[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

John Edwards' wife's cancer has returned

wiegie

Edwards Will Continue Presidential Run

Mar 22 11:42 AM US/Eastern

By MIKE BAKER

Associated Press Writer

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) - John Edwards said Thursday his wife's cancer has returned, but said he will continue his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination.

"The campaign goes on. The campaign goes on strongly," Edwards told reporters, his wife by his side.

Edwards, 53, canceled a Tuesday evening house party in Iowa to go with his wife to a doctor's appointment, which his campaign described as a follow-up to a routine test she had Monday.

Mrs. Edwards, 57, was first diagnosed with cancer in the final weeks of the 2004 campaign. The day after Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry and Edwards, his running mate, conceded the election to George W. Bush, Edwards announced that his wife had invasive ductal cancer, the most common type of breast cancer, and would undergo treatment.

Mrs. Edwards underwent several months of radiation and chemotherapy for the lump in her breast. Her husband's campaign has said she had recovered from the illness.

"I don't look sickly, I don't feel sickly. I am as ready as any person can be for that," she said at the news conference.

John Edwards said a biopsy of her rib had showed that the cancer had returned.

The bone is one of the most common places where breast cancer spreads, and once it does so it is not considered curable.

But how long women survive depends on how widespread the cancer is in the bone, and many can survive for years. The longer it takes for cancer to spread after the initial tumor, the better the prognosis. She was diagnosed in 2004.

Chemotherapy and radiation are standard treatments, along with use of drugs that specifically target the bones called bisphosphonates. Other treatments include hormone therapy if the cancer is responsive to estrogen.

In a horribly terrible coincidence, about one minute after I posted this message a very good student of mine just came to my office door to ask if it might be possible for him to take an incomplete in my class because he just learned that his mom's cancer had returned and she would need immediate treatment. :D

She dies some time about two months before the election and women everywhere vote him into the White House on the "sympathy vote" and with the hope that he might turn his nice head of hair and dreamy smile towards them in his grief-stricken state.

How's that for cynical?

She dies some time about two months before the election and women everywhere vote him into the White House on the "sympathy vote" and with the hope that he might turn his nice head of hair and dreamy smile towards them in his grief-stricken state.

How's that for cynical?

They already made that movie, but Annette Benning didn't get naked. Dammit.

Just brutal. My thoughts go out to the Edwards family.

Awful news. The fact that her cancer popped up only two years after aggressive treatment for the initial tumor is not a good sign.

In a horribly terrible coincidence, about one minute after I posted this message a very good student of mine just came to my office door to ask if it might be possible for him to take an incomplete in my class because he just learned that his mom's cancer had returned and she would need immediate treatment. :D

Very sad. :D