[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Strategy In A League That Is QB-Centered

If there are were enough solid options for everyone, then yes, RB would be less important. But this year there are about 25 solid options, enough for only a few teams to get 3 of them.

I disagree wholheartedly. There are maybe 4 or 5 truly solid options at RB, then a large group of about 10-12 that are all full of potential and a lot of risk, not really the type of RB I would consider a truly solid options. Decent option yes, but all of them gambles (not that every player isn't technically a gamble)

Despending on your draft position, of course you can get both. Most people will be drafting a 2nd WR or a QB.

If I were in a start 3 RB league and there were that many good starting RBs and the #3 RBs scored similarly to a # 10- #15 WR, I know for a fact that the guys I play with sure as hell wouldn't be drafting #2 WRs or QBs in those slots.

QBs who have thrown for 3200+ yds in a season since 2003:

Drew Brees

Peyton Manning

Marc Bulger

Jon Kitna

Carson Palmer

Brett Favre

Tom Brady

Ben Roethlisberger

Philip Rivers

Chad Pennington

Eli Manning

Tom Brady

Trent Green

Brett Favre

Carson Palmer

Eli Manning

Kerry Collins

Peyton Manning

Drew Bledsoe

Drew Brees

Matt Hasselbeck

Jake Delhomme

Jake Plummer

Daunte Culpepper

Trent Green

Peyton Manning

Jake Plummer

Brett Favre

Marc Bulger

Jake Delhomme

Donovan McNabb

Aaron Brooks

Tom Brady

Vinny Testaverde

David Carr

Kerry Collins

Matt Hasselbeck

Peyton Manning

Trent Green

Marc Bulger

Matt Hasselbeck

Brad Johnson

Tom Brady

Jon Kitna

Aaron Brooks

Daunte Culpepper

Tommy Maddox

Brett Favre

Quincy Carter

Jake Delhomme

Donovan McNabb

Steve McNair

QBs who have thrown for 32+ TDs in a season since 2003:

Carson Palmer

Peyton Manning

Daunte Culpepper

Brett Favre

Interesting list...I think your point was to show that a bunch of QBs routinely throw 3200 yards per season, which is true.

But to my point, only TWO of them appear in everyone of those years...Manning and Brady. Palmer, McNabb and Bulger would certainly be there too, except for injuries in the years they missed making the list.

So if you are in a QB heavy league, wouldn't it be wise to select a QB who routinely puts up huge numbers a few rounds early, rather than be a part of a crapshoot of QBs later? ANd if there was ever a year to do it, this is it, since you'll still get a solid #2 RB in the 3rd round.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Interesting list...I think your point was to show that a bunch of QBs routinely throw 3200 yards per season, which is true.

But to my point, only TWO of them appear in everyone of those years...Manning and Brady. Palmer, McNabb and Bulger would certainly be there too, except for injuries in the years they missed making the list.

So if you are in a QB heavy league, wouldn't it be wise to select a QB who routinely puts up huge numbers a few rounds early, rather than be a part of a crapshoot of QBs later? ANd if there was ever a year to do it, this is it, since you'll still get a solid #2 RB in the 3rd round.

Maybe I'm the only nuts one here, but IMO that list of all the RBs with potential is filled with very high risk guys, none of whom is close to a sure thing to be a solid #2 FF RB (well, a couple are, but if we are talking just the ones that will be there mid 2nd into the 3rd, we are talking some hugh risky players).

Don't get me wrong, if Manning is there in the latter half of the 2nd, I'm thinking very hard about taking him, but I am not taking him with my first pick and likely not with an early 2nd rounder.

Too much drop off in talent ot take him with the first pick, you will be scrambling at every other position as you fall behind the ball at RB, causing you to burn picks that could go to a top WR, etc. And if I have an early 2nd, it means I had a late 1st which means my #1 RB is not one of the elite few, so shoring up RB is of greater importance, and if I wait until the third to do that, I am waiting to get the bottom part of the group of RBs with potential.

Maybe I'm the only nuts one here, but IMO that list of all the RBs with potential is filled with very high risk guys, none of whom is close to a sure thing to be a solid #2 FF RB (well, a couple are, but if we are talking just the ones that will be there mid 2nd into the 3rd, we are talking some hugh risky players).

Don't get me wrong, if Manning is there in the latter half of the 2nd, I'm thinking very hard about taking him, but I am not taking him with my first pick and likely not with an early 2nd rounder.

Too much drop off in talent ot take him with the first pick, you will be scrambling at every other position as you fall behind the ball at RB, causing you to burn picks that could go to a top WR, etc. And if I have an early 2nd, it means I had a late 1st which means my #1 RB is not one of the elite few, so shoring up RB is of greater importance, and if I wait until the third to do that, I am waiting to get the bottom part of the group of RBs with potential.

Agreed.

I agree. If somebody thinks there are 25 solid RBs out there then I will be very happy to let him live with the bottom of those "solid 25". So he can draft all the QBs, WRs, PKs, DFs he wants while I get some RBs from the top of that "solid 25".