[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Phone idiot

Ursa Majoris

So, my son had his Sprint cell phone suspended while he's in Iraq with the Marines. He's been there about 3 weeks. Turns out Sprint screwed it up and charged him the usual amount, so he asked me to call them to sort it out, supplying the password and whatnot.

I called just now and after fighting my way through the labyrinth of options and talking to a machine, finally reached a person. Here's the transcript:

Idiot: Number?

Me: <gives number>

Idiot: Name on account?

Me: <gives name>

Idiot: Password?

Me: <gives password>

Idiot: What can I help you with?

Me: I'm calling on behalf of my son, who suspended his cell phone account while he's with the Marines out in Iraq - he shipped out 3 weeks ago and you have still charged him. I'd like to ensure the account is suspended.

Idiot: Oh, OK, is he coming back?

Me: :D I f'n hope so, you f'n tool!

Anyway, I got the account suspended properly but I'd like to have suspended the cretin on the other end from a rope.

I don't want to piss you off but don't count on things being taken care of. My wife has Sprint and every single month she is on the phone fighting over a bill. This has been for months, btw.

I would not be at all shocked to be battling these people for months.

Ursa, I think your anger might be a little displaced. I'm sure the guy didn't mean anything by his stupid comment. He's probably making minimum wage and just clueless about life in general. (And more than likely he was just trying to find out if your son's deployment overseas was going to be longterm so that they could cancel the account instead of just suspending it.)

Ursa, I think your anger might be a little displaced. I'm sure the guy didn't mean anything by his stupid comment. He's probably making minimum wage and just clueless about life in general. (And more than likely he was just trying to find out if your son's deployment overseas was going to be longterm so that they could cancel the account instead of just suspending it.)

I thought the same thing at first. But you know what Wieg, you have to be more tactful/professional when representing a company. He may have meant what you have stated, however, he should have worded the question a little differently IMO.

I am sure this is the case. Was the insensitive comment intentional, probably not. Was it stupid, definitely. But this employee is a customer service representative that talks to hundreds of people each week should be aware of how to word things and how not to word things. Everything that he says is not only going to reflect on him but it will also reflect on the company that he is speaking on behalf of. Especially when it comes to such a sensitive subject.

Edited by max

I'm sure he meant nothing by it. If he had, I'd be on my way to Kansas City right now to pull his entrails out and strangle him with them. And you're probably right - deployments overseas can be for years e.g. Okinawa and he was just asking a question along those lines without formulating the words very well. We've all had words tumble out and only realized the import later. He just phrased it badly and I'm a bit wound up right now is all.

I am sure this is the case. Was the insensitive comment intentional, probably not. Was it stupid, definitely. But this employee is a customer service representative that talks to hundreds of people each week should be aware of how to word things and how not to word things. Everything that he says is not only going to reflect on him but it will also reflect on the company that he is speaking on behalf of. Especially when it comes to such a sensitive subject.

I'm sure he meant nothing by it. If he had, I'd be on my way to Kansas City right now to pull his entrails out and strangle him with them. And you're probably right - deployments overseas can be for years e.g. Okinawa and he was just asking a question along those lines without formulating the words very well. We've all had words tumble out and only realized the import later. He just phrased it badly and I'm a bit wound up right now is all.

Yeah what I said. :D

Getting rid of Sprint is one of the best decisions a person could make IMHO. There are just so many cell phone providers out there competing for your business, and almost all of them have better customer service than Sprint.

Getting rid of Sprint is one of the best decisions a person could make IMHO. There are just so many cell phone providers out there competing for your business, and almost all of them have better customer service than Sprint.

Agreed. My son used to be on my Verizon plan but when in CA, he was stuck in a tiny area that was out of Verizon service, hence the forced move to Sprint.

OTOH, Sprint data plan is way better than Verizon's.