[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Timers - what do you do on the wraparound

Duchess Jack

Again, you wrote a semi-diatribe about courtesy but it isn't even August. Are you

Main Entry: di·a·tribe

Pronunciation: 'dI-&-"trIb

Function: noun

Etymology: Latin diatriba, from Greek diatribE pastime, discourse, from diatribein to spend (time), wear away, from dia- + tribein to rub -- more at THROW

1 archaic : a prolonged discourse

2 : a bitter and abusive speech or writing

3 : ironic or satirical criticism

Assuming your aren't archaic in your usage of language, did you find my entry bitter, abusive, or prone to ironic or satirical criticism? Or was the addition of "semi" to denote that it was kind of a diatribe but not quite rising to the level of a full diatribe, or perhaps that I was being slightly bitter or abusive, or perhaps partially prone to ironic or satirical criticism? Or do you just not like reading responses that are more than 2 paragraphs long and have gone to the archaic definition and find my response overly verbose?

:confused:

Main Entry: di·a·tribe

Pronunciation: 'dI-&-"trIb

Function: noun

Etymology: Latin diatriba, from Greek diatribE pastime, discourse, from diatribein to spend (time), wear away, from dia- + tribein to rub -- more at THROW

1 archaic : a prolonged discourse

2 : a bitter and abusive speech or writing

3 : ironic or satirical criticism

Assuming your aren't archaic in your usage of language, did you find my entry bitter, abusive, or prone to ironic or satirical criticism? Or was the addition of "semi" to denote that it was kind of a diatribe but not quite rising to the level of a full diatribe, or perhaps that I was being slightly bitter or abusive, or perhaps partially prone to ironic or satirical criticism? Or do you just not like reading responses that are more than 2 paragraphs long and have gone to the archaic definition and find my response overly verbose?

:confused:

No - I honestly think that in a draft setup to run in July with 12 hour deadlines your argument falls out of context because you're so passionate about your stance, since this isn't a draft that you described in your "semi-diatribe." It's a draft started in JULY, not the last week of August.

With all those people out there playing, surely someone who could care less about drafting within a 12 hour time limit can find 9 to 11 other owners who could care less about a fast paced draft also. So link up with them & have yourselves a 5 week draft. Nobody's denying you that privledge.

We're not talking about that type of draft. You are, which is why I appreciate the 'agree to disagree' thing because you cannot stay on course of what we're talking about. We're talking about a draft where the other 11 other owners agreed to a 12 hour limit.

Typically Pope response. Siding with the underdog in the argument. :D

Coming from someone who is an admitted New York Yankees fan, Notre Dame fan and Dallas Cowboys fan from.....New Jersey I'd have to say you you know all about recognizing underdogs, don't you? :D

Gotten your Celtics and Canadiens spamshirts yet?

No - I honestly think that in a draft setup to run in July with 12 hour deadlines your argument falls out of context because you're so passionate about your stance, since this isn't a draft that you described in your "semi-diatribe." It's a draft started in JULY, not the last week of August.

We're not talking about that type of draft. You are, which is why I appreciate the 'agree to disagree' thing because you cannot stay on course of what we're talking about. We're talking about a draft where the other 11 other owners agreed to a 12 hour limit.

So your position is that owners can reasonably be less courteous of others because there is so much time left before the regular season starts?

That interesting. I don't believe I've ever heard courtesy being given in greater increments based upon a timeline.

So your position is that owners can reasonably be less courteous of others because there is so much time left before the regular season starts?

That interesting. I don't believe I've ever heard courtesy being given in greater increments based upon a timeline.

I think what's discourteous is agreeing on something and then hammering someone for using it after it's been agreed upon. That's rude.

I think what's discourteous is agreeing on something and then hammering someone for using it after it's been agreed upon. That's rude.

Huh. I think its rude to use that agreement to one's advantage even though it clearly bothers others and furthermore based upon what you are putting forth that the intent of the 12 hour period was not that it be repeatedly run to its extent by an owner regardless of how others in the league feel.

I'd say that we're defintely going to have to agree to disagree.

Huh. I think its rude to use that agreement to one's advantage even though it clearly bothers others and furthermore based upon what you are putting forth that the intent of the 12 hour period was not that it be repeatedly run to its extent by an owner regardless of how others in the league feel.

I'd say that we're defintely going to have to agree to disagree.

This is the kind of thing that for me, like trades, falls into the 'let each owner run their team as they see fit' which results in me simply letting go of what other owners do that may or may not drive me batSega!. If he's not breaking the rules, I see no reason to make anything of it. I am quite sure, during the course of the season that some owner, may or may not be him, WILL do something that's worth making a ruckus over, but following the rules isn't one of them.

It sounds like DJ should trim the 12 hour time frame.

Oh - and for the record, I'm a commish of a dynasty league, and used to be a commish of another dynasty league, and have refused to put ant time limit on drafts despite pleas from a few owners to do so and have defended owners who used extended times between picks.

I also expressed to owners who used extended time to simply post that they would be away from a specific number of hours (and in some cases days), how long that time would be, and that they would pick within a short time of when they got back. It has gone very well as long as other owners aren't in the dark about excessive delays.

That said, it does not change my position that if a timeline is instituted to make picks, its intent is most probably not to allow owners to run it to its full or close to its full length repeatedly for the reason that an owner is being obstinate about having the time avaliable to them rather than needing the time to tend to other more pressing matters.

Edited by Bronco Billy

for the on-line draft, you have to set the clock at something to keep things somewhat moving. no one wants to set it at 4 or 6 hours because there would be too many issues with people missing their picks because the real world calls. setting it at 12 is more of a default to avoid issues vs. a total league consensus where all the guys come together and agree to have 12 hours for each pick. in most drafts, you set it at something longer than what should be needed and then rely on guys to do their best to keep things moving.

i do think that in july it's not really a big deal if owners take longer. it would be annoying, however, if the same owner consistently took the full 12 hours to make their pick.