[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Music for a hip taqueria

detlef

Hey all, I'm opening another restaurant this spring. It's going to essentially be a taqueria with some other goodies but we're just going to dress up the experience a bit. You know the drill, good bar, fun but hip decor, etc. I take the music element very seriously and would love some suggestions on the type of stuff some of you music fans would like to hear in such a place.

At Jujube we do a lot of post modern bossa, zero 7, thievery, Hotel Costes mixes as well as a lot of jazz. I'm thinking of going a little lower brow for Dos Perros and including some more soul and rock as I expect a more casual vibe and younger crowd.

I want to make this clear, I am not going after some super traditional scene so the music does not have to be latin. I do have a good collection of latin jazz and will certainly mix some of that in, but I'm looking for some good modern music that's not too edgy to eat to but not dinner jazz either.

hmm, your attention to this area is something i totally love to see. i think i definitely "get" the vibe you're going for here, but unfortunately i don't know the names of many artists in that vein.

the only two things that really come to mind...maybe some mexican roots-rock like los lobos. and some stuff from the charles mingus album "tijuana moods" would be badass.

I know you said it didn't have to be "Latin", but there are some cool grooves I certainly know of that would fit right in with a hip taqueria.

It's more "rock-y", but Los Lonely Boys is SUPER hip and has a Latin flair. Speaking of "Los"... you could always go with Los Lobos.

You could also go with some music from Buena Vista Social Club.

A REAL good pick would be Manu Chao.

Perhaps some Digable Planets or A Tribe Called Quest.

I'll probably think of several more...

Edit: Oh yeah, those last two have no Latin influence but are groovy.

Edited by darin3

What about some classical spanish guitar? I like Rolando Morales, but it ain't like he has a monopoly on that sound. Reggae and afro-cuban can also work in a taqueria setting.

I dig the down-tempo music selections for you current eatery. If you like Zero 7 and that ilk, you may also like Kruder and Dorfmeister, Flaming Lips, Air, Alex Gopher, Citizen Cope, Honeycut, Morcheeba, Massive Attack, or Lily Allen.

What about some classical spanish guitar? I like Rolando Morales, but it ain't like he has a monopoly on that sound. Reggae and afro-cuban can also work in a taqueria setting.

I dig the down-tempo music selections for you current eatery. If you like Zero 7 and that ilk, you may also like Kruder and Dorfmeister, Flaming Lips, Air, Alex Gopher, Citizen Cope, Honeycut, Morcheeba, Massive Attack, or Lily Allen.

Haven't heard of a few of those, but :D on the Spanish guitar. :D on having reggae or afro-cuban. And :tup: on Lily Allen.

This will become yer restaurants theme cd: Nuevo Boogaloo by the Iguanas.

All their stuff is great, but that album is the best. I dare you not to play it in yer taqueria. If it means anything, I think I first heard them playing in Taqueria Corona and then started going to their live shows.

Edit: It looks like it is out of print! I will send you a copy.

Edited by skins

This will become yer restaurants theme cd: Nuevo Boogaloo by the Iguanas.

All their stuff is great, but that album is the best. I dare you not to play it in yer taqueria. If it means anything, I think I first heard them playing in Taqueria Corona and then started going to their live shows.

Edit: It looks like it is out of print! I will send you a copy.

Good find.

Haven't heard of a few of those, but :D on the Spanish guitar. :D on having reggae or afro-cuban. And :tup: on Lily Allen.

Honeycut's 'The Day I Turned To Glass,' especially, was a fantastic surprise. And if you like that album, the same artist did a solo project prior to under the artist name of General Elektriks called 'Cliquety Kliqk' that was pretty good. More experimental electronica than Honeycut, but still solid.

And Kruder and Dorfmeister's "K&D Sessions" is simply mandatory for any self-respecting stoner.

Edited by yo mama

first off Latino feel is always good, I would mix it up with both English and Spanish versions. Less thumping bass or drums and more horns and acoustic guitars with some upbeat sheet thrown in on occasion. Better yet ask your Latino workers for some thoughts on this.

Edited by Hugh B Tool