[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Darrell Jackson, Andre Johnson, Reggie Brown

I'm not really seeing much of a reason to keep Jackson over Johnson and Brown at this point. Both are younger and have much less health issues.

Trade him?

Edited by godtomsatan

Andre Johnson is the bonafide stud of the bunch. You keep him and decide between the other 2 guys.

Darrell Jackson can put up studly numbers when healthy. He's going to where he's an unquestioned #1 WR in an offense that is getting better. The problem is the injuries.

Reggie Brown is a 50-60 catch guy at best. He didn't show much improvement over his rookie year in number of receptions and didn't hit 50 either year. Now he's got to deal with Kevin Curtis, who has #1 WR potential. I don't see Brown as anything better than a #3 FF WR, and he sure looks to have a low ceiling.

So you have to decide between a decent #1/#2 WR who has had a string of injuries or a #2/#3 WR who doesn't have a ton of upside. Personally I'd keep Jackson alongside Johnson - the Reggie Browns of the FF world are relatively plentiful.

Andre Johnson is the bonafide stud of the bunch. You keep him and decide between the other 2 guys.

Darrell Jackson can put up studly numbers when healthy. He's going to where he's an unquestioned #1 WR in an offense that is getting better. The problem is the injuries.

Reggie Brown is a 50-60 catch guy at best. He didn't show much improvement over his rookie year in number of receptions and didn't hit 50 either year. Now he's got to deal with Kevin Curtis, who has #1 WR potential. I don't see Brown as anything better than a #3 FF WR, and he sure looks to have a low ceiling.

So you have to decide between a decent #1/#2 WR who has had a string of injuries or a #2/#3 WR who doesn't have a ton of upside. Personally I'd keep Jackson alongside Johnson - the Reggie Browns of the FF world are relatively plentiful.

This is very good advice.

Reggie Brown had 9 weeks of 100 yards or 1 TD in weeks 1-16. In his rookie season, he did that 2 times.

Reggie Brown had 9 weeks of 100 yards or 1 TD in weeks 1-16. In his rookie season, he did that 2 times.

That's great! That matches up well with the 7 weeks last season where he had 27 yds receiving or less. Now that's the kind of future stud I need on my team...

Edited by Bronco Billy

That's great! That matches up well with the 7 weeks last season where he had 27 yds receiving or less. Now that's the kind of future stud I need on my team...

It was actually 6 (not counting week 17), and in 3 of those games he caught a TD.

It was actually 6 (not counting week 17), and in 3 of those games he caught a TD.

Fair enough. I checked his stats @ nfl.com and they said he started, but the gamebook from week 17 shows he didn't start or play.

That's great! That matches up well with the 7 weeks last season where he had 27 31 yds receiving or less in 15 games played. Now that's the kind of future stud I need on my team...

Fixed. My apologies.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Bingo.

People that think like this are the ones who make it to the championships.

Now he's got to deal with Kevin Curtis, who has #1 WR potential. I don't see Brown as anything better than a #3 FF WR, and he sure looks to have a low ceiling.

What are you basing these two statements on?

Curtis has never faced anything but nickel backs. How does that give him #1 WR potential?

What makes Brown's ceiling low? He nearly doubled his yardage, and doubled his TDs from year one to year two on 3 more receptions (with McNabb missing half the year). You don't see him getting 1000 yards and 8-10 TDs?

I'm just sick of DJack missing games the weeks I need him (playoff weeks)...

What are you basing these two statements on?

Curtis has never faced anything but nickel backs. How does that give him #1 WR potential?

What makes Brown's ceiling low? He nearly doubled his yardage, and doubled his TDs from year one to year two on 3 more receptions (with McNabb missing half the year). You don't see him getting 1000 yards and 8-10 TDs?

No, I don't see Brown or any other WR getting to 1000 yds & 8-10 TDs when they look like they are in line for 50 receptions. You can throw out that "McNabb missing half the year" crap - Garcia performed magnificently in relief and a valid argument could be made that he outperformed McNabb in his starts.

I'm basing the Curtis as a #1 WR on the fact that when he filled in for Bruce when Bruce was injured, he put up per-game numbers that are equivalent to #1 WR numbers. That you say he has never faced anything but nickel backs is false. That Curtis couldn't get past Bruce & Holt when both guys were healthy to start for STL is hardly damning evidence of any lack of capability. The guy has the physical tools & he has spent years learning from some of the best in the business at his position. Now it's his turn to see if he can shine. Given his ability, he experience, and his credentials while filling in for Bruce, I'm projecting that he'll have success. There is far less evidence to indicate that he'll flop as a #1 WR than that he'll succeed.

Edited by Bronco Billy

If that's your argument for keeping Brown & his lesser ability over Jackson, that's a reasonable position. Some owners don't have tolerance for not getting performance from injured players and will sacrifice a player with greater ability and upside for a lesser more consistent player.

That you are taking this position so adamantly with Brown makes me wonder why you ever asked for feedback in the first place. You obviously know which 2 WRs you'll be keeping despite arguments to the contrary regarding the Jackson/Brown decision.

Don't make the mistake of projecting Brown to be something greater than he is just because you are keeping him, though. He most probably is what he is - unless he manages to make some kind of gigantic leap in capability this season - a #3 FF WR. No more, no less.

That you are taking this position so adamantly with Brown makes me wonder why you ever asked for feedback in the first place. You obviously know which 2 WRs you'll be keeping despite arguments to the contrary regarding the Jackson/Brown decision.

I just want to hear both sides. On another board they are overwhelmingly in favor of Brown (about 8-1). I just would like to hear reasons for both sides.

And the Curtis argument still isn't flying for me. Having a couple of decent games against #2 corners, is far and away different from being the #1 WR and facing the best corner on the field week in and week out...

You say Brown will only catch 50 balls. How many will Jackson get in a run first offense??

DJax is an injury prone player to me and Brown was still coming into his own last year....he played well regardless which QB was in and there were some games he appeared to not get open...

but in recent camp, he has been pretty vocal about being the guy and if he improves on last years performance, I think he could be better than DJAX just by playing all 16 games...

DJax can be a headache for owners...but he produces when healthy....

but in what shape is that seattle offense exactly in?...the whole team seems in a lull....

I just want to hear both sides. On another board they are overwhelmingly in favor of Brown (about 8-1). I just would like to hear reasons for both sides.

And the Curtis argument still isn't flying for me. Having a couple of decent games against #2 corners, is far and away different from being the #1 WR and facing the best corner on the field week in and week out...

You say Brown will only catch 50 balls. How many will Jackson get in a run first offense??

Well, you appear to have answered your own question. I hope you're right about Brown vs Jackson - and you very well could be if Jackson gets injured again. If he doesn't, I think you'll look back on this thread with great regret around November.

I'm basing the Curtis as a #1 WR on the fact that when he filled in for Bruce when Bruce was injured, he put up per-game numbers that are equivalent to #1 WR numbers.

I know this isn't a Kevin Curtis debate, but prorate the 10 games he started the last two seasons and it's something like 73-1045-6 over 16 games. Stick him in as the 2007 Donte Stallworth in the Philadelphia offense, and it's easily possible he has this kind of production. That's somewhere around the borderline of WR2/WR3, and not taking any improvement of Reggie Brown or Hank Baskett, OR the Reid version of the WCO's propensity of spreading the ball around into consideration. So, calling him "#1 WR" is a little over the top.

That all said, I'm all for not projecting Brown to make the leap into the realm of elite WR, but the question is between Darrell Jackson and Reggie Brown and who has more value for the upcoming season. Jackson is hurt right now, going to a new team with an unproven passing game where he could be the #2 target in the middle of the field AND in the red zone depending on Vernon Davis' development (#3 if you count Frank Gore). A repeat performance of a stellar 2006 isn't likely, and by that I mean the 10 TDs more than anything. The conditions in San Francisco are different in 2007 than they were in Seattle in 2006.

Reggie Brown, on the other hand, it isn't a stretch whatsoever for him to project out to 950-1000 yards and 6-8 TDs without expecting much more from him other than some modicum of consistency (100-150 more yards in those 6 Sega!hole games is not an unreasonable expectation). On the other hand, a lot could be dependent upon those playing around him and their ability to get out on the field.

Researching Jackson and SF and Brown and PHI are making me think a little harder on this one. I don't know if I would blanket say Brown is the right choice in a win now situation. I will say the risk/reward is greater with Jackson and the safer choice is Brown.

Use whatever adage or logic you wish to decide with that in mind.

Quoting myself from a March 15th thread on the main board:

Opportunity. Of course, I see Curtis' skills & experience as being better than Brown's.

Brown had 46 catches, 816 yds, & 8 TDs as the #1 WR on PHI's #4 ranked passing game last year. Curtis had 60 catches for 801 yds & 7 TDs as the #3/spot #2 WR in '05 for STL's #2 pass O.

More importantly, when Bruce was hurt & Curtis finally had a chance to start 5 games, he responded with 20 catches for 388 yds & 4 TDs in those 5 games - that equates to a 64 catch, 1242 yds, 13 TD season over 16 games. He seamlessly filled the gap left by Bruce. In not one of those 5 games did he have less than 63 yds receiving, and he had TDs in 4 straight games. That's an effective WR.

Hard to blame Curtis for not having opportunity - STL never gave him a shot of competing fairly with Bruce.