[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hiking the Football

Footballjoe

My wife just saw the pizza commercial with Steve Spurrier. When the QB lifted up the center's dress she "grossed out". Why do the QB's have to put their hands up the center's butt? Did a bunch of gay guys start football, she asked? You see what I have to put up with? Maybe thats why I am going bald? :D Anyone have a good answer to my wifes question?

My wife just saw the pizza commercial with Steve Spurrier. When the QB lifted up the center's dress she "grossed out". Why do the QB's have to put their hands up the center's butt? Did a bunch of gay guys start football, she asked? You see what I have to put up with? Maybe thats why I am going bald? :D Anyone have a good answer to my wifes question?

:D:bash:

:D Anyone have a good answer to my wifes question?

Back when football first started, the backs (QB, FB, HB, Wingback) did NOT line up directly under center. The center used what is, I believe, called "directional snapping", where he could snap the ball to ANY of the backs in the backfield. With the advent the T formation, the quarterback first went up under center and took the snap directly from him.

I would guess that the "hand-up-the-butt snap" is safer - less can go wrong.

So tell your wife that the guy who invented the t-formation was a homo, and everyone else just thought he had a good idea.

The hand-on-butt method is used so that the center can feel where to put the ball, rather than just blindly putting it through his legs, thus minimizing the potential for dropped snaps.

Since demonstrations aid explanations, perform the following with your wife to help her see that it's easier to locate things that are touching you when you can't see them. Tell your wife to bend over and have her look foward. Stand behind her and instruct her to...you know what, I was going to write something really lewd here, but fortunately for all you huddlers, my chinese food just arrived.

The hand-on-butt method is used so that the center can feel where to put the ball, rather than just blindly putting it through his legs, thus minimizing the potential for dropped snaps.

Since demonstrations aid explanations, perform the following with your wife to help her see that it's easier to locate things that are touching you when you can't see them. Tell your wife to bend over and have her look foward. Stand behind her and instruct her to...you know what, I was going to write something really lewd here, but fortunately for all you huddlers, my chinese food just arrived.

Mrs HR does this crap to me all the time.

Once the game evolved away from the directional snapping method (sited above) it is interesting to see some of the variations that were used to receive the ball from the center. The original stances were very humorous when compared to the relatively secure method incorporated today.

The QB's initially got very close to center in sort of squat down stance but did not actually touch the center, arms extended. Many times, the direction of the play was then telegraphed to the defence because of the body/foot direction the person receiving the ball would have to cheat one way or another. What evolved out of this style of receiving the ball from center was the veer/option style offenses where the “QB” would travel down the line and either commit to a seam or pitch the ball before he was gang tackled. Also evolving out of these early formations with the “QB” so close to center was the Wishbone.

It became evident over the years that ball security was enhanced by “getting up under center” where the QB actually touches the center so he knows exactly where to put the ball. This reduced fumbled snaps and also started the “QB” in a more square stance to the line-of-scrimmag, thus reducing the ammount of tipping your play direction to the defense.

What is interesting is how people think the “Shotgun” formation is some "new fangled" way to buy the QB more time in the pocket, whereas the reality is that this is the type of formation that was basically originally used in the birth of the game.

If you ever have a chance to watch any of the NFL Films historical shows, do it, and have your wife watch them with you. It gives you a great perspective as to how the game has evolved!

Fortunately? Clearly you don't know this group...

Politely explain to your wife - she can't help it that she is a female & therefore challenged intellectually - that this is a perfectly sensible solution to putting the ball in play within the rules.

The offensive team has to move the ball in order for play to start. However, it is also required to have its players aligned behind the line of scrimmage. That requires the center to have his hands in front of the rest of his body when he snaps the ball. Now, the center could stand sideways & snap the ball as an alternative, but it would give the DT or NT a gigantic advantage and so this is undesireable.

The center is also in an immediately vulnerable position, as he usually is heads up with a massive aggressive player on the other side of the ball, yet at least one hand is tied up ensuring that the ball is delivered to the QB upon the start of the play. In additon, being in the center of the offensive line, it is condusive to having the center make offensive line calls on blocking assignments for the O-line. Because he needs to look at the defense while he is centering the ball, and he needs to deliver the ball to the QB and then get into blocking position as quickly as possible, it naturally makes sense that he have his head up and paying attention to other things than snapping the football. That means it is extremely important that he be physically in contact with the QB when snapping the football. Because he is delivering the ball between his legs for reasons explained earlier, it makes perfect sense to have the QB make physical contact with the center, with the QBs hand making contact where the ball is going to be delivered to the QB - at the center's crotch. This point of delivery allows the center to get into his blocking stance quickly while also allowing the QB to remain as upright as possible to move his feet laterally & backwards to either deliver the football to a RB or to drop back into his passing stance.

Now, teams could use the shotgun to exchange the ball between the center & QB; however, just as running the ball is a much more secure way of attempting to move the ball down the field as opposed to passing, a direct snap between the center & QB is a much more secure way to deliver the ball to the QB than a shotgun snap - and ball security is extremely important to successful football teams.

Now that the direct snap has been explained, tell that stupid female doggie to stop worrying about man items that she couldn't possible understand with her naturally stunted intellectual capability, shut her freakin' mouth, & get you a beer & chips. NOW!

Edited by Bronco Billy

Now that the direct snap has been explained, tell that stupid female doggie to stop worrying about man items that she couldn't possible understand with her naturally stunted intellectual capability, shut her freakin' mouth, & get you a beer & chips. NOW!

:D I don't think you want me to have Mrs FBJ pay you a visit, it could be bad for your health. For an attractive, semi-petite, middle aged woman she can pack a punch. :D

Edited by Footballjoe

:D I don't think you want me to have Mrs FBJ pay you a visit, it could be bad for your health. For an attractive, semi-petite, middle aged woman she can pack a punch. :D

And Mrs FBJ would like to know if you want to be buried or cremated since she has access to both. Yes, that is right she works at a Funeral Home.