[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you predicted Feb 20th as the date that the Van Halen

cliaz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it ain't how many records they sold. :D

So much for the free market theory, wiegie.

I think it could be measured by album sales over time. If an album can continue to sell 20 years after the fad dies down, it was probably good music.

Vanilla Ice may have had a #1 album, but I would bet that it sells fewer copies than Dark Side of the Moon has sold consistently for 25 years.

So much for the free market theory, wiegie.

i've never really heard the free market theory proposed as a measure of artistic worth. :D so i guess ET and batman returns are among the greatest movies ever made, huh?

I think it could be measured by album sales over time. If an album can continue to sell 20 years after the fad dies down, it was probably good music.

Vanilla Ice may have had a #1 album, but I would bet that it sells fewer copies than Dark Side of the Moon has sold consistently for 25 years.

eh, sort of. time does filter out most of the crap. but by that measure...van halen isn't exactly winning over new fans these days, are they? their current fan base is pretty much limited to 40 year-olds with mullets and camaros (no offense, timmay). even MOST of us who liked them back when we were young and stupid and they were the fad have moved on to (much) better things to listen to.

eh, sort of. time does filter out most of the crap. but by that measure...van halen isn't exactly winning over new fans these days, are they? their current fan base is pretty much limited to 40 year-olds with mullets and camaros (no offense, timmay). even MOST of us who liked them back when we were young and stupid and they were the fad have moved on to (much) better things to listen to.

When I'm working a weekday evening at my bar, and 11:30pm or so rolls around, I have a crowd that I can tell is getting ready to go home for the night, one thing experience has taught me that keeps them inside for another round is Van Halen Van Halen.

You may have moved on, but when the backwards car horn blares, Michael Anthony's bass starts thumping, and Alex and Eddie start crunching out the opening track of your high school soundtrack, you kick back and shout out "Runnin' with the De-villlllllll!" along with everybody else.

I seem to remember that they were the guys who had that punk/reggae hybrid thing going on.

I wouldn't consider Bad Brains a hybrid of punk/reggae but more of being the originators of pure hardcore, then frequently pulling a Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde with reggae.

I'm not denying the volume of Van Halen's record sales or Eddie's talent, those just aren't pre-requisites for determiming what I consider good rock music. If I want to hear good old fashioned straighforward party rock, AC/DC's Back in Black soothes my soul more than Running w/ the Devil will ever know. I find the Ramones Hey, Ho, Let's Go, immensely more enjoyable than Eddie noodling Eruption on his geetar. I'll take any 1990's Supersuckers or Fu-Manchu albums over the commercially contribed Van Hagar any day of the week.

That's just me, but trying to convince someone else of artistic rock merit strictly on record sales, talent, or degree of difficulty in playing, doesn't register on my meter. And I certainly don't give a rip if the popular opinion states Band A is better than Band B. :D

When I'm working a weekday evening at my bar, and 11:30pm or so rolls around, I have a crowd that I can tell is getting ready to go home for the night, one thing experience has taught me that keeps them inside for another round is Van Halen Van Halen.

You may have moved on, but when the backwards car horn blares, Michael Anthony's bass starts thumping, and Alex and Eddie start crunching out the opening track of your high school soundtrack, you kick back and shout out "Runnin' with the De-villlllllll!" along with everybody else.

When did you start serving beers in Kent? :D

I wouldn't consider Bad Brains a hybrid of punk/reggae but more of being the originators of pure hardcore, then frequently pulling a Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde with reggae.

I'm not denying the volume of Van Halen's record sales or Eddie's talent, those just aren't pre-requisites for determiming what I consider good rock music. If I want to hear good old fashioned straighforward party rock, AC/DC's Back in Black soothes my soul more than Running w/ the Devil will ever know. ...

That's just me, but trying to convince someone else of artistic rock merit strictly on record sales, talent, or degree of difficulty in playing, doesn't register on my meter. And I certainly don't give a rip if the popular opinion states Band A is better than Band B. :D

Well, of course... just as your personal opinion that Bad Brains "rocked much harder" than Van Halen doesn't really mean squat, either.

I find the Ramones Hey, Ho, Let's Go, immensely more enjoyable than Eddie noodling Eruption on his geetar.

Have to disagree with you there, but it's all just personal preference.

I'll take any 1990's Supersuckers or Fu-Manchu albums over the commercially contrived Van Hagar any day of the week.

And here we go with the "my commercially unsuccessful alternative band is better than your commercially successful mainstream band" argument. I'm surprised that it took you this long. :D

Again, it's all personal preference. I don't care much for hardcore punk, so that's why I don't hold Bad Brains in high esteem. That said, I'm well aware that they're held in very high esteem in the punk/hardcore community and that they don't exactly suck. Feel better now?

Now, if you're a fan of hardcore FUNK, I've been a huge EPMD fan since the late '80s. :tup:

Edited by Bill Swerski

I used to get in music arguments all the time with friends back in the day...it is a waste of time...if a certain band or style of music makes you feel like the music i love makes me feel, wonderful...

I pretty much can't stand anything from the 70's or 80's...and I hate the Beatles...

Edited by alexgaddis