[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blue Screen of Death

muck

I had the "blue screen of death" twice today.

...both times when some video was done playing (once from the Paris Hilton Goes Back to Prison thread and once from the video of Michael Vick's cousin on the main MB)...

I have no idea why this would start happening TODAY. Any ideas?

Need more info, Muck.

Which browser?

Change browsers?

Try other videos?

Is the system fairly clean?

Try running a memory intense prog like Photoshop, Autocad, a high end game.....see what happens.

Browser = MS explorer (don't have any others on my machine)

YouTube works fine

System clean? I think so...I really don't go anywhere "interesting" on the web ever.

Memory intense program ... closest I'll come is a huge .xls spreadsheet. I do usually have up to 20 windows open at a time across my four monitors, though.

Sound? Yes. What's the point of watching an interview if you can't tell what people are saying?

How would one do a system refresh?

Maybe I should just avoid newsroom-related videos until I can go to the website for my video card to see if there is some sort of new driver update, because, IIRC, QuickTime or some other video player asked me if I wanted to upgrade to "version 11" a couple of days ago ... and something is telling me that that is where the problem lies.

Anyone else get a query to upgrade one of the main types of video playing software? I don't remember which one it is that I upgraded...

When you get the BSOD, does the machine reboot, or does it hang and give you text? If hangs, then write down what the top line is and post here, if reboots, then we can change that setting.

Good advice.

QuickTime or some other video player asked me if I wanted to upgrade to "version 11" a couple of days ago ...

Possibly, but I think it might be Windows Media Player as ver. 11 is their current version, I had to update that recently. Quicktime is on ver. #7.

Edited by rocknrobn26

Sound? Yes. What's the point of watching an interview if you can't tell what people are saying?

I'd prolly take H8's advice, but the sound may have a frequency that freaks the machine out. The test would be that if it played through and didn't fail with sound off or down, the failure may be due to the frequency content of the audio. It's a long shot, but if nothing else works it wouldn't hurt to try it.

When you get the BSOD, does the machine reboot, or does it hang and give you text? If hangs, then write down what the top line is and post here, if reboots, then we can change that setting.

It hangs. If it hangs again, I'll write it down and post it.