[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

roster reduction

ljbrun

In the next couple of weeks I have to reduce my roster to 4. After that we can trade players/draft picks until mid-summer when we select our keepers (2 mandatory). In the end we must still have the same number of draft picks (13). This was our 1st year and keepers can be kept forever.

I have the 2nd pick overall.

Of the following:

Steve Smith, L. Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, L. Fitzgerald, Drew Brees,

Who would you value most as a keeper/trade bait?

Right now I'm targeting Smith and either Maroney or Williams as my keepers and thinking I might be able to use Brees as trade bait for an early draft pick (I wouldn't trade for him, but with his performance this year, someone else might).

Any thoughts? I appreciate any help.

Happy New Year! :D

I would actually keep Fitz and use Steve Smith as possible trade bait...Smith has been very inconsistent despite showing flashes of brilliance...Fitz will be a top 10 receiver for years to come...

A valid point and I like the QB situation at AZ. :D

Tough call bro, but Fitzgerald IMO is a MUST keep. Dude, he's playing for the lousy Cardinals, but that's an offense that's waiting to explode. Even with no consitancy, their passing game with an up and coming superstar in Leinart is something that cannot be overlooked. Fitz is a Stud. And as for your other keeper, from what he has shown this season, and with the aging Dillon behind him, I would hang on to Maroney. This guy will be one of the top 3 backs in the league in maybe as little as 2 years. Williams has potential, but Carolina is in shambles, which brings me to Smith. Use him as trade bait. Someone will jump on the chance to get him. He's too inconsistant, but every week he has that big game potential. Brees is the same way. If you are able to use him as trade bait, do it. Next year, there will be an abundance of qaulity QB's that you will be able to draft. Good luck though!!

I'd hang onto Brees, Fitz, Smith, and Maroney as my keepers for now -- Maroney has a big future upside in a couple of years. I suspect you're right about somebody trading for Brees. You can also use the 2 receivers as leverage -- I agree that Fitz is better, but suspect that most folks like Smith more -- you can make a trade offer and give your trading partner his choice of receivers -- you'd be amazed how often a guy who would turn down an offer of Fitz or an offer of Smith will accept one of them when you let him make the choice.

And if you don't trade Brees, isn't he still worth keeping? 4 keepers translates to the equivalent of 4 draft rounds, right? I would think Brees probably goes into next year as the #2 fantasy QB.

I still think either WR is a good keeper -- can you only keep 2 each year? If so, don't you look at the short term, and IF Maroney and Dillon are still expected to split carries in 2007 (which you should know by the summer), doesn't that make Maroney NOT worth keeping? You might want to hang on to both Smith and Fitz, and then draft RB's with your first couple of picks.

The problem is supply and demand, I guess -- if everybody protects an RB, the leftovers could be slim.

I agree Brees is the best trade bait and someone you could probably get a good pick for.

The problem is supply and demand, I guess -- if everybody protects an RB, the leftovers could be slim.
I believe that this will be the case as the "haves" will probably improve their draft position by trading their expendable, but productive, RB's to the "have nots" and the RB distribution will end up relatively flat, aside from the top 2 teams (one with LT & W. Parker and the other with F. Gore & S. Jackson). As a 14 team league I imagine the top 18 +/- ranked RB's will be stashed away as keepers. With WCOFF scoring the WR's can be pretty valuable , but I still think most teams will still value RB's higher even if they're in RBBC situations.

This is the 1st offseason for our league and it will be interesting to see how it pans out. As a new league, we don't really have all the rules ironed out. I'm not even sure if we can pick up FA's once we reduce our rosters to 4. If we can, I'll be keeping a watch for movement that could significantly change a player's value, e.g. if Turner moves to a team where he'll be the starter.