[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stock Traders

MrTed46

Except I'm not gainfully employed so I need that money on paper to live by.

It sounds like you may need a more conservative investment posture if you need to live on the money and can't afford to lose it...

It sounds like you may need a more conservative investment posture if you need to live on the money and can't afford to lose it...

I was just poking a little fun at our loss. Our portfolio is conservative and is about 50% stocks. Our withdrawal rate has only been at 2.5% of our total networth excluding the value of our home. Most analysts I've read say 4% is a conservative withdrawal rate, so we are safely under. We do have to budget and watch what we spend, but it's better than working.

Yeah, if you're spending at (essentially) the rate of inflation, your family is spending pretty conservatively.

Not sure if you're invested conservatively or not, though... It would depend on what that 50% equity pool looked like and what the other 50% is...but, I'm guessing you have a good advisor who is helping you.

+1 Motley Fool is a great site as well. I have heard good things about their paid Stock Advisor service as well.

I subscribe to Stock Advisor, Inside Value, and Hidden Gems. I have found that I invest in more Hidden Gems picks than the other two combined. They also have an International service, a Mutual Fund service and a new one called Hidden Gems Pay Dirt. It is much pricier at $749 per year, but seeks to take advantage of instantaneous reactions in the market.

The message boards are very helpful when you are seeking a perspective on an equity that doesn't come from an analyst with an agenda.

I recommend TMF highly, whether you choose only the free stuff (boards and e-mails) or the pay services.

AMD is high on my radar. I think there about to swing as they are bottomed out. Just my insight

The general sentiment among power users on TMF is that AMD has no future. Nuclear plague coupled with weak prospects is how they were described.

I subscribe to Stock Advisor, Inside Value, and Hidden Gems. I have found that I invest in more Hidden Gems picks than the other two combined. They also have an International service, a Mutual Fund service and a new one called Hidden Gems Pay Dirt. It is much pricier at $749 per year, but seeks to take advantage of instantaneous reactions in the market.

The message boards are very helpful when you are seeking a perspective on an equity that doesn't come from an analyst with an agenda.

I recommend TMF highly, whether you choose only the free stuff (boards and e-mails) or the pay services.

Do they have a bundle package? I want to get Stock Advisor and Hidden Gems.

Do they have a bundle package? I want to get Stock Advisor and Hidden Gems.

I asked that same question via e-mail. They don't offer any multiple-service discounts.

I would highly recommend HG, but I am currently in the process of cancelling Stock Advisor and re-subbing to Rule Breakers. I just never found any picks in Stock Advisor that stoked my interest. I probably buy 1 in 10 picks in Inside Value and 1 in 5 in HG. Maybe 1 in 100 in Stock Advisor.

I asked that same question via e-mail. They don't offer any multiple-service discounts.

I would highly recommend HG, but I am currently in the process of cancelling Stock Advisor and re-subbing to Rule Breakers. I just never found any picks in Stock Advisor that stoked my interest. I probably buy 1 in 10 picks in Inside Value and 1 in 5 in HG. Maybe 1 in 100 in Stock Advisor.

Thanks for your insight

:D

I am going to get free trial of HG now.

I think it also helps to know the company you're looking to invest into. I've been following a very stable company for several years, and they just recently began recording quarterly profits. I know there is a lot more that goes into the cause and affect of a companies stock price, but in the last 5 or so years since I've been watching this company they've gone from a stock price of about .14 cents to around $18 per share. Granted, they did do a reverse stock split at $1 to make it $10 per share, but I still wish I had the intuition when I was a lot younger to "go all in" back when it was at .14 cents. :D

FYI, you didn't miss out on "the deal of a lifetime" by not getting in at $0.14. Through the glory that is the reverse split, that 1.000 share you would have owned at $0.14 would have turned into 0.01 share you would have owned at $14.00...

...so, in other words, the stock is up 80% since the reverse split (($18-$10) / $10), and up around 30% since you started following it five years ago (($18 - $14) / $14)?

FYI, you didn't miss out on "the deal of a lifetime" by not getting in at $0.14. Through the glory that is the reverse split, that 1.000 share you would have owned at $0.14 would have turned into 0.01 share you would have owned at $14.00...

...so, in other words, the stock is up 80% since the reverse split (($18-$10) / $10), and up around 30% since you started following it five years ago (($18 - $14) / $14)?

So let's see... $.14 cents after the reverse stock split is equivalent to $1.4 as the purchase price. If I had purchased 50,000 shares (about $7,000 worth of cash) at $.14, this would be the same as 5,000 shares at $1.4. Then if I waited until now where the price is at $18, that would mean my initial $7,000 investment is now holding $90,000 worth of shares (5,000 shares times $18 per share price) -- I could be wrong on the math, but I'm pretty sure that's correct. That's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. :D

Thank you for the insight. Don't mean to pry but would you care to tell us how the stocks you chosen from HG have done?

Four of the last five days have seen the market lose >0.5% in the last 30 minutes of the day with three of those days ending at or very near the lows for the day...interesting action (to me).