[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FORCING a Rookie from Coming to Minicamp?

The Wolf

What could the evil colts possibley have against this kid... :D

Yeah it is the NFL Management Council that screwed the pooch on this not the teams. There are 35 rookies going to Reebok's Premier and after several of them declined the invitation to attend minicamps the Management Council sent letters to the teams saying the "invitation" had to be honored. The teams are not holding the rookies hostage.

Why?

Would you quit watching?

I know I won't stop.

Just being honest.

The NBA got me to quit.

I'm sure I'd be just fine with a diet of college and HS football in the fall.

Yup, Packers leadership are to blame for this one.

Correction: seems Miami's Beck and Booker are being affected as well.

Team leadership should really check these things out. Don't schedule workouts during official league / union events.

Maybe they aren't expecting their "overdrafted" 3rd round picks who are starting out #3 on the depth chart to get invites to these gigs.

Rookies Greg Olsen and Garrett Wolfe were required by the league to attend a session for rookies to have photos taken for trading cards. Both were upset at missing their first chance to practice with the veterans.

Just caught this off the Chicago Tribune online. 1st and 3rd rounders.

Just caught this off the Chicago Tribune online. 1st and 3rd rounders.

Well, Mike McCarthy's take on it:

"You'd like him to be here. I think that's obvious," McCarthy said. "But everything that he participated in in the rookie minicamp is being repeated today. He was also here during the course of the week, so he really had a second opportunity to go through that. This would have been his third.

"But we will pick up next week. We will call him next week when we get back from Memorial Day and we will repeat this whole process. I think he'll be fine."

...all of which is true; but making a rookie miss out on minicamp, even though it probably isn't that big of a deal, can't be a GOOD thing. They need every chance they can get to adjust to the pro game and learn the playbook.

• Running back Adrian Peterson and receiver Sidney Rice, the Vikings' first two selections in last month's draft, are among the 35 draft picks spending time at the four-day Reebok Player Rookie Premier in Los Angeles. This event, which started Thursday, has caused some controversy because it's mandatory and has resulted in players such as Green Bay running back Brandon Jackson and Indianapolis receiver Anthony Gonzalez skipping their team's minicamps. Among the items of business at an event that is considered key for the league and its sponsors is photo shoots for various trading card companies. Vikings minicamp, by the way, doesn't begin until June 1.

Dungy said they are going to have to be more mindful in scheduling their camps next year. He didn't schedule it last weekend because of Mother's Day.

Teams are the ones who dropped the ball here. They knew about the event well in advance. If you schedule your camps then, you are taking a risk one of your rookies might not be able to attend. . .