[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another what TV should I buy thread...

Moneyshot

OK, so I need a TV for the basement of my new house. I have about $1200 I could spend...tops. I would like a 36" - 42". It will be mainly used for watching DVDs and TiVo'd shows. I don't really care too much about HD. I guess that is my real question...Do I NEED to buy an HDTV? Will a non-HDTV be unusable in a couple years? Can I even get an HDTV of that size in that price range?

Thanks

if you don't want hd i think you can easily come under that range. i have heard that sd will be phased out... question is do you want to spend that much and not have hd?

What he said.

Do you HAVE to get HD? No. Just like you don't HAVE to get an FM radio in your car.

I was just looking at HDs at Best Buy this past Saturday. You can get a really nice 36" for that price. Sonys and Samsungs (the best, IMO) are in the $1,200-$1,400 range. Phillips and JVC run about $1,000 and those are also pretty nice. Even if you don't need HD, I'd strongly suggest getting it (especially if you can afford $1,000). IIRC, Comcast only charges like $5 extra a month for HD channels. Plus, everything is going to be HD in a few years.

If you really don't want to spend the extra money, you can get a nice 36" or 42" regular TV for half of the price.

I don't know squat about tvs to answer your question. But my dad has been looking at new tvs. I told him some brands I know the experts here at the huddle recommend, sony, samsung etc. But he's the type to go the cheapest route. At the moment he's got his eye on this 32 inch Westinghouse. Currently priced at $699. I did do a little research and looked for reviews on Cnet.com and if I remember right, out of like 22 consumer reviews, only one person had something negative to say about iit. :D

I'd be interested on what any of our experts here had to say about this one...

Edited by BillyBalata

The federal government (through the Federal Communications Commission) mandated that all TV signals will be delivered by the year 2009 when the analog spectrum will be turned off. (The actual date is currently set for 2/17/2009). Digital signals are transmitted using computer code -- ones and zeroes -- which means they are less susceptible to interference and provide a higher quality picture and sound than analog.

I don't know squat about tvs to answer your question. But my dad has been looking at new tvs. I told him some brands I know the experts here at the huddle recommend, sony, samsung etc. But he's the type to go the cheapest route. At the moment he's got his eye on this 32 inch Westinghouse. Currently priced at $699. I did do a little research and looked for reviews on Cnet.com and if I remember right, out of like 22 consumer reviews, only one person had something negative to say about iit. :D

actually i have read some not so good things about the westinghouses...most of what i have read was with regard to the PS3 and HDCP but still it was an issue and at least a red flag of sorts

for anyone in the market for a TV, i advise you to stay away from the big box stores, except to shop around and check out different sets. once you decide on a model, you can order from a place like this, and even add on an extended warranty and 3 day fedex shipping and come out for hundreds less than if you bought at best buy. those stores have hugh markups on TVs. i didn't realize how high until i really did some shopping around.

for example

Edited by Azazello1313

I don't know squat about tvs to answer your question. But my dad has been looking at new tvs. I told him some brands I know the experts here at the huddle recommend, sony, samsung etc. But he's the type to go the cheapest route. At the moment he's got his eye on this 32 inch Westinghouse. Currently priced at $699. I did do a little research and looked for reviews on Cnet.net and if I remember right, out of like 22 consumer reviews, only one person had something negative to say about iit. :D

There are always reasons why something is a lot cheaper. Longevity is #1. I remember in the 'old days'. You looked for a manufacturer that used gold banded transistors vs silver. Today it's harder. I think there are only a few companies that make LCD/Plasma screens. I don't know if they majors even make their own.

Picture quality varies sooo much, and it's impossible to compare them in a bigbox store. Who knows how they tweak them! I was in BB the other day, just cruzin, and I over heard a conversation between wife/hub/salesperson. It went like this:

Wife: look at that picture vs the other! (side by side Sharp & Samsung) It's so much clearer and that one is too red. (pointing at the Samsung)

Hubby: I like that one better! (Samsung)

Salesman: You always get a better picture on a Sharp! It's top of the line!

Wife: See I told you!

Hubby: :eyeyore: OKAY. :eyeyore:

salesman: Our installation crew will set the colors and everything for $200!

:bash:

I was ready to say "Lady, grab the freakin' remote and fiddle w/ it!". :clap:

I admit I went w/ that "Premier Install", but I did it so they would take the old 200# Sony to the garage. But I only paid $100! They didn't mess w/ the settings at all!!! Hell, the wires looked worse after than before!! Which was another thing they "Promised"! :D Fine w/ me, I rerouted the wires, no biggie, and actually the $100 I spent was worth the moving of the old TV.

actually i have read some not so good things about the westinghouses...most of what i have read was with regard to the PS3 and HDCP but still it was an issue and at least a red flag of sorts

Yea...the main reason I looked for reviews on this model was to show him why he didn't want to buy it. Was very surprised to find pretty much good reviews. Who knows what kind of consumers were giving these reviews, but then again, my dad is 75...not sure he's going to be all that discriminating. If he turns it on and it works, he'll be happy. :D

There are always reasons why something is a lot cheaper. Longevity is #1. I remember in the 'old days'. You looked for a manufacturer that used gold banded transistors vs silver. Today it's harder. I think there are only a few companies that make LCD/Plasma screens. I don't know if they majors even make their own.

Picture quality varies sooo much, and it's impossible to compare them in a bigbox store. Who knows how they tweak them! I was in BB the other day, just cruzin, and I over heard a conversation between wife/hub/salesperson. It went like this:

Wife: look at that picture vs the other! (side by side Sharp & Samsung) It's so much clearer and that one is too red. (pointing at the Samsung)

Hubby: I like that one better! (Samsung)

Salesman: You always get a better picture on a Sharp! It's top of the line!

Wife: See I told you!

Hubby: :eyeyore: OKAY. :eyeyore:

salesman: Our installation crew will set the colors and everything for $200!

:D

I was ready to say "Lady, grab the freakin' remote and fiddle w/ it!". :bash:

I admit I went w/ that "Premier Install", but I did it so they would take the old 200# Sony to the garage. But I only paid $100! They didn't mess w/ the settings at all!!! Hell, the wires looked worse after than before!! Which was another thing they "Promised"! :D Fine w/ me, I rerouted the wires, no biggie, and actually the $100 I spent was worth the moving of the old TV.

:clap: the other thing in the stores is that the quality of the feed and the connection, in addition to whoever f*cked with the settings last, is going to vary so much. you can get a good feel for a few important things...like how a set handles different viewing angles, and how it handles a SD source.

for anyone in the market for a TV, i advise you to stay away from the big box stores, except to shop around and check out different sets. once you decide on a model, you can order from a place like this, and even add on an extended warranty and 3 day fedex shipping and come out for hundreds less than if you bought at best buy. those stores have hugh markups on TVs. i didn't realize how high until i really did some shopping around.

for example

Some good points AZ, but:

I couldn't move the old elephant.

When I bought the differential was <$100, after all was said and done.

I only waited 2 days for delivery.

But I will definitely do that when I start looking at 15" LCD's for the kitchen! :D I can handle 10#'s!!! :D