[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints OT Jammal Brown injures knee

myhousekey

Edit: Latest news is that it is just a bone bruise and there is no ligament or cartilage damage.

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/saints/stories...wn.ee57c48.html

Saints Pro Bowl offensive tackle Jammal Brown was carted off the practice field Tuesday with what appeared to be a severe injury to his right knee.

Eyewitness Sports’ Jim Henderson said the injury happened during blocking drills.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/8966897.html

The injury happened on a running play during 11-on-11 team drills about an hour and 20 minutes into the Saints' morning practice. With Aaron Stecker carrying the football to the left, Brown went down in a heap after apparently getting tangled up with defensive end Josh Cooper.

Brown, a third-year pro, was carted off with his jersey over his face after trainers worked on him for about five minutes.

Edited by myhousekey

Update from wwltv.com

Head coach Sean Payton said he didn't want to speculate on the severity of Brown's injury until it has been examined. Payton said the trainer initially looked at the knee and said it appeared 'stable' which he said was better than it appearing to be loose.
Edited by myhousekey

Just watched the noon report from wwltv.com and they said they'll know more later this afternoon on the severity of the injury. They had some video footage of the play Brown got injured on and he seemed to be able to put some weight on the leg when he was helped to his feet. Payton sounded optimistic but seeing the pain Brown appeared to be in as he was carted off makes me think he'll be out for some time.

Zach Strief, whom Payton also called out for poor play in the HOF game, would start at LT in Browns absence.

Edited by myhousekey

Tuesday Q and A with Sean Payton

Doug Miller, NewOrleansSaints.com

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:20 PM

Head Coach Sean Payton: “From a roster standpoint, we waived (WR) Chris Jackson and signed (QB) Matt Baker, who we worked out last week. We need to wait and see and check with our training staff to find out the status of Jammal (Brown).”

Q: Can you discuss what you fear about the injury?

Payton: “(Head Athletic Trainer) Scottie (Patton) felt pretty good about the stability of it. A lot of times you can tell right away if there is looseness in the joint. There appeared to be good stability.”

Q: What does he mean to this team?

Payton: “He’s a left tackle. It’s an important position.”

Q: can you discuss your confidence in Zach Strief?

Payton: “We played last year with him. He didn’t play very well this past weekend. I don’t want to talk about hypothetical situations of who’s replacing a player for who we don’t even know the extent of the injury. He has to continue to improve. (Jermon) Bushrod played pretty well in the game on Sunday night. We’re counting on all those guys.”

Q: When will you know something about Jammal?

Payton: “I’ll probably know something following the afternoon practice. I’m going to walk into Scottie’s office right now. We’ll have an MRI done. I will have a pretty good feel before we go again this afternoon.”

Q: Can you discuss the status of David Patten, Jeff Faine and Will Smith?

Payton: “David Patten has a turf toe. Will Smith has a virus and is throwing up some. I’m going to excuse Will Smith for the next couple of days with the passing of his grandmother. He’ll be at the funeral. She was real close to him. Jeff Faine has a strained calf. We’re probably looking at a week with him.”

Q: Did Jammal have a knee scoped after the Pro Bowl?

Payton: “Yes.”

Q: Has he had problems with his knees?

Payton: He’s had a couple minor things. I’ll know this afternoon what we think the evaluation is of the joint.”

Q: Can you discuss why you adjusted your practice schedule this morning?

Payton: “I mentioned to the team after practice that our job is to put them in situations that are game-like. I think we felt as a whole and the players felt that we need a good week of practice this week with a short week. I’m going to have to back off because of the game on Friday. If it was going to happen, it was going to be today. A lot of those guys didn’t have a ton of snaps the other night. I wanted to get a good one in this morning in the pads. This afternoon we’re in shoulder pads and helmets. Tomorrow we’re going to have to back off a little bit, as the game gets closer. It was a tough practice with a goal line installation. That’s one thing about it that is hard with a walk through.”

From WWLTV.com

A Saints official says that offensive tackle Jammal Brown's injury from the morning practice is a bone bruise. Jim Henderson will have the latest LIVE from Jackson at 5 p.m.

:fingerscrossed:

Edited by myhousekey

Just watched 5pm news (WWLTV.com)

Jim Henderson reported no ligament or cartilage damage; Just a bone bruise with some swelling and Brown should be back sometime during the preseason.

Edited by myhousekey

From NewOrleansSaints.com

BREAKING NEWS: BROWN'S INJURY DIAGNOSED AS BRUISE; KNEE STRUCTURALLY INTACT

NewOrleansSaints.com has learned from Saints Executive Vice President/General Manager that Saints Pro Bowl left tackle Jammal Brown has suffered a bruised right knee. The results of an MRI taken this morning show that there is not any structural damage to his knee.

The Saints are going through their afternoon practice and NewOrleansSaints.com will be in attendance following practice to speak to Saints head Coach Sean Payton.

At this time, there is not a definitive period set forth as to how much time Brown is expected to miss, however the report is certainly a best-case scenario for the Saints.

but how often does it happen..

I don't hear about it alot...

doesn't mean it never happens...I just never hear of something like this....it must have been quite painful..

It wasn't even me & it made me cry. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like he is back!

New Orleans Saints left tackle Jammal Brown practiced fully on Monday for the first time since sustaining a bone bruise on his right knee on August 7. "Today felt pretty good," Brown said. "I didn't get winded, so I'm still in pretty good shape. Getting back to practice is a start, so I'm pretty excited about that." Head coach Sean Payton said that it is possible that Brown may see action in the team's preseason finale on Thursday.