the-air-has-come-out-of-the-balloon Twins continued on their merry way with a 9-4 spanking of the Cleveland Idiots tonight.

I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of? - this team is way more than the sum of it's parts. Check out Silva, Garza and Bonser ERA over the last few starts. Not too shabby as long as we can hit the round ball with the round stick and continue to wear down opposing pitchers (Lee tonight took 100 pitches to get through four IP).

Also, playoffs need a 4 man rotation so in a 5 game series, we could pitch Johan twice if we really had to and probably pitch him twice in the ACLS too.

Sure, the Twins may well fall short, but I'll take this team over the limo wankers from NYC any day.

Please note the Lirianoless, all-the-air-has-come-out-of-the-balloon Twins continued on their merry way with a 9-4 spanking of the Cleveland Idiots tonight.

I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of? - this team is way more than the sum of it's parts. Check out Silva, Garza and Bonser ERA over the last few starts. Not too shabby as long as we can hit the round ball with the round stick and continue to wear down opposing pitchers (Lee tonight took 100 pitches to get through four IP).

Also, playoffs need a 4 man rotation so in a 5 game series, we could pitch Johan twice if we really had to and probably pitch him twice in the ACLS too.

Sure, the Twins may well fall short, but I'll take this team over the limo wankers from NYC any day.

And fine game by Baker this afternoon, given his struggles most of the year. :D

If these young arms can take the pressure of a pennant race, and keep the intensity afterwards. we could make some noise in the playoffs.

14 games left and the Tigers have extended their lead over the White Sox to 5 games for the last playoff spot. Still hold a two game lead over the Twins but I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable about the wildcard.

Twins just one game behind the Tigers now and four ahead of the White Sox. Tough series at Boston is looming followed by a series in Baltimore - by the end of this week, the picture could be a lot clearer....or even murkier.

Well the Twins proved me right once again. :D

They've gone 8-2 in their past 10 while the others have gone 4-6. This is getting really exciting, I'm very interested to see what transpires over the next few weeks.

The NL West is shaping up to be a nice battle as well.

Well the Twins proved me right once again. :D

They've gone 8-2 in their past 10 while the others have gone 4-6. This is getting really exciting, I'm very interested to see what transpires over the next few weeks.

The NL West is shaping up to be a nice battle as well.

Two more wins in the bag since this post......that's 5 straight over Boston this year. One more and it's a season sweep. The magic number for the WC is now 6 with 11 games left.

This Twins team is VERY hard to play against. They scrap and do all the little things right.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Two more wins in the bag since this post......that's 5 straight over Boston this year. One more and it's a season sweep. The magic number for the WC is now 6 with 11 games left.

This Twins team is VERY hard to play against. They scrap and do all the little things right.

Pitching and defense. I really haven't seen many of their games but they are definitely impressing me. The Chi Sox are falling off the face of the Earth I'm very suprised. Nice run for the Twins, keep it up. :D

Unfortunately the Red Sox are giving the Twins those games. Some of those pitchers shouldn't even be in AAA. Brutal.

Well congrads to you the twin and tiger fans. im so down with my sox, i went to a game yesterday, and i just wanted to leave early to beat traffic. I'm never that guy I'm always the guy that says hey lets wait i would hate to leave on a great come back but not yesterday.

At the beginning of the year if you told me, that creede would have a career HR high, that Konerko, dye, and thome would have each 100+RBIs, with 40+ HRs, and stay healthy all year long. that jenks would have 40+ saves, that none of the pitchers would get hurt (jose was out for a start i think), that AJ would have a better year than last year. there a few others but i'll stop. I would bet the farm on them going to the playoffs. thank god i dont have a farm.

but anyway congrads to twins and tigers. good luck and make the central proud.

Edited by whitem0nkey

It was Schilling last night. And most of our pitchers came up from AAA this year.

Schilling for 5 then the minor league contingent. My Red Sox insider says most of those guys have no shot at making the Bigs Full time.