[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey Steelers Homers...

mroban

I picked up Santonio Holmes in my keeper league. Despite his PR foibles, the guy looks like the real deal at WR for them. I loved him at OSU and think he can be a big time player in the NFL. Is Cowher going to let him start this year? He is much better than Cedric Wilson and should have a more prominent role.

Holmes won't get on track until the Pittsburgh passing game gets on track. Even then Hines Ward is always going to be Roethlisberger's main target until he is gone. I'd imagine Holmes will likely be considered the #2 WR next year if he is not already, but Pittsburgh will continue to remain a run-oriented offense as long a Cower is the coach. Fantasy-wise that doesn't translate well for Holmes regardless of his position. I can definately see some big games for him on the horizon based on potential, but those games will be no more consistant than Burress was in the same role and probably less so with Roeth's main focus on Ward.

Edited by rajncajn

I am a faithful fan, and I see things a bit different these days:

Bettis being gone has taken the running game, and made it a weapon, not a defense like it was. The Steelers get up, Bettis grinds the game and the clock out. Now, with parker, whom I love, he's the slasher they haven't had, but I don't think he can grind a game out against stacked lines. Davenport has seen a little of this, but he's not the answer either.

Now the Steelers seem to be more pass orientated. Ward is going to get his catches, but looking at how the season has played out, Ben is going to throw the ball 30+ times now, and unless they draft a huge back, next year also. Holmes streches the field, like Berrian, like Branch, he's going to open things up, and while he is single covered (Ward doubled) he is going to have a big second half.

Pick him up now while he is cheap.

Now is the time to pick-up Santonio Holmes in a keeper or dynasty league. He has shown improvement in the receiving game, and Cowher has already hinted that he will be taking over the #2 role completely over Cedrick Wilson, possibly starting this week. (He had been rotating with Wilson every 3rd series). Holmes is the #2 leading receiver on the Steelers, and that has been with spot duty at #2 & #3. He has a lot of talent and has shown good hands and a nice burst. The Steelers have been throwing the ball more this year, as they can't depend on the running game like they have in the past. Parker is a solid back, but, can't grind out consistently like Bettis did in the 2nd half of games. Also, as Roethlisberger gets more experience, he will be trusted to throw more and more during his career. Despite those that only look in the statbook and not watch the games are saying, Roethlisberger has played very well in 3 of his last 4 games, the exception being the pathetic performance against the Raiders. He had great games against KC & ATL, and 2 of his 3 picks last week were desperation throws against DEN. He looked great at times and threw for over 400 yards. I really think Santonio Holmes has a lot of potential and is flying low under the radar. Like I said, now would be the time, as his price is as low as I think it will ever be. He may even help as a #3 WR this year, if he takes over the #2 WR role as Cowher has suggested. Cowher has been raving about his play at WR for a few weeks now.

There is no doubt that Menudo is right on this one. Holmes has actually looked like a very great WR in some very limited chances. One thing that is for sure, this kid can get deep and this kid can catch. I picked him up in two of my leagues two weeks ago as I have seen the flashes that make me think that this kid can be great.

I will also echo what Menudo and Returntosender have said about the passing game. People are way down on Ben but truth be told he has spread the ball downfield pretty often this year and once Holmes takes over that number two spot, maybe this week, he is going to be a legit starter in most fantasy leagues. He not going to be a number 1 and probably not a number 2 but he will be on top of the number 3's for most of us. IMHO