[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Photo printing software

Ursa Majoris

Any recommendations for photo printing software? I have an HP Photosmart 7150 and don't use it that much but when I do, the software that came with it irritates the heck out of me. Anyone use something that didn't come with your printer?

TIA

Thanks. Am I supposed to take seriously a '49ers fan who can't spell the name of his own team?

I suppose you could try. :D

EDIT: Then again it might be funnier to watch and read more posts in this thread of you complaining about not knowing about the technology you purchase. :D Stupid people humor me.

Edited by TheGrunt

I suppose you could try. :D

EDIT: Then again it might be funnier to watch and read more posts in this thread of you complaining about not knowing about the technology you purchase. :D Stupid people humor me.

No, no, foolish person. I fully understand the technology and the application. I would, however, prefer a better application with which to carry out the printing of photographs, rather than the one that came with it.

This is one of the beauties of the Tailgate - people come here and ask stuff to a knowledgeable community. Most times, knowledgeable people respond.

BTW, I believe you mean "amuse" in your last sentence above, not "humor".

No, no, foolish person. I fully understand the technology and the application. I would, however, prefer a better application with which to carry out the printing of photographs, rather than the one that came with it.

This is one of the beauties of the Tailgate - people come here and ask stuff to a knowledgeable community. Most times, knowledgeable people respond.

BTW, I believe you mean "amuse" in your last sentence above, not "humor".

Get a Mac. :D

Are you just doing regular pictures? I've always used kodakgallery.com or snapfish.com to print my pictures. You have to wait a few days to get them in the mail, but it's cheaper than buying a printer and ink.

Are you just doing regular pictures? I've always used kodakgallery.com or snapfish.com to print my pictures. You have to wait a few days to get them in the mail, but it's cheaper than buying a printer and ink.

No, just odd photos here and there, mostly for sending to elderly relatives. It's handy to be able to do your own but the HP software isn't that great, especially on reprints.

Anyway, I'm doing some rummaging around on downloads.com, see what I find. Thanks.

No, just odd photos here and there, mostly for sending to elderly relatives. It's handy to be able to do your own but the HP software isn't that great, especially on reprints.

Anyway, I'm doing some rummaging around on downloads.com, see what I find. Thanks.

Not very pricey, but almost as powerful as PS is Photoshop Elements. It has a sweet catalog/organizer feature, and all the tools you'll ever need and more. It has a bit of a learning curve, depending on what you want to do, but many of the auto-tools do a surprising job. Regardless of which s/w you use, always work in a copy of a JPG. When you open/edit/close a JPG it compresses each time and you will lose quality.

Also, configure your printer to NOT control the color. Select 'Let application control color' and select the 7150's color profile in PSE.

All the rest of the progs. I tried are dog crap by comparison, and I've tried quite a few.

Any other questions, let me know.

Not very pricey, but almost as powerful as PS is Photoshop Elements.

Not even close to the full version of photoshop, :D but it does offer a majority of the basic functions and even makes it easier to use for people that aren't familiar with photoshop.

Good advice though.

Not even close to the full version of photoshop, :D but it does offer a majority of the basic functions and even makes it easier to use for people that aren't familiar with photoshop.

Good advice though.

I know what your saying, and of course PS has many more features, but the casual user will never see much of a diff between the two. PSE has most of the main controls like Layers, Levels, curves, but lacks a good masking tool, channels. PSE has some tools that PS does not have or at least PS2 like an easy to use Red Eye tool, and the extractor tool. Very similar to ACAD vs ACADLT.

Thanks all. I'm trying out ACDSee right now and produced a decent 6x4 w/tab print last night after fiddling around a bit. I'll keep the others in mind if I decide to change. :D

ACDsee is ok, but for the extra $20 you get much more! The organizer in PSE is worth more than that! Plus if you ever did have access to PS, the PSE interface will help a lot when doing major edits, collages, etc .

Whatever works for you! :tup: But IMHO PSE rocks and blows away the competition! :D

ACDsee is ok, but for the extra $20 you get much more! The organizer in PSE is worth more than that! Plus if you ever did have access to PS, the PSE interface will help a lot when doing major edits, collages, etc .

Whatever works for you! :D But IMHO PSE rocks and blows away the competition! :D

I just want to print photos with some decent software that remembers the default printer settings I invariably use. It's a pain in the ass constantly resetting the printer defaults.

Oh yeah, some decent color rendering would be nice too.

I just want to print photos with some decent software that remembers the default printer settings I invariably use. It's a pain in the ass constantly resetting the printer defaults.

Oh yeah, some decent color rendering would be nice too.

W/ your printer, it should setup to whatever. And hold the settings. But use the "control color settings in App. " regardless. If that option isn't there we need to talk. :D

If it works for you, it's a keeper. That's all that matters! :D