[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for a new TV

CaP'N GRuNGe

I know there are other threads and I need to do some research. Was hoping to maybe pick something up this weekend. Probably looking at something from 32 - 42 inches depending on price, etc. Probably on the smaller end. I did see this one on Sears website at which looks like a pretty good price:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...UseBVCookie=Yes

Any thoughts and input greatly appreciated.

This model has "DLP". Is that a good thing?

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Just bought a Samsung LNS3241D 32" LCD HDTV from Amazon. My projection TV started having issues with red, and I figured it would cost over $500 to fix it. I paid just over $800 for this one, and there was free shipping. Best you go down to BestBuy or something similar and look at the TV's. Sears is ok for clearance stuff, but the mark up is much higher than if you buy it on line.

Nothing wromg w/ DLP. except that the viewing angles are much narrower. I lay on the floor a lot whilst watching TV. When I was in the store looking at the different types, I bent down below center and the pic definitely started to fade away.

whatever you decide on, just don't forget to upgrade yer cable box

+1

I have always been a Toshiba fan, they make a very good TV. That said, I did a lot of research before I bought mine and I picked a Sony SXRD, and I got it at Sears.

Sears is usually a little more but they price-match, and they kick in another 10% (of the difference between the two prices). So when Circuit City put the TV I wanted on sale I took their sales paper over to Sears and got a great deal.

So check the sales papers, that price matching stuff works.

So I hooked up the new Samsung HDTV last night. My older DVD needed to go, so I went to Best Buy to get a new DVD. One cool thing about Sumsung (they all may do it), is that if you keep the product line the same, all the remotes are done with the TV remote. My choice was really to get an “Up convert” DVD for about $100, or the same with a DVD recorder for $50 more. Has anyone ever burned DVD’s off a recorder? I would think it would all be done on a PC. Anyway, found an open box recorder for $50 off, so I bought it. The guy tells me I need some HDI cable to get the resolution from the DVD to the TV. The cable was $114. I looked at it, and it’s just a cable… there’s no magic in it to warrant over $100. Has anyone used this connection, and can you tell a difference from using S video and standard RCA cables?

So I hooked up the new Samsung HDTV last night. My older DVD needed to go, so I went to Best Buy to get a new DVD. One cool thing about Sumsung (they all may do it), is that if you keep the product line the same, all the remotes are done with the TV remote. My choice was really to get an “Up convert” DVD for about $100, or the same with a DVD recorder for $50 more. Has anyone ever burned DVD’s off a recorder? I would think it would all be done on a PC. Anyway, found an open box recorder for $50 off, so I bought it. The guy tells me I need some HDI cable to get the resolution from the DVD to the TV. The cable was $114. I looked at it, and it’s just a cable… there’s no magic in it to warrant over $100. Has anyone used this connection, and can you tell a difference from using S video and standard RCA cables?

HDMI cables carry both audio and video signals so there is an advantage in that you don't have to get both sets. Also, it is the highest quality video connection going (comparable to component video connections). Search online and you can get a much better price. Try bettercables.com for starts. There are plenty of others out there as well. Don't buy Monster as they charge a premium for average stuff.

If you are sending an HD siginal, the HDMI cable is a must. But avoid buying it from Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc... They will rob you blind

Do a little research on line you can get it for about 60% less. Monoprice.com is a good place, or if you have a local computer/electronics (non-chain) store they will usually have a better price. That's where I shop. We have a locally owned electronic's store that carries every cable you can think of, at about 1/3 of the price that the big box stores want to charge.

HDMI cables carry both audio and video signals so there is an advantage in that you don't have to get both sets. Also, it is the highest quality video connection going (comparable to component video connections). Search online and you can get a much better price. Try bettercables.com for starts. There are plenty of others out there as well. Don't buy Monster as they charge a premium for average stuff.

If you are sending an HD siginal, the HDMI cable is a must. But avoid buying it from Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc... They will rob you blind

Do a little research on line you can get it for about 60% less. Monoprice.com is a good place, or if you have a local computer/electronics (non-chain) store they will usually have a better price. That's where I shop. We have a locally owned electronic's store that carries every cable you can think of, at about 1/3 of the price that the big box stores want to charge.

Thanks. Have any of you used a DVD recorder? In theory, shouldn't I be able to feed it any audio/video and record it? I know there prolly won't be spots you can forward to, but this is how I'm planning on using my old DVD player.

what's your price range?

Sears has a deal going on today where if you purchase a Samsung 1080p TV, you can get the Samsung blu-ray player 300 bucks less than the sale price (699.99)...

not a bad deal if you want to be fully introduced to the high def world....

Thanks. Have any of you used a DVD recorder? In theory, shouldn't I be able to feed it any audio/video and record it? I know there prolly won't be spots you can forward to, but this is how I'm planning on using my old DVD player.

I've had a DVDR for a few years. You can record from any a/v source depending on how many inputs you have. I originally was going to convert my old VHS tapes, but the quality was pretty poor. And now on my HDTV it's even worse. I haven't tried to record from my DVR, but that should work also.

Just remember that a DVDR won't record in HD. It'll be the same quality as any other standard DVD. Other than that, you can pretty much record anything A/V source.

Just remember that a DVDR won't record in HD. It'll be the same quality as any other standard DVD. Other than that, you can pretty much record anything A/V source.

can you record in HD if you use a DVD9?...there's enough space for a few movies in HD.....but is it possible?

dude, you got rooked bigtime on the cable. take that mf'er back and buy something like this.

I know there are other threads and I need to do some research. Was hoping to maybe pick something up this weekend. Probably looking at something from 32 - 42 inches depending on price, etc. Probably on the smaller end. I did see this one on Sears website at which looks like a pretty good price:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...UseBVCookie=Yes

Any thoughts and input greatly appreciated.

This model has "DLP". Is that a good thing?

I noticed the one you linked to is a 720p. I would think you would want one with 1080i at a minimum.

dude, you got rooked bigtime on the cable. take that mf'er back and buy something like this.

I didn't buy it. A friend at work can get one for $20. This new gizmo shat is hard to keep up with. I was going to buy The Matrix trilogy on super duper HD DVD, but found out you need more than an up convert DVD player to get anything out of it. My eyes are bad enough to where I doubt I could tell the difference without my glasses (which I never wear), so I'll just stick with what I have right now and wait for the price to come down as technology advances.

I didn't buy it. A friend at work can get one for $20. This new gizmo shat is hard to keep up with. I was going to buy The Matrix trilogy on super duper HD DVD, but found out you need more than an up convert DVD player to get anything out of it. My eyes are bad enough to where I doubt I could tell the difference without my glasses (which I never wear), so I'll just stick with what I have right now and wait for the price to come down as technology advances.

ah i see, somehow when i read it the first time it sounded like you bought it already. but yeah, you definitely want an HDMI cable (the $10-20 variety) to connect the upconverting DVD player to the TV. RCA and s-video can only carry a 480i signal, so you're not even getting progressive scan output if you use those, let alone any upconverting. you can use component video with a separate audio cable, but HDMI is much neater. that will be 20 bucks very well spent for you.

and yeah, you gotta spend another $500+ if you want a true HD-DVD/bluray player.

I bought the Sharp LC-32D40U Aquos several months ago & absolutely love it. Right now Buydig has it for just under $700 with free shipping.

Actually after thinking it over a bit and looking at the budget, I might wait a couple more months. But this looks like a nice price. Where did you buy yours from? Have you purchased from Buydig before? I'm kind of leary about purchasing a large electronic item and having it shipped in the mail.

Actually after thinking it over a bit and looking at the budget, I might wait a couple more months. But this looks like a nice price. Where did you buy yours from? Have you purchased from Buydig before? I'm kind of leary about purchasing a large electronic item and having it shipped in the mail.

I bought mine from Buydig & had no problems. It's packed pretty well & shipped UPS so it's handled pretty well also. When I bought it it was $814.

Also, how sturdy is this TV (and others like it) if you use the stand? I've got a 2 year old and I don't want her knocking it over....

I have mine in an entertainment cabinet & it's out of reach. The stand is pretty stable & I doubt a 2 year old could knock it over, but to be safe it may be best to either mount it on the wall or get something tall enough that they can't reach it.

I bought mine from Buydig & had no problems. It's packed pretty well & shipped UPS so it's handled pretty well also. When I bought it it was $814.

I have mine in an entertainment cabinet & it's out of reach. The stand is pretty stable & I doubt a 2 year old could knock it over, but to be safe it may be best to either mount it on the wall or get something tall enough that they can't reach it.

Thanks! One more question. All this talk of 720, 1080, etc. What is this TV considered? I don't see that statistic listed? This new technology is foreign to me. I still have tube televisions. :D

Thanks! One more question. All this talk of 720, 1080, etc. What is this TV considered? I don't see that statistic listed? This new technology is foreign to me. I still have tube televisions. :D

Here is a writeup from PC Mag with all the specs. This one got their Editors Choice award. One of the few con's they listed was no DVI/VGA video input for use with a PC, but the model I got had one. The 720, 1080, etc is the resolution that the tv is capable of carrying. This one is compatible with 480p, 720p, 1080i & 480i. I'm not positive, but I think that number depends on what your cable service provides.