[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Panther FA moves

PantherDave

Have you heard anything about them potentially cutting DeShaun Foster? He's reportedly on a short list of RBs that Packers would be interested in should he be released. Others are Mike Anderson, Lamont Jordan, and Ricky Williams.

None what so ever-at this point only an OS rumor, now for some draft picks or trades-who knows.

Free agent Doug Jolley is expected to visit with the Panthers today, as the team tries to bolster the tight end position. There has been some indication new offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson wants more receiving production from the tight ends.

-- Charlotte Observer

Free agent Doug Jolley is expected to visit with the Panthers today, as the team tries to bolster the tight end position. There has been some indication new offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson wants more receiving production from the tight ends.

-- Charlotte Observer

He does-so why bring in Jolley :D .

He does-so why bring in Jolley :D .

I was driving into work and the guys on sports talk radio were having a little one with this one given that Jolley caught 1 ball for 7 yards for the Bucs. They said that he would fit right in with the other TEs on the roster. :D

Than having a little more fun with the Jolley's visit, they had an imaginary conversation with Jeff King and Michael Gaines comparing stats....

King says I caught 1 ball too, but mine was a TD at least!! Then Michael Gaines pipes up and says I beat all of you guys as I caught 15 balls for 146 yards... King and Jolley say together.... you da man, but King's comes back and asks, but you didn't catch any TDs like I did!!! :tup:

It was pretty funny stuff. :doh::D

Yeah Jolley is useless, he couldn't even beat out Becht for playing time last season.

PanterDave,

What's the skinny on Chris Draft? I guess the Bucs are taking a look at him.

He wants to start and be paid starters money, if he has to be a back-up he'd rather resign with Carolina.

Have you heard anything about them potentially cutting DeShaun Foster? He's reportedly on a short list of RBs that Packers would be interested in should he be released. Others are Mike Anderson, Lamont Jordan, and Ricky Williams.

Mike Anderson will not be cut. I am 99% certain his contract was VERY cap friendly, so unless he is injured or done, he's a Raven for three more seasons.

The thought is that Musa Smith is better, but cannot stay healthy. Anderson is a solid #2.

It would be a mistake IMO if they release Foster. Foster just signed a 4 year deal last year, so financially it would hit the Panthers pretty hard. I don't think it was for huge money, but enough to hurt if he was released. What the Panthers should do is let Williams be the main back, but spell him with Foster on ocassion to keep him fresh. Do a 70/30 split with Williams getting the majority of the carries. So Foster would basically be the change of pace, slower back kind of thing.

It would be a mistake IMO if they release Foster. Foster just signed a 4 year deal last year, so financially it would hit the Panthers pretty hard. I don't think it was for huge money, but enough to hurt if he was released. What the Panthers should do is let Williams be the main back, but spell him with Foster on ocassion to keep him fresh. Do a 70/30 split with Williams getting the majority of the carries. So Foster would basically be the change of pace, slower back kind of thing.

Actually, he signed a 3 year, $14.5 Mil that is actually cap friendly if the Panthers decided to cut him. There is no way that will happen this year, so he will bascially have one year left until his contract is up at the end of 2008. The Panthers would be foolish to release him based on the high dollar contracts, as they would not find a replacement any better on the current market.

Foster's contract

The Panthers re-signed Jordan Carstens to a one year deal-second round tender. I'm not surprized by this, as the kid is a hard worker and good football player, who will improve to depth and rotation of the DL. He has endeared himself to Fox because of his work ethic, and Fox will let you come back from injury/surgery to try and play again, and I say welcome back as well from a homer perspective as the kid has a good motor and hustles every play.

The AM radio guys interviewed Marty Hurney this morning and pressed him about the lack of free agent moves. He basically admitted that they are going to concentrate on the draft, look at some safety help, and save their money. He knows he's got to pay Peppers next year and they are already planning.

Don't expect to see any big dollars spent this year by the Panthers. I'd expect them to bring in a veteran QB and hopefully a safety, and Hurney said Morgan has been cleared by the team physicians for full contact by minicamp.