[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Windows Networking

AtomicCEO

I don't get why this isn't working... I've had this set up before.

My desktop died, and it was the computer I had my printers attached to. I also have two laptops. I had a simple workgroup set up to share printers, and dump files from one computer to another.

Ever since I installed a new mb and reloaded windows on my desktop... my workgroup will not function. I tried going through the "Set up a home network" wizard again and set up a new workgroup name on each of the computers.

I can browse to the workgroup and see all of the computers, but when I try to open them, I get: "\\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions."

I have:

- Run through the network wizard and put them all on the same workgroup

- Set up a shared folder on each system.

- Enabled sharing for the printer

But no computer will see any other computer. I always get that message. What step am I missing?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am having a similar problem. Set up my laptop to print using router networking to desktop.

Every so often, especially on certain websites... I get a pop-up message that says:

Network Connections

Choose a network connection:

(then it shows a drop-down menu with my two Verizon wireless card options)

Connect -- Cancel -- New -- Properties

I too am having a similar problem. Set up my laptop to print using router networking to desktop.

Every so often, especially on certain websites... I get a pop-up message that says:

Network Connections

Choose a network connection:

(then it shows a drop-down menu with my two Verizon wireless card options)

Connect -- Cancel -- New -- Properties

And I just have to hit cancel... otherwise some webpages won't fully load and/or I can't type (like right now).

Stupid.

Get out of my thread, leech!

Everyone focus on my question. Ignore Darin's piddling crap.

:tup: It's probably the same issue! Knowing Microsloth! Or maybe not... :D

In all seriousness, I think I had the same problem you had. I need to rack my brain to remember how I fixed 'er up. :D

I don't want to seem like I am advertising my company's product here... but it is exactly what I am going to do. Go download Network Magic and have all of the problems you just talked about go away. We have a free 30 day trial.

Edited by thecerwin

I don't want to seem like I am advertising my company's product here... but it is exactly what I am going to do. Go download Network Magic and have all of the problems you just talked about go away. We have a free 30 day trial.

Yes. I want to log all the websites I go to. That will ensure a lengthy happy marraige for me.

Yes. I want to log all the websites I go to. That will ensure a lengthy happy marraige for me.

That isn't the feature that will solve your current network problem... try it for 5 min and if you still feel it won't help, uninstall.

That isn't the feature that will solve your current network problem... try it for 5 min and if you still feel it won't help, uninstall.

:D I will if I can't get an answer here.

Is it something I need to load on all my computers, or just the one that shares the printers?

:tup: I will if I can't get an answer here.

Is it something I need to load on all my computers, or just the one that shares the printers?

I have the Network Magic program as well. It solved most of my networking issues (and will solve 100% of the issues you've explained above). It's magic! :D:D

It is sometimes better to ignore the Wizards in Windows world. The first thing you need to do is to check the IP addresses of each computer. They all need to be on the same network and have the same netmask and gateway to talk to each other. If you have a DHCP Server set up, then that should be taken care of for you, but there may be issues.

To check the IP address on your computer, open a command prompt be clicking Start>Run. In the window that pops up type CMD. That will get you to a DOS prompt. Once there, type IPCONFIG. This will return the IP Address, the Subnet Mask and the Default Gateway set up for this computer. The IP address should vary from other computers in your network only by the last octet (the group of numbers after the last dot). The Netmask and Gateway should be exactly the same as every other computer in your network.

Once you have made certain that the IP Address, Netmask, and Default Gateway are correct, the next thing is to check connectivity. This is also done from a DOS prompt. Type "ping <ipaddress>" (no quotes and where <ipaddress> is the IP address of another computer on the network, not the computer you're sitting at) and press enter. What this does is try to send information to the remote computer and have that computer echo that info back. If it succeeds, you will see something like:

ping 10.0.0.3Pinging 10.0.0.3 with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 10.0.0.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 10.0.0.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 10.0.0.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 10.0.0.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Ping statistics for 10.0.0.3:Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

This tells you information about the communication including howmany packets of data were sent (4, one for each line), how large the packet was (32 bytes), and how long it took to get there and back (less than 1 millisecond).

If the ping fails you'll see something like:

ping 10.0.0.133Pinging 10.0.0.133 with 32 bytes of data:Request timed out.Request timed out.Request timed out.Request timed out.Ping statistics for 10.0.0.133:Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

This tells you that your computer sent out the data, but that it never received a response back from the other computer. This tells you that there is a problem with the network, possible a switch, hub, or router that lives between the two computers attempting to communicate.

If the computer is configured correctly and this ping test succeeds, then the problem lies either in the workgroup configuration or in the permissions associated with the network and printer shares set up, possibly both. This is a topic for the next lesson.

I installed it and it looks pretty easy to use and helpful. I ran the network connection test and while I don't think it necessarily fixed my problem, I think it brought up a Windows networking screen where I selected "never dial a connection" which probably fixes my issue.

CEO :D

OK OK let's get his fixed now. :D

BTW, what I typed above is part of networking 101 and applies to any computer on an IP network, regardless of the operating system used. All computers have the ping command accessable from a command line, including Macs.

All my computers on on the same subnet. I can ping them all. I can even see them when I browse the workgroup. I just get that error message when I double click on a workgroup computer, or try to directly punch in the address of the share, ie "\\Desktop\Music".

All my computers on on the same subnet. I can ping them all. I can even see them when I browse the workgroup. I just get that error message when I double click on a workgroup computer, or try to directly punch in the address of the share, ie "\\Desktop\Music".

OK, Workgroup names ARE case sensitive. Make sure they isn't a typo. Next, make sure that permissions on teh share include everyone and that everyone has all the access levels they need. Finally if all else fails, this is Micrsoft...reboot.

Hmm, neat. Just figured out that someone was bogarting my wireless. I might just buy this after the trial. :D

Which OS are they running? OSX.....er....I mean....Vista?

:D

seriously, though....

Did you fix it yet?

OK, Workgroup names ARE case sensitive. Make sure they isn't a typo. Next, make sure that permissions on teh share include everyone and that everyone has all the access levels they need. Finally if all else fails, this is Micrsoft...reboot.

If he's rebuilt one of the computers, all the shares will have to be reshared because the SID is going to be out of whack, isn't it? The names used might be the same but the underlying SID will be different.

If he's rebuilt one of the computers, all the shares will have to be reshared because the SID is going to be out of whack, isn't it? The names used might be the same but the underlying SID will be different.

In essence, what you are saying is that he should break all the shares and remake them, yes? Sounds worth a try.

[montoya]I am waiting for you, Vizzini. You told me to go back to the beginning. So I have. This is where I am, and this is where I'll stay. I will not be moved.[/motoya]