[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dallas fans...

irish

With the 3rd and 22nd picks in the 4th rd starting off tomorrow, who would you like to see them take?

Some ideas...

WRs- Aundrae Allison- good body control, top athletic ability with speed and quickness, body catcher, not a hard worker but has natural ability that he gets by on, Courtney Taylor- good size and athletic ability, plays hard, body catches some, strong, runs well in uniform, lacks real burst, good character, and David Clowney- has very nice height and speed, very fluid, great character and toughness, however, he's thin (durability issue) and is not a very good blocker.

T- Doug Free- long arms, smart, great character, plays hard and hurt (played with a stress fracture in foot last year), can play TE in short/goal-line packages, does need more strength though.

C/G- Leroy Harris- smart, great character, good quickness, tough/hard worker.

DT- Marcus Thomas 1st rd talent that has character issues and trouble staying in shape would be a value pick in the 4th rd.

DB/S- Tanard Jackson best suited for a Cover-2 scheme, small hands and needs work on his ball skills.

FS- Josh Gattis- good size, smart, well-coached, understands the game, has coverage ability, good hands, doesn't make many mistakes, great character but needs too tackle better.

RB- Antonio Pittman -just cause it would be great value getting him here, patient 3 down RB.

QB- Troy Smith- why not at this point, strong arm, quick delivery, can escape the rush, quick and athletic, needs alot of work but is a take charge player that could surprise.

Thoughts?

Edited by irish

I'll still trying to figure out what the first day was all about. We should of got more for Quinn AND WE PAYED WAY TO MUCH TO MOVE BACK INTO THE 1ST ROUND .

We did however fill a couple of needs (although I would of liked to seen a good CB before an OT)

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

My thoughts

G - Josh Beekman - simply a huge mauler. Should be off the board already.

RB - Michael Bush - IR him next yr and bring him back fully healthy in 08

K - Mason Crosby - has a huge leg, is accurate and is a huge weapon kicking off, With half of his kickoffs going out of the endzone last yr.

DE - Bryan Robinson - great motor and is relentless in pursuit.

I'll still trying to figure out what the first day was all about. We should of got more for Quinn AND WE PAYED WAY TO MUCH TO MOVE BACK INTO THE 1ST ROUND .

We did however fill a couple of needs (although I would of lied to seen a good CB before an OT)

I wouldn't have minded keeping our 2nd rounder and taking exactly who Cleveland did, Eric Wright.

My thoughts

G - Josh Beekman - simply a huge mauler. Should be off the board already.

RB - Michael Bush - IR him next yr and bring him back fully healthy in 08

K - Mason Crosby - has a huge leg, is accurate and is a huge weapon kicking off, With half of his kickoffs going out of the endzone last yr.

DE - Bryan Robinson - great motor and is relentless in pursuit.

Beekman does lack quickness and movement, has short arms therefore making him more of a center. 5.40 in the 40.

Bush is a medical concern plus he's not fast, played in a 3-back system and has some weight issues.

Bryan Robinson would fit our scheme well as he's a DE/LB mix having played both, very good athlete but needs to work more on his pass rushing.

And certainly we could use a kicker upgrade so Crosby would be nice. I just hate the idea of drafting a kicker.

Edited by irish

I love the Boys draft. They addressed 2 huge needs. When Greg Ellis went down, the secondary was abused, as teams had all day to pass. Spencer has the same upside as D Ware coming off the other end, and with Ellis returning, they now have a nice rotation of OLB/DE.

Flozell Adams is in the final yr of his contract, and probably wont be resigned after 08, as his age, injury risk, and declining play wont be worth what someone else will pay him next FA. Dallas got a mauling type OT, who is huge at 6'7" and has room to grow his 300 lb frame. This pick wont help this yr, unless there is an injury, but the Boys OL with L Davis, Columbo resigning and now Marten was the 5th best OT in this draft, and they got him a round later than the one right in front of him. Great value pick, and future starter at LT.

I dont think WR is a need at this point. Crayton is a nice #3 WR, and they have 2 nice starters. Age is a concern, but not this yr.

Dallas made the trade with Cleveland for one reason. They projected to have a lower 1st next yr than Baltimore. Dallas has its eye on a top 5 pick next yr and a player Jerry Jones covets from his alma- mater Arkansas. One RB Darren McFadden......

Dallas made the trade with Cleveland for one reason. They projected to have a lower 1st next yr than Baltimore. Dallas has its eye on a top 5 pick next yr and a player Jerry Jones covets from his alma- mater Arkansas. One RB Darren McFadden......

I'm going to remember this :D Good call. That sure would be stocking one position though.

I love the Boys draft. They addressed 2 huge needs. When Greg Ellis went down, the secondary was abused, as teams had all day to pass. Spencer has the same upside as D Ware coming off the other end, and with Ellis returning, they now have a nice rotation of OLB/DE. I agree.

Flozell Adams is in the final yr of his contract, and probably wont be resigned after 08, as his age, injury risk, and declining play wont be worth what someone else will pay him next FA. Dallas got a mauling type OT, who is huge at 6'7" and has room to grow his 300 lb frame. This pick wont help this yr, unless there is an injury, but the Boys OL with L Davis, Columbo resigning and now Marten was the 5th best OT in this draft, and they got him a round later than the one right in front of him. Great value pick, and future starter at LT.I dont think WR is a need at this point. Crayton is a nice #3 WR, and they have 2 nice starters. Age is a concern, but not this yr. I like Marten as well but scouts were saying that he doesn't have the quickness to handle the speed rush therefore making him more of a RT.

Dallas made the trade with Cleveland for one reason. They projected to have a lower 1st next yr than Baltimore. Dallas has its eye on a top 5 pick next yr and a player Jerry Jones covets from his alma- mater Arkansas. One RB Darren McFadden...... Nice info. here I could definitely see this but hope it would be high enough.

I'm going to remember this :D Good call. That sure would be stocking one position though.

Julius Jones won't be around long.

I wouldn't have minded keeping our 2nd rounder and taking exactly who Cleveland did, Eric Wright.

Beekman does lack quickness and movement, has short arms therefore making him more of a center. 5.40 in the 40.

Bush is a medical concern plus he's not fast, played in a 3-back system and has some weight issues.

Bryan Robinson would fit our scheme well as he's a DE/LB mix having played both, very good athlete but needs to work more on his pass rushing.

And certainly we could use a kicker upgrade so Crosby would be nice. I just hate the idea of drafting a kicker.

I dont know where you get your info, but I disagree with just about everything you said above. Wright is a headache waiting to happen. No way Id take a character issue guy like him. He had to transfer from USC because of those issues.

Per ESPN

"Weaknesses: Lacks ideal recognition skills. Takes too many chances and is undisciplined. He gets caught peeking in the backfield and he gets burned too frequently for gambling. Not physical enough and doesn't show enough aggressiveness in run support. He avoids contact too often and he is a below-average open-field tackler. Comes with off-field character baggage. Transferred from USC to UNLV after he was arrested and charged on suspicion of rape. The charges were eventually dropped but authorities did find the drug ecstasy in his apartment, which he shared with a roommate, during a search."

Dallas isnt Green Bay or Washington, they are not a pulling, trap team. So their guards rarely have to run. Beekman will take his man out, which is why he would be a perfect fit. BTW, this is the writeup about him at ESPN.... "Beekman projects as one of the top-five offensive guard prospects in this year's class and should come off the board no later than the third round."

Bush was faster than you think before his injury, and a broken leg heals, it just takes time. He would be a better short yardage runner than Brandon Jacobs when healthy. Id rather have him than M Barber. Thats for sure.

Dallas has 5 picks tomorrow, so I dont mind if they use one on a weapon like Crosby.

Dallas glaring holes last yr were S and pass rush. They think Hamlin can be a centerfielder, though I disagree, that is why they didnt take a S yet. Watkins could still be that, as he showed promise, but was very raw. So I dont blame them for taking a S high. The pass rush covered up that flaw, when Dallas had 2 DE/OLB rushing the passer each play. When only Ware could get to the QB, they doubled him every play and opposing teams had all day to throw. No secondary was going to be very productive, with as much time as Dallas gave teams to throw. Addressing DE/OLB and the return of Ellis should upgrade the D.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

God I hate to say it but here goes.......

Cleveland isn't giving up a top 5 pick next year. They will have a lower draft slot then Baltimore, but they will not rank in the first 10.

And another thing, I not to sure that we should of traded away Quinn. Romo hasn't proved anything yet...

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

God I hate to say it but here goes.......

Cleveland isn't giving up a top 5 pick next year. They will have a lower draft slot then Baltimore, but they will not rank in the first 10.

And another thing, I not to sure that we should of traded away Quinn. Romo hasn't proved anything yet...

Lets see, Rookie QB, not named Vince Young. Jamal Lewis at WR, and a pourus D. Playing in a tough division and the AFC. I dont see them winning more than 4 games next yr. That said, I predict they will be picking in the 3-6 range. And are you kidding. Baltimore has a tremendous D, they upgraded their OL today, and McSpare has a lil gas left in the tank.

And I agree, why not take Quinn today, in case Romo falters next season. Dallas probably could have traded up with Philly to take Spencer even if they didnt make the first trade. Quinn and Spencer would have been a great start imo. Surely Quinn was the highest rated player on the Boys draft at #22, and Romo hasnt proven anything really yet. Though I think he will ....

I'm afraid we will just have to disagree. I see Cleveland at 8-8 next year. No way they start the rookie this year.

Frye is probably worse than the rookie. I dont think this team was Joe Thomas, and Jamal Lewis (who I think is no upgrade over Droughns imo), away from being 8-8, if you dont think the rookie will start next yr.

Wouldnt surprise me a bit if Cleveland is #1 overall next yr. Looking at the other teams who will compete for #1 overal. Oakland should improve with the moves they made today. Arizona has Leinart in place and have a LT to protect his blind side now. And this could open up things for Edge as well. Detroit imo will be better, as their offense was just turning it on at the end of the yr, and they could outscore alot of team, even if their D is less than average.

Houston may be #1 overall next yr actually, as they still havent addressed their OL, and Im not sure Shaub is better than Carr. Green is not the player he was, and this D just reached on a kid to play DT, who isnt a plugger, and their secondary is still in shambles. Houston wouldnt take McFadden #1 overall would they. Maybe, so Dallas may not get him even if Cleveland is the #2 overall team next yr.

But, Ill agree to disagree.

I would love to see the 'Boys take this guy with one of their handfull of picks today. This position has been a mess for too long! Spend a pick on this kid and his cannon leg and you don't have to worry about a kicker again for the next 5-10 years. Gramatica was decent last year but nobody should be fooled into thinking he is the long term answer.

Good call, Sgt & Muggsy

I would love to see the 'Boys take this guy with one of their handfull of picks today. This position has been a mess for too long! Spend a pick on this kid and his cannon leg and you don't have to worry about a kicker again for the next 5-10 years. Gramatica was decent last year but nobody should be fooled into thinking he is the long term answer.

Edited by 5RingsInBigD

Dallas glaring holes last yr were S and pass rush.

And once the film hit the streets on Romo, QB became on obvious weakness, too. The fact that Dallas continues to ignore this glaring need only makes the rest of the NFC East smile broadly.

Jojo, you seem to be the only level-headed Cowboy fan on this site. Romo hasn't proven a thing yet, and at #22, Quinn was definitely the pick.

Oh, and based on their schedule, I see the Browns at about 6-10/7-9 next year...which equates to a pick about 7th-11th.

And once the film hit the streets on Romo, QB became on obvious weakness, too. The fact that Dallas continues to ignore this glaring need only makes the rest of the NFC East smile broadly.

Jojo, you seem to be the only level-headed Cowboy fan on this site. Romo hasn't proven a thing yet, and at #22, Quinn was definitely the pick.

Oh, and based on their schedule, I see the Browns at about 6-10/7-9 next year...which equates to a pick about 7th-11th.

Quinn was definitely not the pick as Dallas needs to win now and Quinn would not do that for us more than Romo will. Spencer will have a much greater impact for us and with the drafting of Stanback we can let Romo give it a go for the next couple years while this guy warms up in the bullpen with all the talent he has.

Whats the word on Stanback? Are they looking to push him to WR.

He would definitely be looked at as a bit of a project. He's got good size, 4.5- 40 time, has the arm strength to make all the throws, has a quick release and can be accurate from awkward angles but does need to improve on his accuracy in general, very raw, often displaying sloppy technique as he doesn't stride into his throws, is a durability risk after breaking his foot (Lis-Franc injury- which has a history of recurrence). However, he is an excellent athlete that may just have to switch positions. He placed 5th in the 100 meter dash at the 2006 Pac-10 track championship. Time will tell. He should be medically cleared by June.

Edited by irish

With the 3rd and 22nd picks in the 4th rd starting off tomorrow, who would you like to see them take?

Some ideas...

WRs- Aundrae Allison- good body control, top athletic ability with speed and quickness, body catcher, not a hard worker but has natural ability that he gets by on, Courtney Taylor- good size and athletic ability, plays hard, body catches some, strong, runs well in uniform, lacks real burst, good character, and David Clowney- has very nice height and speed, very fluid, great character and toughness, however, he's thin (durability issue) and is not a very good blocker.

T- Doug Free- long arms, smart, great character, plays hard and hurt (played with a stress fracture in foot last year), can play TE in short/goal-line packages, does need more strength though.

C/G- Leroy Harris- smart, great character, good quickness, tough/hard worker.

DT- Marcus Thomas 1st rd talent that has character issues and trouble staying in shape would be a value pick in the 4th rd.

DB/S- Tanard Jackson best suited for a Cover-2 scheme, small hands and needs work on his ball skills.

FS- Josh Gattis- good size, smart, well-coached, understands the game, has coverage ability, good hands, doesn't make many mistakes, great character but needs too tackle better.

RB- Antonio Pittman -just cause it would be great value getting him here, patient 3 down RB.

QB- Troy Smith- why not at this point, strong arm, quick delivery, can escape the rush, quick and athletic, needs alot of work but is a take charge player that could surprise.

Thoughts?

NICE!!!

Edited by irish

Romo hasn't proven a thing yet, and at #22, Quinn was definitely the pick.

I disagree 100%. The Cowboys have decided that Romo is their quarterback, whether that's the right decision or not remains to be seen. Romo started 10 games. He's looked great at times and really bad at times. Just like every other QB after 10 starts...

Taking Quinn in the 1st would have been stupid, especially with the other needs they have, IMO.

Why Nick Folk and not Mason Crosby? I thought Crosby was going to be the top kicker, if taken next he'd be the 3rd taken. I had Folk as a possible Priority FA add, not a 6th rounder. He doesn't have the leg strength some of the others have in this draft and he can be inaccurate. I read somewhere that he'll struggle to make a team and even so will have difficulty sticking around. :D

Edited by irish