[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jesus I can't believe what i just heard

cliaz

Confirm to me that the Swiss are offended when people come to their country and don't eat horse, if you would. TIA.

While you're about it, would you also confirm that a good host checks what their guests might not want to eat in advance of hosting them? Also TIA.

I will confirm that people in Switzerland would be offended if you told them that the reason you do not eat horsemeat is because you think that only primitive people eat horsemeat.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will confirm that people in Switzerland would be offended if you told them that the reason you do not eat horsemeat is because you think that only primitive people eat horsemeat.

Not what I asked though, is it, wiegie? You see, I know beforehand that the good burghers of Switzerland eat horse and I can therefore exercise my choice to go there or not, to partake or not. Whether I think their epicuniary practices are primitive or not is neither here nor there - it is their turf and they can do as they like, while I have every right to consider their practices disgusting or not, as I see fit. However, here on my turf, there are different rules and those rules must be respected, which the wizened old bag killing the dog clearly didn't.

As for offending people, if a Swiss tried to force horsemeat upon me, I would have no problem calling him a primitive. I don't see it happening though, the Swiss are a cultured people (except for their unfortunate horsemeat aberration, of course) not known for using force. If me calling out Vietnamese crones living in America for failing to rise above the level of a cave dweller offends said Viets, then tough $hit, F off back to Vietnam. It is not too much to ask people who choose to live in America to observe the mores of their adopted land. One of those mores is that we don't eat dogs here.

Not what I asked though, is it, wiegie? You see, I know beforehand that the good burghers of Switzerland eat horse and I can therefore exercise my choice to go there or not, to partake or not. Whether I think their epicuniary practices are primitive or not is neither here nor there - it is their turf and they can do as they like, while I have every right to consider their practices disgusting or not, as I see fit. However, here on my turf, there are different rules and those rules must be respected, which the wizened old bag killing the dog clearly didn't.

As for offending people, if a Swiss tried to force horsemeat upon me, I would have no problem calling him a primitive. I don't see it happening though, the Swiss are a cultured people (except for their unfortunate horsemeat aberration, of course) not known for using force. If me calling out Vietnamese crones living in America for failing to rise above the level of a cave dweller offends said Viets, then tough $hit, F off back to Vietnam. It is not too much to ask people who choose to live in America to observe the mores of their adopted land. One of those mores is that we don't eat dogs here.

I don't think you guys have much to stand on here against Ursa. There are a ton of things that go on in other cultures that we don't tolerate here and nobody says boo about people saying, "Not in the US a-hole". Being offended by someone clubbing their dog to death in plain sight and not being afraid to tell them about it seems like a pretty defensible stance.

There is also no inconsistancies given the fact that he wouldn't expect to eat cow in India and would simply decline horsemeat in rather than chastise the Swiss for eating it.

All animals are the same, they have muscle and fat and all taste different, some are better than others...

...I am sure human tastes like some form of meat, not that many would try it, but really whats a human but another animal in the animal kingdom...

In some regards, I'm sure Western culture's opinion on other cultures that eat dog or cat meat probably isn't all that different then say Hindu's beliefs in slaughtering cows for beef. It's not my cup of tea and I'm not going to actively seek out dog or cat meat to eat if I was over there, but if given the opportunity I might try it.