[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You have your #1 RB in place, do you...

Bronco Billy

Offshoot of a trade veto thread.

The real situation is as valid as any hypothetical, so let's use it. League is a cash league, scoring is relative.

You have a team with LT on board already. Now you have a choice between whether you want Shaun Alexander as your #2 RB or Laurence Maroney as your #2 RB. Which would you rather have?

Does you strategy change whether it is a two man keeper league, like in the trade veto thread, or a dynasty league? What about having a dynasty team that looks to be a favorite to win the league title next year?

Thoughts?

Edited by Bronco Billy

Offshoot of a trade veto thread.

The real situation is as valid as any hypothetical, so let's use it. League is a cash league, scoring is relative.

You have a team with LT on board already. Now you have a choice between whether you want Shaun Alexander as your #2 RB or Laurence Maroney as your #2 RB. Which would you rather have?

Does you strategy change whether it is a two man keeper league, like in the trade veto thread, or a dynasty league? What about having a dynasty team that looks to be a favorite to win the league title next year?

Thoughts?

If I'm in the playoffs already with a decent lead and can afford a loss (or even two) then I'd probably want Alexander on my team with the hopes that his return at the end of this season would help me win a Championship.

If I need a guaranteed victory in order to keep me in the playoffs, then I'd maybe want Maroney.

If it's a 2 man keeper, I would like to have Alexander. If it's a Dynasty, then I definitely want Maroney.

What exactly is the difference between keeper and dynasty?

Keeper allows a limited number of players to be maintained on a roster in a successive year(s). ie - a 2 player keeper means you can retain any two players that you choose the successive year(s), and the rest of your roster is returned to the free agent pool to be drafted.

Dynasty leagues allow teams to retain all of their players the following year.

Keeper allows a limited number of players to be maintained on a roster in a successive year(s). ie - a 2 player keeper means you can retain any two players that you choose the successive year(s), and the rest of your roster is returned to the free agent pool to be drafted.

Dynasty leagues allow teams to retain all of their players the following year.

OK, so after a few years everyone would have like 50 players on their roster? When do you dump players in a dynasty league? I don't want to sound like a tool, but I have never been involved in a dynasty league. I am assuming the drafts are horrible.

To answer your questions, I think I would rather go with Maroney over Alexander in any type of keeper league. Alexander will be 30 next season and has a lot of miles on him. Maroney looks like he could be an elite RB as soon as Dillon is gone. LT is still young so you could have two young stud RBs for a few years.

BTW, I just trade Alexander in my keeper for Willie Parker and Julius Jones. Alexander won me the last two championships but now I would rather get younger before he has no value at all.

Edited by ebartender

OK, so after a few years everyone would have like 50 players on their roster? When do you dump players in a dynasty league? I don't want to sound like a tool, but I have never been involved in a dynasty league. I am assuming the drafts are horrible.

Depends on the rules of the dynasty. Some have a roster limit but individual players can be kept indefinitely. Other dynasty leagues have contracts and salary caps - once the contract is up, he is up for rebidding for his rights.

Drafts in a dynasty league are a blast. They usually are all rookies (some leagues allow FAs to be drafted with the rookies) and are held usually very closely after the end of the real NFL draft, some time around the beginning of May - before any owners have a chance to see players actually play against NFL competiton. They require some significant research since there is no NFL track record to go on.

Just because you can keep all of your rostered players doesn't mean that there aren't roster limits. In our IDP dynasty league, we have an 8 round rookie draft, and between rookies & offseason FA sessions, owners have to cut between 8 & 20+ players before the season starts. Sometimes those choices can be very difficult, since you can carry players based upon your projected potential in later years.

Player cuts in our league start with the first cut down date after the first offseason FA session at the end of June to 60 players, after the first full week of the preseason to 55 players, to 50 players after the 3rd week of the preseason, and to 45 players before the start of the regular season. We're also allowed a 5 player taxi squad for 1st & 2nd year players only, and a 3 player IR for players who are listed as "out" or on IR only.

Before you gasp at the roster limits, understand that we start 20 players each week. 7 on O, 11 on D, 1 K, & 1 P.

Edited by Bronco Billy

What about having a dynasty team that looks to be a favorite to win the league title next year?

Thoughts?

I think that whether the team in question is in a position to win this year or not is a big part of this decision. If I'm trying to win it now, I go with Maroney. Alexander's return is still uncertain and his O-line hasn't been playing that well. If I'm down in the dumps right now, I compete next year with a healthy Alexander. For all we know, NE may still be RBBC with Dillon next season.

BTW, I just trade Alexander in my keeper for Willie Parker and Julius Jones. Alexander won me the last two championships but now I would rather get younger before he has no value at all.

:D

:D

The answer to the question depends on what the rest of the roster looks like.

Is my QB Drew Brees or Donovan McNabb? Do I have to start a TE ... and, if I do, is my TE someone like Gates or someone like Desmond Clark? Are my WRs Holt, AJohnson and DJax ... or ... HWard, Keyshawn and Ike Bruce? What does my bench look like? Are my backup RBs guys like MBarber, MTurner, CBenson ... or are they guys like Jerome Harrison and Cedric Houston? Do I have a RB3? If so, is it Reuben Droughns or is it Chester Taylor?