[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for desktop database suggestions

DMD

I currently use Access for some things - mostly statistical report generation. But I am not that crazy about Access and the latest generation of it is not an improvement IMO. Office 2007 has done some very nice things with Word and Excel and even Outlook, but I do not like what they did to Access.

Does anyone use a desktop database product other than Access? I just need something that I can feed in either excel or CSV files and then manipulate them a bit and output results.

I currently use Access for some things - mostly statistical report generation. But I am not that crazy about Access and the latest generation of it is not an improvement IMO. Office 2007 has done some very nice things with Word and Excel and even Outlook, but I do not like what they did to Access.

Does anyone use a desktop database product other than Access? I just need something that I can feed in either excel or CSV files and then manipulate them a bit and output results.

Not sure how much you feel like coding sql or anything but you could always try mySQL. It's free and quite powerful. I think MS has a desktop version of their sql server 2005, but I think that might run a couple of bucks. I think their sql server 2000 version for desktop is free.

Edit: Link

Edited by BiggieFries

I always liked Filemaker Pro, but I know people will disagree.

For free... you could use the OpenOffice "Base" database program.

http://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html

It's part of the download package.

Filemaker Pro is the single worst piece of crap DB ever produced. Period.

DMD, all of them have their weaknesses and won't do everything that you need. Unfortunately, the only answer is to learn how to program to get around the limitations of the particular DB. VBA will be easier to learn, but Java would apply to any DB you decided to run on. Now I know that you won't do this, so my next suggestion is to hire someone to write a Java app that does what you want it to do. With only minor tweaking it will work for many years to come.

Filemaker Pro is the single worst piece of crap DB ever produced. Period.

We had a server that ran for 8 years straight on a PowerMac 9600. Never had any problem with it. Web connections, many clients... no issues.