[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sensational Sherri Martel passes away

SeductiveNun

Sherri Martel Passes Away at 49

Posted By David Brashear on 06.15.2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Topics: | News | Wrestling | Other

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PWInsider and Wrestlingobserver.com have reported that Sherri Martel passed away today.

Sherri first rose to fame in the AWA, becoming a three time AWA women's champion. She vacated the belt when she jumped to the WWF and soon added the WWF women's title to her collection.

Sherri's greatest fame, however, came as a manager. In 1989, Sherri (now known as Sensational Sherri) began managing the Macho Man Randy Savage after his split with Miss Elizabeth. When Savage crowned himself the Macho King, Sherri was right there as Queen Sherri.

After Savage lost a retirement match to the Ultimate Warrior in 1991, Sherri began managing the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase. In 1992, Sherri split with DiBiase to start managing her new love, Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels.

In 1994, after brief stops in Smoky Mountain Wrestling and ECW, Sherri made her way to WCW. She managed Ric Flair until he lost a retirement match to Hulk Hogan, and then Sister Sherri began managing Harlem Heat. Sherri left WCW in 1997.

Sherri remained active on the independent scene. She was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in the Class of 2006. Sherri's final major wrestling appearance was on the September 21, 2006 Impact, where she joined others who were vying to becoming Bobby Roode's new manager.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Sherri's friends and family at this time.

I remember watching her wrestle in the old AWA back in the day. She could do it all. Wrestle, cut a fantastic promo, and played one of the greatest roles as a manager/valet. :D

Doesn't say how she died... have you noticed that many MANY professional wrestlers die at an extremely young age?

Another report I saw said the cause of death is still under investigation. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was related to some form of substance abuse however.

Ya .......awhile back i mentioned Elizabeth......Macho Mans main Flame...... i think Chavez told me she died...........her death was another screwed up deal without a cause ...... :D

Miss Elizabeth's death was ruled a drug overdose. She died in the house of her then boyfriend Lex Luger, who was questioned on her death, but I don't think he was ever charged with anything.

Well, that's 'cuz they're all druggies. :D

Sadly that's what the lifestyle does to them in the modern world of professional wrestling. :D

Most of the old timers like the Crusher, Lou Thesz, Sammartino, Freddie Blassie, and others from that era made it to old age. Granted, some of the ones listed here have passed on, but relatively recently and have lived a much longer life than their modern day counterparts.

Edited by SeductiveNun

Sadly that's what the lifestyle does to them in the modern world of professional wrestling. :D

Most of the old timers like the Crusher, Lou Thesz, Sammartino, Freddie Blassie, and others from that era made it to old age. Granted, some of the ones listed here have passed on, but relatively recently and have lived a much longer life than their modern day counterparts.

It's not unlike other forms of entertainment in that regard.....