[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions Vs Bengals

Outshined

I think it is just delayed...Looks like it is being shown at 9:30 pm.

Not sold out. I heard Kenny Irons was taken off the field on a cart. Heard he then was walking oniti so it deosn't seem serious. Injured ankle. Waiting on Xrays according to radio coverage.

Edited by Randall

CJ made some very nice catches (yeah they were against the second team but still he looks very strong) Two very good ones at the end of the half that set up a TD. The biggest surprise for me was O'Sullivan. He looked very good. MacDonald looked good as well. The O-Line looked OK but they never got the running game going. Bell looked like he has a burst but the holes got closed very quickly. Palmer, Johnson and Johnson looked like the same, reliable 3. I am really looking forward towards the other games to see how CJ does. By the way, I am outside of the D about 2 hours so I saw the game at 730.

Edited by BigTen

Any updates would be nice!

Thx

Kitna didnt do anything to make me keep him over Brady (at any price). Detroit's first team O Line still looks crappy and made the Bengals pass rush look like the 85 Bears. Palmer and company looks great. Lions secondary is awful though.

It's preseason game 1... oh, and he's not on the pup list.

Neither is Kevin Jones. Not yet anyway. Kenny Irons could be soon though.

Rudi looked good catchng out of th backfield. :D Throw it to Rudi.

"Rookie running back Kenny Irons injured his left knee and ankle and was taken to the locker room on a cart after hobbling off the field. He had four carries for 17 yards, including an 11-yard gain.

The second-round pick from Auburn was hurt when his foot appeared to get caught up in the artificial turf while making a stutter-step move. Lewis said Irons will have an MRI, adding there are concerns about his knee."

Edited by Randall

Per Tom Kowalski (Lions Insider):

Blog: Early troubles, but some good signs arrive late

by Tom KowalskiFriday August 10, 2007, 8:27 AM

Early impressions from the Lions' first preseason game:

The three biggest issues facing the team last year -- and for the last several years -- are still in evidence. When the first units were in there, the Lions struggled to run the ball, couldn't get a pass rush and couldn't convert on third-down situations. Those are things that must be addressed and get better as the preseason continues.

I understand that they're just doing the basics and aren't game-planning, but they should be executing much better.

QB Jon Kitna, who has had a very strong camp, came out a little shaky. He was throwing the ball a little -- Roy Williams bailed him out on one occasion with a great shoestring catch.

DT Cory Redding saw consistent double teams and that's going to be an interesting situation to watch. Once the regular season gets here, Redding needs Shaun Rogers to be healthy and to stay strong in the games to take some of the pressure off. If he doesn't, Redding is going to get awfully frustrated because he'll see double teams every time.

Pet peeve. If the idea of putting different players back on kickoff returns is to see how they perform, what sense does it make to take a touchback when the ball is just three yards into the end zone? Makes no sense. I don't blame Troy Walters because it looked like he was going to come out, but Casey FitzSimmons told him to stay in.

LG Edwin Mulitalo, who gave up a sack when he whiffed on a block, is a much better run blocker than pass protector. Still, he's got to do a better job than that.

I thought both J.T. O'Sullivan and Dan Orlovsky did a really good job once they settled down. The backup QB situation isn't as bad as I thought it might be. They're not close to pushing Kitna for the starting job, but they showed some talent in running the offense.

The most encouraging thing about the interception by CB Keith Smith was the way he played the ball. He stayed close to the receiver and, instead of just eyeballing the receiver and hoping for the best, he turned (without losing stride) and played the ball.

Shaun McDonald isn't going to get a ton of opportunities, but he's going to make the most of them. He also gives the Lions great depth and it means the offense won't grind to a halt if any of the top three receivers misses some time.

I don't want to take anything away from the Lions' come-from-behind victory, but they were using some veteran receivers in the fourth quarter against Cincinnati's third-stringers. Troy Walters (eight-year veteran), Cliff Russell (five years), Kevin Kasper (five years) and Edell Shepherd (four years) combined for 15 catches for 213 yards and the game-winning touchdown.

I want to see more of rookie Johnny Baldwin. The kid is extremely raw, but he seems to make things happen. He might never develop into anything more than a special teams player, but this guy should see a lot of playing time over the next three games.

Daniel Bullocks, despite whiffing on a tackle on the first play, looked more comfortable in the defense. His defense and hitting ability is starting to show. He still has a long way to go, though, before he becomes a playmaker.

OK, Fernando Bryant can't cover Chad Johnson. Nobody -- with the possible exception of Champ Bailey -- can cover him, either.

Eddie Drummond didn't get a single snap at receiver while the Lions trotted out an assortment of guys to see them in the return game. At this point, it looks like Drummond will be playing for someone else this season.

Rookie cornerback Gerald Alexander did a good job sniffing out a screen and then making a play. It'll be interesting to watch his progress throughout the preseason schedule.

Mlive.com’s Tom Kowalski reports: “Detroit Lions running back Kevin Jones, despite being far ahead of schedule in his recovery from Lisfranc surgery, will not play in the first six regular season games. An official announcement probably won't be made for another two weeks, but a source close to the situation confirmed the Lions' front office is already planning on keeping Jones on the Physically Unable to Perform list. In that scenario, Jones would not be eligible to return until Detroit visits the Chicago Bears on Oct. 28. Although Jones is running well and doing some individual drills, like catching passes out of the backfield, Jones has yet to do any full-speed cutting on his foot.”

Lions Dispute Radio Report Regarding RB Jones

Nicholas J. Cotsonika, Detroit Free Press -

A report published today and repeated on the radio said Detroit Lions RB Kevin Jones will miss the Lions' first six regular-season games because of his foot injury. But the team says it's too early to declare that. "That is absolutely untrue," Lions spokesman Bill Keenist said today. "That's premature. No decision has been made. He continues to rehab and make good progress." The published report said the Lions had not made an official decision, but were planning to keep Jones on the physically unable to perform list heading into the regular season.

Lions Dispute Radio Report Regarding RB Jones

Nicholas J. Cotsonika, Detroit Free Press -

A report published today and repeated on the radio said Detroit Lions RB Kevin Jones will miss the Lions' first six regular-season games because of his foot injury. But the team says it's too early to declare that. "That is absolutely untrue," Lions spokesman Bill Keenist said today. "That's premature. No decision has been made. He continues to rehab and make good progress." The published report said the Lions had not made an official decision, but were planning to keep Jones on the physically unable to perform list heading into the regular season.

Not good news for Jones owners.