[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anyone have a PS3 and Onyko Receiver?

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

I hooked up my home theater system a few days ago and I'm experiencing an odd problem.

I've got my Playstation 3 and DirecTV boxes connected (via HDMI) to an Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver. The satellite box works fine, it's the PS3 DVD player that seems to be giving me trouble.

Seems that every once and a while it will send a signal that shuts down the receiver. So far it's done it at least once on the 3 discs I have played. I can even replicate. At one point during Miami Vice (it shut down about 6 times on this movie) when the receiver shut down, I turned it back on, and replayed the scene 3 times and it shut down at the same place each time.

The other 2 disks was not as bad, they only shutdown the receiver once.

During my troubleshooting I

1. Moved the Receiver so it would have better ventilation

2. Swapped HDMI cables

3. Swapped the ports being used on the back of the receiver

But no luck. Same problem.

I called Onyko and they claim they have tested their system with the PS3 and have never seen this type of problem. They also suggested that I talk to Sony (which I intend on doing tomorrow).

So, I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem???

i have the ps3 and onkyo tx-sr503 (no hdmi ports). so different setup, but have you tried plugging the ps3 into the tv's hdmi port and routing audio from the tv to the receiver?

strangely enough, i had a problem with my onkyo last weekend where every time i turned it on, it would warm up and immediately shut off. turned out to be a loose wire in back.

Sony PS3 is full of bugs I would blaim them.

However which is shutting down? the PS3 or the Onkyo? I dont know how the Onkyo works...for example if it received an unrecognizable or corrupt signal (HDMI) does it shut down or just show static on the tv screen.

The PS3 are known to output corrupt signals. Happens to me but my TV will just show static. I upgraded my PS3 to newest firmware and I have yet to see this problem...however I rarely use my PS3 so I dont know if the problem went away.

I use my Xbox360 for movies now cuz the PS3 is full of bugs.

However which is shutting down? the PS3 or the Onkyo? I dont know how the Onkyo works...for example if it received an unrecognizable or corrupt signal (HDMI) does it shut down or just show static on the tv screen.

The PS3 are known to output corrupt signals. Happens to me but my TV will just show static. I upgraded my PS3 to newest firmware and I have yet to see this problem...however I rarely use my PS3 so I dont know if the problem went away.

I use my Xbox360 for movies now cuz the PS3 is full of bugs.

Yikes! Its a good thing i only use my PS3 for watching movies and playing games. I could be in for big trouble!

:D

On the original topic, what firmware are you using for the PS3?

Does the Onkyo support HDMI 1.3?

If you look at avsforum that has been a lot of issues with Miami Vice and King Kong causing trouble because of copyright software...I do not know the validity of this...

If you run the HDMI directly to the TV do you get issues?

By "shutting down" do you mean the receiver goes into its protection mode?

If so, it could be the audio -- you may have hairs of a speaker wire crossed somewhere. Or, you could be inputting a signal to either the subwoofer or surround speakers that is causing it to protect because the settings for either are too high relative to what you are sending to the front speakers.

You could also double-check that by running the video straight to the TV (I assume you have it going through the receiver) and the audio through the receiver (you would need to input through component or composite cables to do that, since HDMI carries the audio signal as well as video), and if the video stays on while the audio goes out at certain points on the DVD, you have an audio issue. If both go out, you probably have a PS3 issue.

i have the ps3 and onkyo tx-sr503 (no hdmi ports). so different setup, but have you tried plugging the ps3 into the tv's hdmi port and routing audio from the tv to the receiver?

strangely enough, i had a problem with my onkyo last weekend where every time i turned it on, it would warm up and immediately shut off. turned out to be a loose wire in back.

I had the PS3 plugged directly into the TV (HDMI) for about two months (didn't try it on the last 3 disks) and it worked without a problem. I actually took one back because it was constantly overheating. What do you mean by "loose wire in the back". Are you talking speaker wire?

The TV just goes black and the Receiver is off.

The most disturbing part of this thread is you were watching the Miami Vice movie. What, Square Pegs wasn't available? :D

Yep, I was waiting for that one......

On the original topic, what firmware are you using for the PS3?

Does the Onkyo support HDMI 1.3?

If you look at avsforum that has been a lot of issues with Miami Vice and King Kong causing trouble because of copyright software...I do not know the validity of this...

If you run the HDMI directly to the TV do you get issues?

I haven't upgraded the PS3, so it's still has all the original firmware that it came with.

I don't have my Manual with me but I'm assuming that it does support HDMI 1.3 (I will check)

Works fine when I connect it directly to the TV (didn't test it with Miami Vice)

By "shutting down" do you mean the receiver goes into its protection mode?

If so, it could be the audio -- you may have hairs of a speaker wire crossed somewhere. Or, you could be inputting a signal to either the subwoofer or surround speakers that is causing it to protect because the settings for either are too high relative to what you are sending to the front speakers.

You could also double-check that by running the video straight to the TV (I assume you have it going through the receiver) and the audio through the receiver (you would need to input through component or composite cables to do that, since HDMI carries the audio signal as well as video), and if the video stays on while the audio goes out at certain points on the DVD, you have an audio issue. If both go out, you probably have a PS3 issue.

The receiver just shuts down. The little red light moves to Standby so I don't know if its in protection mode. It doesn't give me any indication that it is.

I have double checked the speaker wires and they look good, I'll re-check this weekend.

I had the PS3 plugged directly into the TV (HDMI) for about two months (didn't try it on the last 3 disks) and it worked without a problem. I actually took one back because it was constantly overheating. What do you mean by "loose wire in the back". Are you talking speaker wire?

sorry, should've been clearer. i meant speaker wire, but looks like you've already checked that.

i run my ps3 to the TV and the audio from the ps3 to the recvr...

i dont understand how the PS3 could make the recvr go into standby mode...if turn off my TV or cable box or even PS3 my recvr still stays on...

the only problem i have ever had with my Recvr was during the super bowl....the HD commercials didnt have all their sound but that was a network issue but on my end my recvr kept going crazy selecting the input(dolby, stereo etc) and that was pretty annoying but never seen it with the PS3

Edited by keggerz

the only problem i have ever had with my Recvr was during the super bowl....the HD commercials didnt have all their sound but that was a network issue but on my end my recvr kept going crazy selecting the input(dolby, stereo etc) and that was pretty annoying but never seen it with the PS3

yeah, i'm pretty sure that problem is on cbs' end. the dolby digital goes in and out during football games (at least it did in new york). my speakers would pop as it went in and out. really annoying.