[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fast Willie Parker next year...

Savage Beatings

There are some guys that seem to be decent enough producers that for some reason or another I just always seem to avoid. For years I would not touch Tiki Barber, and looking back I can't really say why. :D

I have the same attitude towards Parker now. He is currently scoring as about the 6th ranked RB in most of my leagues. He is tied for 4th for TDs by a RB. But I'm fairly sure that I won't be drafting him next year.

Anybody else have a weird aversion to a player who clearly produces at a respectable level?

I have Parker in a dynasty league where I co-own a team with a friend. We were offered Parker for DeAngelo Williams early in the year and we took the deal but I was very hesitant to do so. Just have that same weird aversion to him for some reason. I just don't "trust" him and I have no clue as to why. Maybe it's my perception that he is inconsistent. I don't know... but if it wasn't for having a partner in this league, I would never have done the deal.

Another couple of players that I have avoided over the years was Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper. Even when Culpepper was having that huge year awhile back, I was just scared to death to own him. I did draft Moss one year though, but only because I knew I could trade him to a guy who had a huge hard-on for the guy every year and was able to get a nice back in exchange and won a super bowl.

Maybe you have the perception that he is inconsistent and gets carries taken away by another RB.

And he's no more inconsistent than any other 2nd tier guy - actually, his pass-catching ability has bailed me out of a subpar running performance by him a couple times - and has no one vulturing carries from him on a regular basis.

I'd also say that a smart guy will never out and out "avoid" a good player - he just values him somewhat lower than where other will pick him, and a ways lower than the people who LOVE him. I feel your issues with Tiki - I got burned by grabbing him in '01 - his WORST year in the last 8 - and have been gunshy about counting on him as my RB1 ever since, though he clearly is worthy of that spot. Hence, I'd take him if he slid to me in the mid-2nd, but he never will.

Wait, you aren't trolling to get me to trade him to you for cheap in NORRIS, are ya, SB? You sly dog.

Wait, you aren't trolling to get me to trade him to you for cheap in NORRIS, are ya, SB? You sly dog.

:D I'm not that clever!

And I'm not saying that I wouldn't EVER draft the guy... its just that I would value him so much lower than most of the other people that I am typically drafting with, that he basically would not end up on any of my rosters.

He's just one of those guys that I don't feel like I can rely on (and Ireally don't have anyting to back up this feeling... its just my gut). Probably to my own detriment... but sometimes you gotta play your instincts.

:D I'm not that clever!

And I'm not saying that I wouldn't EVER draft the guy... its just that I would value him so much lower than most of the other people that I am typically drafting with, that he basically would not end up on any of my rosters.

He's just one of those guys that I don't feel like I can rely on (and Ireally don't have anyting to back up this feeling... its just my gut). Probably to my own detriment... but sometimes you gotta play your instincts.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at in my post - EXAMPLE: I had Vick this year, because I couldn't pass up his potential upside in the 11th round; normally he'd go in the 4th or 5th, which is WAY higher than I'd ever consider drafting him, as things have stood for the past 3 or 4 years.

Willie Parker isn't the prototypical NFL RB. Physically, he is a lot like Tiki Barber. Will he continue to overperform compared to expectations, like Tiki has done for the last 5-6 seasons? Will his small size cause him to wear down in the next year or two? I can't say. However, Willie Parker is in a very good system for an RB, where the emphasis is on ball control and running to set up play action.

I know where youre coming from: sometimes, you just don't "like" a player even if he appears to be both a solid points producer and an upstanding guy (he's no TO).

I had Stephen Davis on my "will not draft list" for years, then he fell to me in an early rd one year 2nd or 3rd and I bit, knowing he'd miss a month but feeling that was decent value for him anyways.

Although not Willie Parker, I'm that way on both Auburn backs: Brown and Caddy. They're both too streaky for me.