[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

5 Keeper League

Need some advice here. This is a league where we get to have 5 keepers with no restrictions as to how many from which positions. The Starting Roster Requirements are for 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 RB/WR, 1 Team Defense. Plus we have 8 Bench Players. I'm one of those players that tends to start RBs in a flex position if I have the player strength to do so, so almost every week last year I played 3 RBs and 2 WRs. Fairly standard non-PPR scoring, but with a few bonuses for long TD receptions and runs.

Here is the roster I'm selecting my keepers from, with seven players in bold that I think are legitimate candidates for keeper status:

QBs -- Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Garcia

RBs -- Westbrook, Gore, Alexander, Ronnie Brown, Tatum Bell, Ladell Betts

WRs -- Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne, Bernard Berrian, Rod Smith

TEs -- Jeremy Shockey and Vernon Davis

K -- Nate Kaeding

DST -- Chicago Bears

Only reason a QB is on that list is because of the relative importance of QBs with the requirement that we play two every week. Now, here is what I am thinking of doing. I have already traded up to have some pretty strong draft positions -- currently have 1.6, 1.7, and 2.2. As usual, running backs should be in short supply in the draft, with a better selection of WRs. Thinking of keeping Palmer, Alexander, Westbrook, Gore, and Holt.

I would then take Ronnie Brown and put together a deal where I would get one more 1st round pick (probably either 1.3 or 1.4) for Ronnie Brown. The selling point to the other team would be that he will be the best RB to be dropped, and by trading his first round pick to me for him now that team is guaranteeing that pick rather than hoping that one of the teams in front of him doesn't grab him first.

This would mean me walking into the draft with Palmer, Gore, Westbrook, Alexander, and Holt as my keepers -- and draft positions of 1.3, 1.6, 1.7, and 2.2.

What do you think? Any alternate suggestions are welcome.

SuperChiefs / John

Good idea, though a team would be hard pressed to give up a first rounder for him as then he is giving up not only that first rounder, plus the player he would have kept had he not traded for Brown. Giving up a keeper plus your first pick is a steep price, but, if a team is very weak they may go for it, if the owner does not think things through like that they may go for it, or if they have 4 very strong keepers, but no 5th keeper and they feel a player like Brown puts them in a position where their 5 are better than most teams 5 keepers plus the first round pick, they may do it.

In this system, Palmer is a no brainer, as is Alexander and Gore. With no PPR, Westbrook loses some value, so I'm not sure I might not lean Brown over him. Depending on the bonus for length of TD, Wayne and Holt may both be candidates as they both have long ball capabilities. Either way, whichever you keep definitely look to deal the other. Always look to deal any player you aren't going to keep for something as something is better than nothing. Realistically a mid round pick is a decent value for a player you'd be throwing away anyway, so, if you can get an early round pick for one of you players you aren't going to keep, jump all over it.

QBs -- Carson Palmer

RBs -- Westbrook, Gore, Alexander

WRs -- Torry Holt

I'm not a big fan of keeping QBs but Palmer is one of the 2 I would keep. I would also try to trade Brown and Wayne for picks

This would mean me walking into the draft with Palmer, Gore, Westbrook, Alexander, and Holt as my keepers -- and draft positions of 1.3, 1.6, 1.7, and 2.2.

What do you think? Any alternate suggestions are welcome.

SuperChiefs / John

You don't need our help. This would be a superb course of action. The only change of plan I might add is keeping Wayne instead of Holt. Holt struggled at times last year (through no fault of his own - Linehan is going to smash-mouth football, which is great w/ Steven Jackson as his hoss), so I might keep the guy who is now Manning's #1 target with harrison started to show signs of aging.

Well done.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Your top 4 RBs are all too valuable in keeper leagues to move right now. I would personally keep your top 4 RB's and Carson. You can move Shaun Alexander for ANY RECEIVER OR QB you want, and you would still have Ronnie Brown in the 3 spot. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT keep the best starting lineup.... instead keep the most overall value. I love Holt & Wayne, but Brown is much hotter commodity in a keeper league. Heck, keep one of the receivers then trade Alexander for Peyton Manning.