[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trim

i_am_the_swammi

OK, now that I have your attention, I am wondering who might know when the best time to prune a tree might be, and how much you should take off?

I have two arborvitae that serve as pillars to the front porch of our home. They were nice additions about ten years ago, but since have grown to over 10 feet tall...they block the view from our front windows, and need to be cut-back or removed and replaced.

I have read that cutting back an arborvitae can leave it bare/dead in spots...and that the time to do it is spring or fall (though a landscping service was pruning my neighbors trees yesterday).

Any tree experts out there? Or should I buck-up and hire one?

OK, now that I have your attention, I am wondering who might know when the best time to prune a tree might be, and how much you should take off?

I have two arborvitae that serve as pillars to the front porch of our home. They were nice additions about ten years ago, but since have grown to over 10 feet tall...they block the view from our front windows, and need to be cut-back or removed and replaced.

I have read that cutting back an arborvitae can leave it bare/dead in spots...and that the time to do it is spring or fall (though a landscping service was pruning my neighbors trees yesterday).

Any tree experts out there? Or should I buck-up and hire one?

Early spring and late fall as a rule of thumb. And yeah, you should at the very least get a book, if not hire a professional.

Shrubs and bushes can be done just about anytime from spring through fall, but avoid trimming them back during a heat wave or drought. Also, don't trim back more than 25% of the foliage / growth. Meaning if your have an evergreen that has about 10 inches of "green" on the branches, do not trim back more than 3 inches. This will help prevent bare spots.

Trees - Spring is the absolute best time, just prior to or after the buds begin to appear. Pruning overlapping branches first, and twisted branches will help keep the tree healthy and shaped nicely.