[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

KC QBs

muck

No linky...but heard an interview with John Welborn (iirc) a couple of days ago...

He said that Brodie Croyle was gonna get the first shot at starting ... iirc ... his back and forth was something like this:

Q: "So, it doesn't look like Trent is coming back next year. Are you guys ready for a change at QB?"

A: "Of course it'll be tough. Trent has been one of the most productive QBs in the league the last five or so seasons. But, yeah, we're going to toss the young guy in there and head off to war with him out front."

Q: "Can he handle it?"

A: "He's tough, he's smart, he's got a live arm, he can move in the pocket and he had a whole year to watch and learn from Trent and Damon."

...fyi...

Again, sorry no linky...

I recently heard that Croyle and Huard will be fighting it out in training camp for the starting slot. Could have sworn I heard Edwards say it.

I recently heard that Croyle and Huard will be fighting it out in training camp for the starting slot. Could have sworn I heard Edwards say it.

I don't recall ever having heard Edwards commit to an open competition.

nfl live was talking tonight as if the job is huard's ...

I've heard them say that too, but when I heard an actual KC offensive lineman say "Croyle's the guy", I thought I'd pass it along.

Edited by muck

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-t...=yhoo&type=lgns

No guarantees for Green

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

March 5, 2007

Jason Cole

Yahoo! Sports

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Trent Green was told by team president Carl Peterson that he can come back to the team next season, but will have to compete for the starting job with second-year quarterback Brodie Croyle and will have to take a pay cut to return.

Hes thinking about the situation, agent Jim Steiner said Monday night. Green, 36, is due to make $7.5 million in base salary. A salary reduction is likely regardless of whether Green plays in Kansas City next season or not.

If Green allows the Chiefs to trade him or asks them to release him, a new team would likely also ask him to take a pay cut. The question is whether Green would have a chance to make up the lost salary in incentives.

Moreover, the bigger issue for Green regards his two-year future. The Chiefs are eager to have Croyle, a third-round pick last year, get more practice time and work in the exhibition season. The Chiefs believe Croyle is their quarterback of the future and feel they have a solid backup in veteran Damon Huard, who signed a three-year contract extension before the start of free agency.

Green, who missed eight games last season after suffering a concussion in the season opener, was told that Croyle would get a lot of practice time with the first team in the offseason and during training camp. With that writing on the wall, Green may feel compelled to go elsewhere, figuring that if the change to Croyle isnt made this year, it could come the following year.

Green could have a chance to go to another team this year and establish himself as a starter for the next two years. The Miami Dolphins are reportedly interested in Green. New Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron coached Green for two years with the Washington Redskins when both were getting started in the NFL.

The Dolphins, who released Joey Harrington on Monday, currently have Daunte Culpepper and Cleo Lemon at quarterback. Getting Green would obviously put Culpepper, who missed much of last season recovering from knee surgery, on the outs with the Dolphins.

Coming into the 2006 season, Green had averaged 23 touchdowns, 13 interceptions and more than 4,000 yards passing in the previous four seasons. However, he threw seven touchdowns and nine interceptions in eight games last season. The Chiefs offense also struggled in a playoff loss to the Indianapolis Colts and Green was part of the problem, botching a snap that cost the Chiefs a score early in the game and throwing the ball away early on several occasions.

Jason Cole is a national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Jason a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

no link for this one:

The job as Chiefs starting quarterback appears to be Brodie Croyle's to lose. Coach Herm Edwards stopped short in a media briefing on Tuesday of making that declaration. But Edwards did indicate Croyle would get much of the work when the Chiefs begin offseason practice in May and at training camp when it begins in July. “He’s going to get an opportunity,” Edwards said. “Maybe it doesn’t work out. But at least you’ll know. That’s not to say he’s going to be the starter. I don’t know who that guy is going to be at this point. But it needs to be open for competition, in my opinion, from what happened last year. It’s just the way we need to go. “I want to find out where he’s at. Until you give players the ability to go out there and do it, you never know. It’s just a matter of getting Brodie some reps where he’s in competition and … where you can see how he can perform.” The Chiefs last month re-signed veteran quarterback Damon Huard to prevent him from leaving as a free agent.

Posted March 21, by Ben Maller

http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/58552.html

CHIEFS | Croyle raring to go

Quarterback is eager to show Edwards, Chiefs that their faith in his ability to become the starter is well-founded.

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Occasional winter travels between Kansas City and his home in Alabama provided a convenient excuse for Brodie Croyle. He couldn’t always follow the often-dramatic developments regarding the Chiefs and their quarterbacks.

Word still filtered his way that the Chiefs plan to give Croyle every chance to win the starting position. That process started this week with the beginning of the offseason program.

“It makes you even more eager and more excited about what’s fixing to happen,” Croyle said. “They’re not guaranteeing me anything. They’ve just said they’re going to give me a shot. If I’m ready to go, I’m ready to go. My whole thought is that I’m going to be ready to go and have the best offseason and minicamp and training camp I can possibly have. I want to give them no reason to think anything but that I’m ready to go.”

Conditioning sessions started Monday. Quarterbacks had the first of their three-times-a-week classroom sessions with position coach Dick Curl on Tuesday.

“We’ll talk about protections,” Curl said. “We’ll talk about routes. We’ll talk about defenses and how we’ll try to attack specific coverages. He’ll have to get up on the board after we look at some things. He’ll have to show us what he saw, this is what they did, this is how we’re going to protect it, this is where he should go with the ball in that situation.”

Eventually, Croyle and the other quarterbacks will move to the field to work on mechanics and techniques and do some throwing to receivers. Practice begins in May.

It’s the time of year for individual attention. At quarterback, most of it will be given to Croyle, the Chiefs’ third-round draft pick last year.

Coach Herm Edwards had Croyle on his radar before he joined the Chiefs. Edwards is friends with Mike Shula, Croyle’s college coach at Alabama. Shula provided Edwards with glowing reports on Croyle as his college career unfolded.

When Edwards got around to watching some video of Croyle, what he saw reminded him of Chad Pennington, his quarterback with the Jets. Croyle showed a cool head and the ability to make all the necessary throws.

Edwards would prefer that the 24-year-old Croyle win the job. That would, in theory, solve the Chiefs’ quarterback issues for the foreseeable future.

“This is his second time around, so he should be more knowledgeable about everything,” offensive coordinator Mike Solari said. “You usually see the biggest growth in the second year. He will start to see more things, comprehend more things. At first, everything is thrown at you and sometimes it’s overwhelming. Now, he’s not trying to just learn what to do. He can absorb everything, focus and really learn the details.

“This is a great time for him. It’s a perfect time to give him a chance to compete and show what he can do.”

The Chiefs were hopeful that the slightly built Croyle would return bigger than when he left, but he weighed in Monday at 207 pounds, about where he was when he left in January.

That’s despite his best efforts at meals.

“Ask anybody,” he said. “They think I’ve got a tapeworm, I eat so much.”

At issue is his ability to withstand the punishment of a 16-game season, if that becomes necessary. Croyle indicated he’d like to play at about 215.

“Trent went through the whole season at 212 last year,” he said. “I weighed 2 pounds less than Trent did today. Weight is not all that big an issue for me. It helps when you get banged around and all that. But most of it is how bad you want to get back up after you’ve been smoked. A lot of it has to do with how tough you are and how much you want to play the game. That can take you a lot further than just being 230 or 240 pounds.

“I’m not too concerned about it. Our strength coach isn’t too concerned about it. He’s been with Jake Plummer with Denver the last few years and (Plummer’s) been about 200.”

Ultimately, weight won’t be the make-or-break factor. The Chiefs would rather see his progress on the field.

“It’s one thing to be able to do in it the classroom,” Curl said. “It’s another thing when you’re playing in a game. You really need to get into a preseason game, where the bodies are coming at you full speed. In (offseason practices), you can make a mistake and it can be corrected. During the game, that mistake can get you beat.

“It’s going to be a work in progress. To say we’re going to be there at the first game, that would be great. But being realistic about it, it’s going to take longer than that.”

Still havent been able to find that quote I was referring to :D

Edited by keggerz

Per KFFL

http://www.kffl.com/player/13540/NFL

Chiefs | Croyle to get majority of reps

Thu, 5 Apr 2007 21:51:07 -0700

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reporting for the Sporting News, reports QB Brodie Croyle will receive most of the reps when the Kansas City Chiefs begin offseason practice in May and when the team gets to training camp. The Chiefs would like to see Croyle win the starting job. His arm is strong enough, he has a nice touch on the ball and requisite leadership qualities. The biggest concerns are his lack of size and durability.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chiefs | Starting quarterback job Croyle's to lose?

Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:04:42 -0700

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards suggested Tuesday, March 27, that a quarterback may have to beat out QB Brodie Croyle by a wide margin during offseason practices and training camp in order to win the team's starting job. "You have to make certain judgments with your football team," Edwards said. "If I go with a veteran guy, how much better would we be than if I play the young guy? Is that going to allow me to win one or two more games? Or, do I look at it like I'm trying to build a championship team?"

"Coach Herm Edwards stopped short in a media briefing on Tuesday of making that declaration. But Edwards did indicate Croyle would get much of the work when the Chiefs begin offseason practice in May and at training camp when it begins in July. “He’s going to get an opportunity,” Edwards said. “Maybe it doesn’t work out. But at least you’ll know. That’s not to say he’s going to be the starter. I don’t know who that guy is going to be at this point. But it needs to be open for competition, in my opinion, from what happened last year."

This is the article and line I was referring to. I think he will be the starter if he plays even half decent. Herm is wanting to rebuild the team with younger players all around. The Chiefs NEED Croyle to step up and be that guy/QB for the long term future, something we haven't been able to find in the draft.

Huard looked awful good last year. I don't think Croyle is ready to start yet even though saying it's his job to lose helps with his confidence.

a) Besides Gonzo, the Chiefs have no receivers. The QB's job will be to hand the ball off to LJ 400 times a year. A lot of quarterbacks can do that.

b.) The fact that Croyle is getting the majority of work in minicamp doesn't mean all that much in my opinion. Maybe Herm is just going to give the kid enough rope to hang himself. Gotta find out sometime. And Huard is a nice insurance policy. He is very good at handing the ball to LJ.

c) Competition is good.

Edited by rattsass