[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peter King is an idiot

Bill Swerski

Just had the misfortune of listening to Dan Patrick interview Peter King on the radio (forgot to turn it off before lunch). King was "disappointed" in how Marvin didn't make an effort to swat down Peyton's INT in the first quarter. I actually agree, but I also seem to remember Marvin swatting down an errant Peyton pass later in the game. Not surprisingly, King didn't bother to bring up that one. :D King and Patrick then went on to talk about how Marvin RARELY goes over the middle to catch passes. Do these guys ever bother to WATCH the games that they're geting paid to cover?

I don't think that anybody will ever confuse Marvin with Hines Ward and he does have a habit of ducking to avoid hits, but can you blame a guy who weighs about 170 lbs. wet? Isn't that just self-preservation? And the remark that Marvin rarely goes over the middle is absolute crap. He usually runs at least two of those routes a game and had like a 26-yd reception going right through Urlacher Territory on Sunday.

I can't believe that Peter King - who has probably never strapped on a pair of shoulder pads in his life - is not only unfairly criticizing a future HOFer who came into the SB with a bad wrist and played through a leg injury, but he's on the freaking HOF committee as well. Geez, no wonder Art Monk can't get a break. :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree that King is an idiot, but I'm not sure this is why. :D

Harrison has always been the sort to avoid contact and hit the ground ASAP when I've seen him play. Now maybe that's self-preservation, but it does smack of a certain 'softness' as compared to a WR who will go across the middle and absorb some contact to wring every yard out of a reception. It's just a different style of play, which some value more than others.

I didn't catch the interview today, but here is what King wrote on MMQB this week:

3. I think there isn't a good-to-great player in this league who shies away from physical contact more than Marvin Harrison. The book is out on the guy -- hit him early and threaten to take him out of the game -- and everyone knows it. It's absurd he didn't crash into safety Chris Harris and break up his first-half interception.
I have actually wondered this at times. Well, not actually think that he's afraid of making physical contact. But that given the option, he takes the easy way out. Not that I exactly blame him, but there have been times where he caught the ball and immediately ran out of bounds when he could have picked up at least a few more yards if not quite a few. And these weren't during 2-minute drills where time was of the essence. These were like middle of the 3rd quarter times.

That being said, there have been quite a few times where Marvin catches the ball in the middle of two or three defenders and just absolutely gets his clocked cleaned with some hit. IIRC, there was a hit in the SB where Marvin was hit by two guys and his leg was bent back awkward and he somewhat limped off the field for a play or two.

Geez, no wonder Art Monk can't get a break. :D
Hall actually was actually an advocate for Monk this year...at least that is what he says. Too bad voting is kept secret behind closed doors.

Marvin Harrison is the best WR in the game, and has been for close to a decade. He gets double teamed all the time, yet is still consistently 10 yards open in every direction.

If you "duck hits" while playing that style of smart football does it really matter? I'd say YES it does because he'll be able to play longer, thus giving more to the team.

I can't believe that Peter King - who has probably never strapped on a pair of shoulder pads in his life - is not only unfairly criticizing a future HOFer who came into the SB with a bad wrist and played through a leg injury, but he's on the freaking HOF committee as well. Geez, no wonder Art Monk can't get a break. :D

This is why I think several Huddlers are also idiots...everyone is so quick to drop the "Rosie O'Donnell" line when a guy is hurt, as perceived by them, NOT BADLY ENOUGH, to not play or play a certain way.

I would suspect the media doesn't like Harrison as much as they should because he rarely, if ever, gives interviews...so why should the media defend him...in their twisted minds.

I see it all the time with local beat reporters for the Sabres and Bills. Some are biased, spiteful, grudge holding losers.

I don't disagree that King is an idiot, but I'm not sure this is why. :D

Harrison has always been the sort to avoid contact and hit the ground ASAP when I've seen him play. Now maybe that's self-preservation, but it does smack of a certain 'softness' as compared to a WR who will go across the middle and absorb some contact to wring every yard out of a reception. It's just a different style of play, which some value more than others.

I didn't catch the interview today, but here is what King wrote on MMQB this week:I have actually wondered this at times. Well, not actually think that he's afraid of making physical contact. But that given the option, he takes the easy way out. Not that I exactly blame him, but there have been times where he caught the ball and immediately ran out of bounds when he could have picked up at least a few more yards if not quite a few. And these weren't during 2-minute drills where time was of the essence. These were like middle of the 3rd quarter times.

That being said, there have been quite a few times where Marvin catches the ball in the middle of two or three defenders and just absolutely gets his clocked cleaned with some hit. IIRC, there was a hit in the SB where Marvin was hit by two guys and his leg was bent back awkward and he somewhat limped off the field for a play or two.

Marvin is "officially" listed as 6'0" and 185 lbs, which is complete crap. My father is EXACTLY that size and, after watching Marvin in light pads (only helmet and shoulder pads) at training camp a couple of years ago, he's AT LEAST 10 lbs lighter than that. He's a freaking STICK. He's Todd Pinkston with talent.

I don't argue that he shies away from contact and gets roughed up by more physical DBs at the time. But the guy is maybe 175 pounds at most. He almost HAS to play a different style of game than somebody like T.O. or Keyshawn... that is, if he doesn't want his career prematurely-ended by injuries. And, hey, if his best traits are speed, route-running, and making acrobatic catches, he should maximize those skills rather than try to be Hines Ward or Michael Irvin. And King can bloviate about Marvin not having big games in the playoffs until he's blue in his fat face - the fact remains that Marvin Harrison single-handedly opens up the rest of the Colts passing game. Take Marvin off of the Colts offense and Reggie Wayne sees instant double-coverage with Aaron Moorehead or whoever else is healthy enough to play WR#2. If that happened, the Colts never would've gotten to a SB, much less won one.

If dumbass Peter King doesn't like Marvin's style of play, fine. But his cherry-picking of ONE play where Marvin didn't swat the ball down is just dishonest, as his is LIE about Marvin hardly ever catching balls over the middle. Is THIS really the kind of person that the NFL wants on its HOF committee?

Marvin Harrison ranked third in the NFL with 95 catches this season but 40th in YAC with 301.

Is YAC overrated? I think so, as the man continues to be one of the best receivers year-in and year-out. I'd take him on my team any day and although he's not fighting for yards like some players do, he's smart and never gets hurt. A player can't contribute when he's out and the Colts have more than enough weapons to make up for his "lost" YAC.

Holt & Bruce have been doing it for years. :D

I remember watching a Rams/Niners game... I think it was 2001 @ SF. Bruce caught either a slant or a crossing route and there were about 3 or 4 SF defenders right in front of him, in position to make a tackle. Bruce simply ran right past them and then took off upfield about 40 yds for a TD.

But, yeah, Peter King is right. Those "soft" finesse players are overrated. :D

But because of this, Harrison's career will last much longer and be much more productive.

Which is why he will be a shoe-in when it comes time to vote for the HOF, and WRs like Hines Ward might be on the ballot for awhile.

Marvin has put up tremendous numbers by not exposing his body to the punishment of football.

You can call it softness if you want, but in Marvin's 2 year edge over Hines, he has 374 more catches, 5692 more yards and 64 more TDs.

Granted Marvin had Peyton Manning throwing to him which adds a bit, but a lot of it is skill and intelligence.

And my last point is that we can't overlook Hines has had much more of an issue with injury than Marvin.

There are some WRs that are just not made to get hit.

Marvin will end up as one of top 5 best receivers of all time ,I put him in top 3 already , he has his ring now ( maybe another to follow ) and he will go into the hall of fame on 1st ballot without a problem....their nothing soft there ...his style is to be slippery and avoid the big hit but he still produces ( its not like he has alligator arms and pulls back when he senses contact ) consistently

And I might add that peter king reminds me and looks a bit like Norm from cheers and he too was not very bright

Marvin Harrison is the best WR in the game, and has been for close to a decade. He gets double teamed all the time, yet is still consistently 10 yards open in every direction.

If you "duck hits" while playing that style of smart football does it really matter? I'd say YES it does because he'll be able to play longer, thus giving more to the team.

+1

If avoiding a crushing hit by going down is "soft", then I have had it wrong for a long time. I always thougt "soft" was more the aligator armed receiver fearing a hit BEFORE the catch, a WR who disapears TOTALLY against rough Defenses. Harrison has consistantly put up HofF numbers, year in and year out and his numbers are ALWAYS better than almost every other WR in the league.

+1

If avoiding a crushing hit by going down is "soft", then I have had it wrong for a long time. I always thougt "soft" was more the aligator armed receiver fearing a hit BEFORE the catch, a WR who disapears TOTALLY against rough Defenses. Harrison has consistantly put up HofF numbers, year in and year out and his numbers are ALWAYS better than almost every other WR in the league.

well, it's tough to take hits running little sideline routes and slants when you're down on the ground as soon as the ball gets there. when is the last time you can remember marvin taking a big-time stick? we don't know whether he holds on afterward or not, because it simply never happens.

and while we're talking chit about the guy, one thing the last couple years that's bothered me a bit is the way he visibly pouts and basically stops playing when he's not getting the ball thrown his way.

and while we're talking chit about the guy, one thing the last couple years that's bothered me a bit is the way he visibly pouts and basically stops playing when he's not getting the ball thrown his way.

Agreed. Since Peter King dislikes Marvin so much, it is surprising that he chooses not to use that very valid criticism.

Undoubtedly a great receiver. First ballot hall of famer. And I don't have a problem with the way he plays - given his stature, and apparently his nature, it makes sense.

But, the dude plays soft. There are not too many football players out there (at least that I have seen) that avoid contact the way that he does.

And if you're a football player that avoids contact, you are likely going to get tagged with that label.

But, the dude plays soft. There are not too many football players out there (at least that I have seen) that avoid contact the way that he does.

And if you're a football player that avoids contact, you are likely going to get tagged with that label.

But he has the ring. And he's the one that whill be in the HOF, and come amazingly close to breaking, if not breaking Rice's records.

So hopefully the label doesn't mean much to Marvin.

Because like said above, he's still an all time top 5 WR. Hands down.

Maybe someone can look this up - how many of Harrison's catches go for fist downs, and how does that compare to the "in general" statistics? If I were a betting man, and I've been known to be, I'd wager it's higher than average.

Dude doesn't need YAC if he's moving the chains, unless he can take it to the house.

It's kind of a drag that his smart play is something people are turning on him. Bruce won't make the hall because he shredded his knee twice and missed something liek 3 years playing time.

Bruce won't make the hall because he shredded his knee twice and missed something liek 3 years playing time.

You sure about that? His career numbers are much better than, say, Michael Irvin's, he caught the winning TD in a SB, and he'll probably retire as the Rams' all-time leading receiver.

BTW, I thought that Bruce's one major injury was a torn hamstring in '98. I don't recall him suffering a major knee injury, although I might be wrong.