[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peter King is an idiot

Bill Swerski

Undoubtedly a great receiver. First ballot hall of famer. And I don't have a problem with the way he plays - given his stature, and apparently his nature, it makes sense.

But, the dude plays soft. There are not too many football players out there (at least that I have seen) that avoid contact the way that he does.

And if you're a football player that avoids contact, you are likely going to get tagged with that label.

I'm sure he cares what Peter King thinks! If he plays soft, and is a winner and a future HOF member-so? :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure about that? His career numbers are much better than, say, Michael Irvin's, he caught the winning TD in a SB, and he'll probably retire as the Rams' all-time leading receiver.

BTW, I thought that Bruce's one major injury was a torn hamstring in '98. I don't recall him suffering a major knee injury, although I might be wrong.

:D I don't know why, but I thought he had missed the bulk of two years, not just 1998. He seemed to be injured forever, and I recall him being pulled from my draft list because of the risk, though I did grab in in 2001.

I stand corrected. He should get in, especially since they let in the pimp.

Marvin will end up as one of top 5 best receivers of all time ,I put him in top 3 already

All due respect to Harrison, who is fantastic and arguably the best guy out there today, but NO F*CKING WAY is he top 3. Ever.

BTW, I thought that Bruce's one major injury was a torn hamstring in '98. I don't recall him suffering a major knee injury, although I might be wrong.

Swerski is right - Bruce was having hamstring issues (I don't think it was a tear - if so, it wasn't a major one) in '97 and '98, limiting him to 17 games.

I'm not going to discuss the relative merits of Harrison - his stats are quite able to speak for him.

I will say that the title of this thread "Peter King is an idiot" is the most blatant statement of the obvious in 2007 so far. He is to be ignored, as are all buffoons like him.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Chavez , by the time harrison is done his #'s will be right there , probably second only to rice ...and I think that's enough to put him in top 3 , imo ...guy is a top flight receiver who does it right week in and week out ...rock steady

I won't disagree that he's a top flight WR who does it right week in and week out...I just think his stats have been slightly padded because he plays in the most passing-friendly era in NFL history. Let's put it this way, my #2 WR of all time is a guy who has less than 500 catches and 8000 yds. But those catches and yards arguably had more relative value than those of a guy like Michael Irvin's far superior numbers.

..I don't think harrison should be penalized for playing in a pass happy generation or for a team that airs out it out a lot

I'm not saying PENALIZE him, I'm just saying look at his numbers relative to what others are doing in the same time period. Let's face it, a turd like Brandon Stokely got 1100 yds and 10 tds with Manning throwing to him - while that doesn't mean Harrison is a turd, that DOES mean that an 1100 yd, 10 td season ain't what it used to be.

Just out of curiousity , and its in no way meant to refute your last post chavez , how many wr ended up with 1100 yards and 10 td's this season ? I do not have the stats in front of me ( I am writing from my blackberry and its hard to surf ) but if I had to guess I would say 3 wr or less have those #'s / stats this season

Because like said above, he's still an all time top 5 WR. Hands down.

eh, i'm not so sure. based solely on numbers, sure. but what would his numbers be if he played for the oakland raiders? or how effective would he be if he played for a team that required its WRs to run-block, like the steelers or broncos?

Just out of curiousity , and its in no way meant to refute your last post chavez , how many wr ended up with 1100 yards and 10 td's this season ? I do not have the stats in front of me ( I am writing from my blackberry and its hard to surf ) but if I had to guess I would say 3 wr or less have those #'s / stats this season

Receiving yardsC Johnson	  1369M Harrison	 1366R Williams	 1310R Wayne		1310D Driver	   1295L Evans		1292A Boldin	   1203T Holt		 1188T Owens		1180S Smith		1166Receiving TDsT Owens		  13M Harrison	   12D Jackson		10T Holt		   10P Burress		10

DJax had 956 yds, Burress had 988 yds.

My points is that Brandon Stokely has as many 1000 yd season as Ray Berry, and 1 fewer 10 td seasons. Ricky Proehl is ahead of Charley Taylor, Don Maynard, Harold Charmichael, and Fred Biletnikoff on the all-time receptions list.

It's hard NOT to argue that offensive stats, as a whole, have become inflated; comparing a player today with a player pre-1978 is like comparing an apple to an orange.

what would his numbers be if he played for the oakland raiders? or how effective would he be if he played for a team that required its WRs to run-block, like the steelers or broncos?

....or, to go to my point, what would his numbers llook like if he'd been the best WR in the NFL from 1969-1977?

EDIT - just for argument's sake, I added up the numbers of the league leaders in receiving yards from 69-77 - they tallied 490-9771-90 tds. Not bad. But from 98-06, the league leaders in receiving yards combined for 922-13075-96 tds. That's nearly a 100% increase in rec, a 33% increase in yds, and tds are up in the area of 7%. See what I'm saying about the inflation in offensive stats?

Edited by Chavez

well, it's tough to take hits running little sideline routes and slants when you're down on the ground as soon as the ball gets there. when is the last time you can remember marvin taking a big-time stick? we don't know whether he holds on afterward or not, because it simply never happens.

Did you watch the SB? He got his clocked cleaned. I was surprised he returned to the game.

I'm not saying PENALIZE him, I'm just saying look at his numbers relative to what others are doing in the same time period. Let's face it, a turd like Brandon Stokely got 1100 yds and 10 tds with Manning throwing to him - while that doesn't mean Harrison is a turd, that DOES mean that an 1100 yd, 10 td season ain't what it used to be.

Can you really consider that the same when the QB that threw 1100yds/10td did so to 3 guys...and also set the TD record that year? If you can't catch 1100 yards and 10 TD when your QB throws for 49 TDs, something's wrong.

If marvin continues a few more seasons at his / this pace I beleive he has done enough to be in top 3 ....I realize stats are not everything but they still are the main measuring stick and he should not be penalized because of the era he played in imo

Edited by isleseeya

His rookie year, he caught 64 passes for 836 yards and 8 TD's. That was with Harbaugh and Paul Justin as his QB. Sean Dawkins was supposed to be the number 1 WR that year.

His second year, he caught 73 for 866 yards and 6 TD's. with Harbaugh, Justin, and Kelly Holcomb at QB.

Would he have the numbers he has today if Peyton Manning didn't come along? No. But Jerry Rice wouldn't have near the numbers he does if he didn't play with Joe Montana AND Steve Young.

As for not seeing Marvin get popped, you don't watch enough Colts football. He gets hit quite a bit. I can think back to the NE game when Rodney Harrison tried to rip his helmet off in mid-tackle on along catch.

Is Harrison as tough as Owens or Boldin? Nope. But he's missed SIX games in his entire career. Owens has missed eighteen. Boldin (in four years) has missed eight.

He's plenty tough. But his body couldn't handle being a YAC guy. He doesn't break tackles. He beats you with precision routes and great hands.

He's a top 2 WR all time in my book.

Edited by CaptainHook

This is why I think several Huddlers are also idiots...everyone is so quick to drop the "Rosie O'Donnell" line when a guy is hurt, as perceived by them, NOT BADLY ENOUGH, to not play or play a certain way.

I would suspect the media doesn't like Harrison as much as they should because he rarely, if ever, gives interviews...so why should the media defend him...in their twisted minds.

I see it all the time with local beat reporters for the Sabres and Bills. Some are biased, spiteful, grudge holding losers.

What bothers me is people calling players busts when they get hurt. I can see it if they are afraid to come back, but if you are really hurt it's a different story.

As for interviews when he asked questions at media day all the reporters were shocked. :D