[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Federal Deficit is Down

muck

...from some private research I get...no link...emphasis mine...

"The Federal deficit has been falling precipitously over the last eight months as revenues have been outpacing expenditures. Both revenue and spending continue to be at record levels but the spending side has been positively impacted by the absense of any large scale outlays on natural disasters such as Hurricane Katrina. The increase in revenues has been attributed primarily to the improved corporate performance over the last year and the near record levels of employment which has led to higher corporate tax and income tax revenue. The projected deficit for 2007 will be around $177 billion and that will put it about 28% below last year's deficit of $248 billion. Last year's numbers were the lowest in four years.

The budget hasn't been in balance since 2001 but the White House projects that it will return to equilibrium by 2011 -- even if the current tax cuts are left intact. The Democrats are angling to rescind the tax cuts on the basis of deficit concerns but as these latest numbers demonstrate, the best way to reduce a deficit is to reduce government spending and stimulate the business community to grow faster. The idea of raising taxes to fend off a deficit has been rejected before but many have apparently not been paying attention."

Edited by muck

Ok, so that I'm sure I understand...

When you say "The projected deficit for 2007 will be around $177 billion", that means that we are adding 177 billion dollars to the Federal deficit this year... correct?

So... the Federal deficit is actually 8-9 Trillion dollars and still getting larger?

I don't see how that can possibly be characterized as being "down". It's up... by 177 billion dollars.

Ok, so that I'm sure I understand...

When you say "The projected deficit for 2007 will be around $177 billion", that means that we are adding 177 billion dollars to the Federal debt this year... correct?

So... the Federal debt is actually 8-9 Trillion dollars and still getting larger?

I don't see how that can possibly be characterized as being "down". It's up... by 177 billion dollars.

Fixado.

I don't see how that can possibly be characterized as being "down".

Total debt is not down: its up higher than last year. We just didn't create as much new debt as last year.

"I know I keep losin' your money, baby. But I promise: four or five poker games from now I'm bound to start breakin' even."

Edited by yo mama

Total debt is not down: its up higher than last year. We just didn't create as much new debt as last year.

"I know I keep losin' your money, baby. But I promise: four or five poker games from now I'm bound to start breakin' even."

:D Thank you, Nancy Pelosi