[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

dow -300

dmarc117

Why?? dealing in noncomforming mortgages is not the smartest move right now(IMO). When two of Bear Stearns largest hedge funds lose approx. 91% of the value. And subprime is going to tank again at years end. Why invest in companies that invest in noncomforming loans??

Edited by boat_hacked

Click thru to the Motley Fool article on the side. Not all REITs are created equal, but all are getting pummelled now. Takes guts, but this is when/where people like Buffett make a ton of cash as the screaming hordes run the other way....

this is very much needed for the market

I agree. It was an over due adjustment- false confidence in the market.

Nationwide, about one in 10 jobs is housing related. On the west coast of Florida, however, the most housing industry dependant area in the nation, one of every five jobs is housing related. This is a quote from an article on cnnmoney.com.

Our housing problems are not going away, which sooner or later should lead to higher unemployment numbers. The next hour will be very interesting.

When the Sheikette and I were in the process of buying our house, we looked into mortage companies. When we realized what the average homeowner winds up paying by the end of their mortgage (we calculated that a $300,000 house at 10% down and a 30 year mortgage will cost the homeowner $650,000) we ran as fast as we could to buy stock in 2 mortgage companies.

One of the stocks is currently down 85%, the other one is only down 66% since we bought.

:D

No way would I invest in real estate. It is way overvalued. I'll just stick with my Wal-Mart stock.

It depends where you live. We have several areas in Western Montana which continue to appreciate. There are other areas in the US which show steady appreciation as well.

No way would I invest in real estate. It is way overvalued. I'll just stick with my Wal-Mart stock.

Overvalued? When I bought AHM it was trading at a P/E of 6. Now it's P/E is 2.5.

Wal-Mart is currently trading at a P/E of 17.

Overvalued?

:D

Like any good investment, you need a catalyst, a distressed/fearful seller or a greedy buyer to make good (or better) returns on whatever investment ... whether it's WMT or real estate.

In your case, Polk, because you get a 15% discount, it's like WMT is a "distressed seller" of shares to you (think of it as an inducement for your wife to remain an employee).

Nationwide, about one in 10 jobs is housing related. On the west coast of Florida, however, the most housing industry dependant area in the nation, one of every five jobs is housing related. This is a quote from an article on cnnmoney.com.

There's a BOLD FACED LIE folks.

Depends on how far-reaching they are with the definition of "related".

Edited by muck

Like any good investment, you need a catalyst, a distressed/fearful seller or a greedy buyer to make good (or better) returns on whatever investment ... whether it's WMT or real estate.

In your case, Polk, because you get a 15% discount, it's like WMT is a "distressed seller" of shares to you (think of it as an inducement for your wife to remain an employee).

you are correct but have I ever posted about real estate investments from a standpoint of human behavior/covetousness?