[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Falluja shootout

cliaz

the key word being kids

Cliaz, are you thinking what I'm thinking? If we send senior citizens to Iraq instead we can fight the war on terrorism *and* fix the social security crisis all at once. Brilliant!

Edited by yo mama

the key word being kids

I heard an 18 year old died yesterday right out of boot camp. Don't they train these guys anymore.

Cliaz, are you thinking what I'm thinking? If we send senior citizens to Iraq instead we can fight the war on terrorism *and* fix the social security crisis all at once. Brilliant!

Didn't they just send the Tuskegee Airmen back over there? :D

I heard an 18 year old died yesterday right out of boot camp. Don't they train these guys anymore.

Bullets and roadside bombs do not discriminate between the experienced and the rookies. And, yes, they do train them. Very well, I might add.

We had a Master Sergeant in our Battalion that had also previously fought in the Vietnam and Gulf War. He mostly stayed back 'in the rear with the gear' as an administrative personel, however, the good news is he didn't become another statistic -- and in your scenario offer a solution to the social security problem.

And besides, the only real way to solve the social security issue is to reform the entire system. IMO, we should set a date (that is not retroactive) to make social security more of an individual "tax". Although, it wouldn't really be a tax, but more of an investment; however an investment only if (which it should be) the individuals are given access to this account at a certain age. Not only would you collect interest on your social security, but you'd also be gauranteed the money you earned is going back into your pocket. Not the pocket of some other individual that doesn't deserve your hard earned money.

Bullets and roadside bombs do not discriminate between the experienced and the rookies. And, yes, they do train them. Very well, I might add.

I usually try and bypass the stupidity that some people try and push onto others, but if there was a correct answer to the comment you are referring to, you hit it right on the money. I actually read the CNN article that mediated this information and I found it difficult to connect the death of a fresh-from-boot camp soldier in Iraq with a lack of training. That would be like trying to theorize that veteran soldiers probably die in war because they must be tired, you know, since they've been there awhile. :D

We had a Master Sergeant in our Battalion that had also previously fought in the Vietnam and Gulf War. He mostly stayed back 'in the rear with the gear' as an administrative personel, however, the good news is he didn't become another statistic -- and in your scenario offer a solution to the social security problem.

And besides, the only real way to solve the social security issue is to reform the entire system. IMO, we should set a date (that is not retroactive) to make social security more of an individual "tax". Although, it wouldn't really be a tax, but more of an investment; however an investment only if (which it should be) the individuals are given access to this account at a certain age. Not only would you collect interest on your social security, but you'd also be gauranteed the money you earned is going back into your pocket. Not the pocket of some other individual that doesn't deserve your hard earned money.

Your joke wasn't as funny as mine.

They used to but read this.

No wonder Murtha is requiring training and equipment.

By Greg Mitchell

Published: April 04, 2007 6:20 PM ET updated 9:00 PM ET

WASHINGTON Two soldiers killed in Iraq in February may have died as a result of friendly fire, Army officials said Wednesday, not from enemy fire, as the press reported.

The military suspected friendly fire later in February but did not inform the dead soldiers' families of these new doubts.

One of the soldiers died just hours after arriving in Iraq -- and was one of those troops rushed to the country in the "surge" who did not receive full training.

The Army said it is investigating the deaths of Pvt. Matthew Zeimer, 18, of Glendive, Mont., and Spc. Alan E. McPeek, 20, of Tucson, Ariz., who were killed in Ramadi, in western Iraq on Feb. 2. The families of the soldiers at first were told they were killed by enemy fire.

"Zeimer arrived at Fort Stewart on Dec. 18 after basic training and deployed to Iraq just a few weeks later. He missed the brigade's intensive four-week mission rehearsal in October when more than 1,300 trainers and Iraqi role-players came to the post as part of the most realistic training program the Army offers for Iraq operations.

"The fact some of the brigade's 4,000 soldiers missed that training raises questions about how well the Army is preparing troops for war in the face of accelerated and repeat deployments."

Two days before that, the same newspaper reported that "some Iraq veterans in the 1st Brigade have expressed concerns about their younger counterparts missing the mission rehearsal. 'The training was good but some guys came in after that. They're basically going straight from basic training into Iraq,' said Staff Sgt. Jason Massey last month, before saying goodbye to his family for a third combat tour."

They used to but read this.

No wonder Murtha is requiring training and equipment.

By Greg Mitchell

Published: April 04, 2007 6:20 PM ET updated 9:00 PM ET

WASHINGTON Two soldiers killed in Iraq in February may have died as a result of friendly fire, Army officials said Wednesday, not from enemy fire, as the press reported.

The military suspected friendly fire later in February but did not inform the dead soldiers' families of these new doubts.

One of the soldiers died just hours after arriving in Iraq -- and was one of those troops rushed to the country in the "surge" who did not receive full training.

The Army said it is investigating the deaths of Pvt. Matthew Zeimer, 18, of Glendive, Mont., and Spc. Alan E. McPeek, 20, of Tucson, Ariz., who were killed in Ramadi, in western Iraq on Feb. 2. The families of the soldiers at first were told they were killed by enemy fire.

"Zeimer arrived at Fort Stewart on Dec. 18 after basic training and deployed to Iraq just a few weeks later. He missed the brigade's intensive four-week mission rehearsal in October when more than 1,300 trainers and Iraqi role-players came to the post as part of the most realistic training program the Army offers for Iraq operations.

"The fact some of the brigade's 4,000 soldiers missed that training raises questions about how well the Army is preparing troops for war in the face of accelerated and repeat deployments."

Two days before that, the same newspaper reported that "some Iraq veterans in the 1st Brigade have expressed concerns about their younger counterparts missing the mission rehearsal. 'The training was good but some guys came in after that. They're basically going straight from basic training into Iraq,' said Staff Sgt. Jason Massey last month, before saying goodbye to his family for a third combat tour."

And you're right, there are soldiers arriving too late for the training but still being deployed. That is inevitable. However, the training that is provided is really good, I have been told by one who would know because he just completed it. They use real Iraqis, hundreds of them, and vast acreage of desert c/w mock Iraqi towns.