[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Remote Desktop Software

keggerz

I have heard of PC Anywhere but other then that I dont have a clue...anyone use something they like better or that has used PCA and doesnt like it? looking for some opinions.

thanks

did a quick google search and one of the ones i found was called LogMeIn and its free but you access your pc thru their website...how safe is something like that?

I have heard of PC Anywhere but other then that I dont have a clue...anyone use something they like better or that has used PCA and doesnt like it? looking for some opinions.

thanks

Hey Keg,

If you are using Windows, there is a remote desktop connection function built into XP. Look under

start/all programs/accessories/comunications/remote desktop connection.

I use this to connect to work, works ok.

did a quick google search and one of the ones i found was called LogMeIn and its free but you access your pc thru their website...how safe is something like that?

I've used LogMeIn for over a year to access my home computer from work. It does a pretty good job.

thanks

There are lots of good options...

Remote Desktop (built-in to Windows XP Pro - not included with XP Home)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/m...emoteintro.mspx

pcAnywhere -- Symantec product & is pretty good

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/pr...d=pf&pvid=pca12

LogMeIn

https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp

GoToMyPC -- owned by Citrix & widely used. There are XM Radio codes to get 30 days free I believe

https://www.gotomypc.com

Have fun!

I have had nothing but bad experience with PCAnywhere... but some people like it, so it must have some redeeming qualities.

LogMeIn Free is my favorite for accessing personal computers. I use it on all my machines. LogMeIn Rescue is a great paid tool for remote support of computers.

I also have used and like:

- Remote Administrator (Radmin)

- DameWare MiniRemote

I have had nothing but bad experience with PCAnywhere... but some people like it, so it must have some redeeming qualities.

LogMeIn Free is my favorite for accessing personal computers. I use it on all my machines. LogMeIn Rescue is a great paid tool for remote support of computers.

I also have used and like:

- Remote Administrator (Radmin)

- DameWare MiniRemote

i will be using it to access my store PCs from home and between store to store so that is why I have some reservations about using LogMeIn Free

i will be using it to access my store PCs from home and between store to store so that is why I have some reservations about using LogMeIn Free

Do you have a server @ your store? If you have a Windows 2003 Small Business Server for instance, Remote Web Workplace would be the way to go, as it is securely accessed over HTTPS (port 443). If you have a firewall in place, you should consider gaining network access by using a VPN connection. If you don't have a hardware firewall, it is worth considering... I am glad to see that security is on your mind! Kudos!

If there is credit card info on those machines... I don't know if it is PCI compliant.

Do you have a server @ your store? If you have a Windows 2003 Small Business Server for instance, Remote Web Workplace would be the way to go, as it is securely accessed over HTTPS (port 443). If you have a firewall in place, you should consider gaining network access by using a VPN connection. If you don't have a hardware firewall, it is worth considering... I am glad to see that security is on your mind! Kudos!

no server at either store, each store has its own PC that runs my POS program(1 with XP Home, 1 with XP Pro)

...i was under the impression that my DSL modem acted as a firewall...is that assumption incorrect?

If there is credit card info on those machines... I don't know if it is PCI compliant.

the POS system I use does not store CC numbers...it only prints the last 4 on receipts and

those are the only numbers that I can see...however if i went in to void a sale it would return the

charge to the CC so the numbers are in there, just not in a place that I can see them...

I second that remark.

Even though a hardware firewall and a VPN is the preferred way to go, it is probably beyond your budget and definitely has more complexity than you want to deal with. I do not know if your DSL modem acts as a firewall, but it is most likely not the type of firewall that would support a VPN connection even if it has one.

The bonus to using Logmein over some of those other tools is that it is accessible behind a router.

You would need to set up a VPN or port forwarding to use VNC or Radmin.

(If you didn't understand all that... read: Logmein=really easy setup)

The bonus to using Logmein over some of those other tools is that it is accessible behind a router.

You would need to set up a VPN or port forwarding to use VNC or Radmin.

(If you didn't understand all that... read: Logmein=really easy setup)

i am trying LMI and so far so good...very easy to use