[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Real estate legal question

peepinmofo

So my brother buys a new townhouse, and after a day or 2 it is infested with fire ants. He literally had ants in his pants. Anyway, the HOA is saying they didnt budget for pest control this year, blah blah blah...

My question is this - Isnt there some kind of law that says a brand new home cannot be sold with an infestation of any kind? These ants Im SURE were there before he moved in.

So my brother buys a new townhouse, and after a day or 2 it is infested with fire ants. He literally had ants in his pants. Anyway, the HOA is saying they didnt budget for pest control this year, blah blah blah...

My question is this - Isnt there some kind of law that says a brand new home cannot be sold with an infestation of any kind? These ants Im SURE were there before he moved in.

Im not a RE lawyer but in my office a termite inspection is mandatory before we close on a property. I know there is a difference because termites can cause damage to the home but I am assuming if he spoke with his lawyer he may only have a chance at some sort of assistance if this falls under a shady non disclosure by the original owner or in the case of new construction townhouses I guess the HOA. Did the inspector see any evidence of this ?

Edited by whomper

No matter if it was new or not he should have had it inspected before buying for his own protection.

Thats what I was thinking..Usually termite inspection is a must and I assume they wouldve seen the ants during that inspection

Pest inspection for homes are generally either a WDI (wood destroying insect) or a WDO (wood destroying organisms). WDO's cover wood destroying insects and fungal rot along with conducive condtions. Most states are moving to a WDO format. Fire ants or other nuisance pest are not covered in the inspection. But it would of been nice for the inspector to say something.

Well, I told him to speak to the inspector. Its up to him whether or not he does it. If it were me, I would definitely raise hell. Supposedly they will spray once to kill what is there, but thats it. I wouldnt be surprised if they keep coming back... Oh well... I have wolf spiders... small ones, but Id rather have those than ants. Besides, I have a turtle I feed the spiders to. Its kinda cool to watch, and theyre FREE!