[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Slots - What to do with your pick

Roo

Every year, some of the biggest FF buzz revolves around what pick you have and and what you plan to do with it. You could literally have seperate strategies for each pick. For example, I feel like the 2nd pick and 5th pick are particularly dynamic this year.

In my league we actually have an early draft to determine slots, with the last place team getting first choice of where they draft. Quite fun to get things going.

My question is, does any magazine or website write articles dedicated to strategy-by-slot? Are some slots better than others? What's the best slot? The worst?

Does the Huddle cover this?

Edited by Roo

They don't do an article perse on this, but, if you read the reviews of the mock drafts, the draft slots and various strategies used from them are discussed at length. So much of the strategy, particular after the first round, is largely dependent on what the other teams have taken. It would be foolhearty to go in with a set strategy and stick to it statically, yuo must go in with a dynamic plan that takes into account what the other teams have taken and what is likely to be taken between your next picks.

They don't do an article perse on this, but, if you read the reviews of the mock drafts, the draft slots and various strategies used from them are discussed at length. So much of the strategy, particular after the first round, is largely dependent on what the other teams have taken. It would be foolhearty to go in with a set strategy and stick to it statically, yuo must go in with a dynamic plan that takes into account what the other teams have taken and what is likely to be taken between your next picks.

Agreed - hence my good natured flippancy.

A FF draft is so dynamic after the first 4-5 picks, and draft values can differ so much depending upon starting/scoring/roster size/owner experience variables that it is virtually impossible to create some standard for drafting out of any any particular slot - not to mention the differences in drafts depending upon league size.

You're pretty much asking for the publishing of an infinite-number-of-monkeys-on-an-infinite-number-of-typewriters type of manual.

Oh I agree - not saying you go much beyond the 3rd round in terms of hypothetical scenarios - it just becomes too unpredictable.

But I have found that 1st to 3rd round strategy is MASSIVE topic in my league as we draft our positions.

I read the Huddle Mocks word for word, and they are the best source (outside of a column dedicated) to determine what slot I want.

Maybe I am alone on this one but I would love Huddle commentary on "So you have the 2nd pick" or "What do to on the turn" - maybe something like that is well suited for those blogs.

Maybe I am alone on this one but I would love Huddle commentary on "So you have the 2nd pick" or "What do to on the turn" - maybe something like that is well suited for those blogs.

But even those, even to a higher degree than laer rounds IMO, are more highly dependent on what players were taken before you and what you expect to see go before your next pick, as well as league setup. In a PPR league, it can make sense to go ahead and take a WR.. maybe even two WR if you like to gamble at the turn at the end of the first round. ANd, it may make sense to take a WR or even Manning if he is there with your 2nd rounder if you have the #2 pick if there are still 3 RBs on board that you like, as there are only two picks before you are up again. But, all of those discussions are so highly subjective to the individual situation that there really is no way to do a generic article.

A few years back I did d osomething like this for a friend of mine. He was a fantasy newbie, and heading into his draft, I gave him a cheat sheet and directions of what to do for each round of the draft. But, even by the 2nd and 3rd picks, I found I was writing down close to half of a page of contingencies for each pick, such as take an RB here unless one of these WRs are available. Then in round 3, it would be take a WR here, unless you went WR in round 2, otherwise do this, but if these RBs are available, take them even if you went RB in round 2. And this was just for one draft spot in one league taking into consideration my rankings that I gave this owner.

To do it on a generic level, I just do not see being able to create something that would add value, and be concise enough to hold an audience captive.

You may be right fellas - maybe it's assinane. Part of it might be because I know my league/coaches so well that I have a very good idea of the 5 guys I'll be looking at in round three, depending on where I pick.

But considering most site have an "average draft position" article, we are capable of seeing a more national representation.

For worst case example I pick 10th in a 10 man league:

You can narrow your options down pretty easily in round 1 based on general consensus. You might hav a shot at Peyton if you want him, or if not, you're looking at Addai, Moroney, Rudi, Westy, Parker (here's where columist gives advice). You could also grab a tier 1 WR but that might not be advisable.

Then you look at the nat rep talent pool on the way back. Who's usually still there? You might get a shot at guys like Edge, Marshawn, Jones, or Benson from the RB pool, or Boldin, Colston, Housh, Walker from the WR pool. (here's where columnist gives more advice)

If I were a columnist, I would say the 10 hole appears favorable at first disection. You should be able to land two of your favorite tier 2 RBs if you go the traditional route, followed by two quality WRs. However the gambling man could snag a tier 1 WR with the second pick, grab say T. Jones with the 3rd pick and still have Walker or Colston as their #2 WR.

Again, I see your point. I could just use an experts view of picking from certain slots, and sort of talking throught the most likely options/scenarios that slot will face in rounds 2 and 3, maybe 4.

PS - taking a quick look a the talent surrounding the 1 slot's 4th pick, and you'll see a sharp talent drop off right before (guys like Cadillac and a host of QBs start coming off the board as a result).

For me it varies from year to year based on players.

I add up the real upper tier guys at RB and WR. This year I have 16 RBs (because every team needs 2 I have to open this up a little) and 10 WRs (there are a couple 2nd tier guys I like as my #1).

Now I determine what pick I need so I can get at least 3 of the top 26 players and hopefully 2 are RBs. After these 26 are gone I start to consider other positions (like QB, TE or LB).

So in a 10 team league I would prefer to be no later than 6th. For 12 team leagues I open the ratings a little more and add QBs (usually about 3) to try and give me a rough top 30-36. After they are gone and I deal with a RB if I missed earlier or I go BPA.

If that helps.