[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need to hide wire

MrTed46

I have purchased a new home and it will close in about a month or so...very excited :D

I will need to setup my home theatre system in the living room. At my old apartment I snaked speaker wire through the wall up the ceiling and down to the speaker wall. In this room there is Vinyln tiles (sound cheesy but looks good) so I won't be able to put holes in them to properly snakes. My friend mentioned to me there is some kind of Wire Mold where I can place near the base/floor molding to hide the speaker wire.

Do you guys know about this? I want to find a black wire mild that cab fit 2 10guage speaker wires.

Any help will be appreciated.

There are a whole bunch of companies that sell cable races, Panduit being one of them. Another possible solution is run it under the carpeting if there is some. I know there's some flat speaker wire designed specifically for this purpose. Finally, I don't know if you can't or won't cut holes in the walls. But you can just mount speaker jacks on wall plates if you're worried about looks.

Wire molding is a possiblity, and most are paintable, but sometimes things will stand out. I don't know what your room looks like, but would crown molding, a chair rail, or a picture rail look out of place? I ran my speaker wires around the perimeter of the room in the corner of the crown molding. Most molding is think enough that you could rip a narrow, shallow slot down the middle pretty easily.

One thing I would caution about running it under the carpet is try to keep it out of heavily trafficked areas. The wire won't hold up long term. Also all the times that I've ever seen wires ran under the carpet, you've always been able to feel it...and that is with some ultra-thin stuff.

Acoustic Research makes some flat speaker wire with an adhesive backing ... the idea is to run it low on the wall and paint over it. You can find similar stuff if you search on ebay for "ghost wiring" (no, I am not endorsing it nor do I know anything about them, except they claim they will send you a free sample).

Acoustic Research makes some flat speaker wire with an adhesive backing ... the idea is to run it low on the wall and paint over it. You can find similar stuff if you search on ebay for "ghost wiring" (no, I am not endorsing it nor do I know anything about them, except they claim they will send you a free sample).

You probably already know this Mr Ted, but AR wiring is junk.

Depending on the cost, it may be more effective to remove the current base-board, you could then rip it down or raise the hole piece up and run your wire underneath the bb and then cover with some shoe moulding. This may be cheaper than buying the prefabed stuff. Just be careful when you nail either way.

Depending on the cost, it may be more effective to remove the current base-board, you could then rip it down or raise the hole piece up and run your wire underneath the bb and then cover with some shoe moulding. This may be cheaper than buying the prefabed stuff. Just be careful when you nail either way.

+1, assuming your existing base boards are thick enough to withstand the cut you need to make.