[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you predicted Feb 20th as the date that the Van Halen

cliaz

Sounds like Eddies a dick.

Yeah. It's amazing how hardcore drug and alcohol users can completely lose their ability to be happy later in life.

People who drugs have ruined for me, despite staying alive:

- Trey Anastasio

- Eddie Van Halen

- Michael Irvin

- H8Tank

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, here is one of many old school bands that rocked a whole lot more than Van Halen.

Yeah, those old-school punk bands who could barely play their instruments competently really rocked. :D

Their music, at least what i've heard, has no soul. The music is not bad mind you, but nothing really special either.

Van Halen is party music and doesn't pretend to be anything more than that. That said, I'll take mid '70s-mid '90s VH over some of the more "artistic" and "intelligent" music of today. Thom Yorke whining about Bush over a loop of computerized farting sounds just doesn't do it for me.

That would aptly describe the Sex Pistols, but not Bad Brains.

Eh, they weren't that much better. I listened to some of that stuff in 8th in 9th grade: Bad Brains, the Dead Kennedys, Black Flag (who were pretty decent). I always liked Sonic Youth a lot more - their songwriting went beyond yelling and screaming over three-chord riffs.

Yeah, those old-school punk bands who could barely play their instruments competently really rocked. :D

Van Halen is party music and doesn't pretend to be anything more than that. That said, I'll take mid '70s-mid '90s VH over some of the more "artistic" and "intelligent" music of today. Thom Yorke whining about Bush over a loop of computerized farting sounds just doesn't do it for me.

Speak for yourself. Computerized farts get me all hot and bothered.

Eh, they weren't that much better. I listened to some of that stuff in 8th in 9th grade: Bad Brains, the Dead Kennedys, Black Flag (who were pretty decent). I always liked Sonic Youth a lot more - their songwriting went beyond yelling and screaming over three-chord riffs.

Yea, I like Sonic Youth and they were definitly more refined. But, it's not like Bad Brains didn't explore other genres of music besides three-chords and screaming.

I'm only familiar with their pre-1990 stuff so your either an awfully young buck or you really didn't listen to Bad Brains very much if you think they only played hardcore punk. :D

I seem to remember that they were the guys who had that punk/reggae hybrid thing going on. I don't recall any of that material specifically, but remember that I wasn't terribly impressed with it. And you're correct that I didn't listen to them very much - and there's a reason for that.

And even if it were, it wouldn't change the fact that Eddie Van Halen has more talent in his pinky finger than all of Bad Brains.

I never claimed that Eddie isn't talented (hence my earlier Malmsteen (Eddie) meets Weird Al (Roth) description). Bad Brains vs. Van Halen came about to subjectively discuss who rocks harder (2 bands from the same era). I deeply respect musical talent, but that isn't one of the criteria I use to determine a good rock band. If you've heard one mindless noodler going off on a 5 minute solo, then you've generally heard it all.

I deeply respect musical talent, but that isn't one of the criteria I use to determine a good rock band. If you've heard one mindless noodler going off on a 5 minute solo, then you've generally heard it all.

When said "mindless noodler" almost single-handedly introduces tapping into mainstream rock, writes consistently-good songs for 15-20 years, and sells tens of millions of records, his band has a teeny little bit more going for it than raw talent.

If you want to argue that Bad Brains "rocked a whole lot more" than Van Halen, go right ahead. My feeling is that most people would disagree with you. Then again, it's a stupid subjective argument anyway.