[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steven Jackson

Help me out on this one. I am in two leagues, and I am picking second in both. LT is obvioulsy going to be the 1st pick, so that leaves me with Steven Jackson at 2nd on my board.

Is he worth taking in both leagues? I like to differentiate as much as possible, but I think the drop off between Jackson and the rest of the guys is pretty big because of questions with the other guys (LJ = holdout, record # of carries last year, Gore = hand injury, Alexander = injury and bad year last year, wrong side of 30).

I just hate having the same key player for both my teams, but I cant make a case not to take him in either instance....

Am I overthinking this? :D

Just an FYI (that kills me by the way), I picked 6th last year and passed on SJax for Mr. Consistency Rudi J. The guy who won the league actually gave me $25.00 of his winnings for letting Jackson slide down to him at the 7 spot.

Moral of the story...don't be me! Jackson will be huge this year, and will rival LT's standing as #1.

Gore could be huge and I think he will, but Nolan also said he's going to rest him more to keep him around, and with the injury risks I would just grab S.Jax in both leagues, please respond to my post please about wr. in ppr league. thanks

SF - 49ers Will Ask RB Gore To Shoulder The Load

Source: Matt Maiocco, Santa Rosa Press Democrat

San Francisco 49ers HC Mike Nolan would like to have RB Frank Gore carry the ball fewer than the franchise-record 312 times of last season, but he said he will not limit Gore's touches at the expense of winning football games. "If he has to carry 500 times for us to win a lot of games, he'll carry 500 times," Nolan said Wednesday after the 49ers returned to the practice field. In addition to those comments, Nolan said that Gore will be the short-yardage back this season. Given that, his touchdown numbers should rise. He was removed from that role for eight games in the middle of the season after having fumbling issues.

500 carries for Frank Gore? Fantasy Owners across the country are hyperventilating. Nolan of course wasn't serious but the truth is that he's saying what we want to hear - Gore will be the featured guy. But you absolutely cannot ignore the injury history with Gore. I love Gore but this is a guy that's already had multiple major surgeries. Not to mention the broken hand he's returning from. He's fantastic, but he's got a history.

SJax is definitely the #2 going into this season but Gore is a close #3.

Well I just traded draft positions with the guy at #6, and I will probably end up with FWP. Top 5 are going to be LT, SJax, LJ, Gore, SA (not positive about the order of the last 3). If that holds true, I will take FWP. Now I will get a better pick (and probably a solid RB2) in the second round.

I feel good about this. I still have the stud in SJax in my big money league and the league I really care about, but in my smaller money league, I will have someone else so I am diversified (how much would it have sucked if SJax goes down with a knee in week 1?). Hate having the same mainstay guy in both leagues, especially if he is a RAM.

Thanks all for the input!

Well I just traded draft positions with the guy at #6, and I will probably end up with FWP. Top 5 are going to be LT, SJax, LJ, Gore, SA (not positive about the order of the last 3). If that holds true, I will take FWP. Now I will get a better pick (and probably a solid RB2) in the second round.

I feel good about this. I still have the stud in SJax in my big money league and the league I really care about, but in my smaller money league, I will have someone else so I am diversified (how much would it have sucked if SJax goes down with a knee in week 1?). Hate having the same mainstay guy in both leagues, especially if he is a RAM.

Thanks all for the input!

I can't believe you traded out of the #2 hole. What a mistake!! :D:D

I wouldnt have done it in my big money, important league. This was just so I dont have the same mainstay (who happens to be on a rival team) in both my leagues. I made the trade in my $20 "just for fun" league.

You still shouldn't have done it. You can't let personal preferences like being a fan for another team weigh in when making FF decisions and you certainly shouldn't be worried about having the same STUD on different teams. I'm glad it's only a $20 league for your sake. Hey you live and learn. I have seen many mocks/drafts done this year and many very solid teams are coming from the Top of the draft the #1, 2 and 3 holes.

Edited by irish

You still shouldn't have done it. You can't let personal preferences like being a fan for another team weigh in when making FF decisions and you certainly shouldn't be worried about having the same STUD on different teams. I'm glad it's only a $20 league for your sake. Hey you live and learn. I have seen many mocks/drafts done this year and many very solid teams are coming from the Top of the draft the #1, 2 and 3 holes.

And what happens if that stud has a season ending injury in the first couple of weeks?

And what happens if that stud has a season ending injury in the first couple of weeks?

You drafted Leonard and would be fine. As I see it you have 2 options, 1) Stop worrying about what could happen in regard to injury, etc. as you could say that about any player or 2) Stop playing fantasy football altogether.

I can't imagine trading away one of the best draft positions/players in FF just because my favorite team plays the team from which I would draft a certain player from. Nor would I trade that ideal draft spot because I was afraid that the Super Stud I was getting there might be hurt and I have him on more than one team when he wasn't already hurt to begin with. I mean... hell your own logic was it's only a $20 league any way, so why not just go with the best players and potentially better team if It's only $20 instead of trading down and lower your potential to draft a better team? Just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not trying to be a jerk asking this question but, are you new to FF?

You drafted Leonard and would be fine. As I see it you have 2 options, 1) Stop worrying about what could happen in regard to injury, etc. as you could say that about any player or 2) Stop playing fantasy football altogether.

I can't imagine trading away one of the best draft positions/players in FF just because my favorite team plays the team from which I would draft a certain player from. Nor would I trade that ideal draft spot because I was afraid that the Super Stud I was getting there might be hurt and I have him on more than one team when he wasn't already hurt to begin with. I mean... hell your own logic was it's only a $20 league any way, so why not just go with the best players and potentially better team if It's only $20 instead of trading down and lower your potential to draft a better team? Just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not trying to be a jerk asking this question but, are you new to FF?

Actually, I have played FF for many years, thank you....

Play the stock market much? What is one of the top rules in investing in the stock market...DIVERSIFY...invest the bulk of your money in what you think will do well (in this case, I am doing that by getting what we both agree a super stud in my big money league), but diverisfy a little just in case what you are investing in does not go belly up (i.e. or in this case, gets injured)....same idea here...

Think of the people who invested in Enron...yes, it would suck if you invested heavily in them, but if you invested every penny you own, think how much worse that would be...

As far as the comment about him playing on a rival team, that comment was made more in jest than anything....I am drafting him in my league that counts...

Isn't FF supposed to be fun, above all else? Well if SJax goes down with an injury my FF season is ruined in both leagues...now, if SJax goes down, at least I still have my other league to fall back on and enjoy...

I could see your comments if I traded out of that spot in my big money league....

Actually, I have played FF for many years, thank you....

Play the stock market much? What is one of the top rules in investing in the stock market...DIVERSIFY...invest the bulk of your money in what you think will do well (in this case, I am doing that by getting what we both agree a super stud in my big money league), but diverisfy a little just in case what you are investing in does not go belly up (i.e. or in this case, gets injured)....same idea here...

Think of the people who invested in Enron...yes, it would suck if you invested heavily in them, but if you invested every penny you own, think how much worse that would be...

As far as the comment about him playing on a rival team, that comment was made more in jest than anything....I am drafting him in my league that counts...

Isn't FF supposed to be fun, above all else? Well if SJax goes down with an injury my FF season is ruined in both leagues...now, if SJax goes down, at least I still have my other league to fall back on and enjoy...

I could see your comments if I traded out of that spot in my big money league....

apples and oranges dude, Just because you have SJax in both leagues you would still have different other players, so it wouldnt be the same team( so you would be "diversified".) If you want to worry about injuries with an oft injured player fine, but you can't look at it like "what if" cause "what if " can't be helped, drafting the best players can be.

Edited by G.K.Trey

I know I'm tired but who is FWP?

Willie Parker also known as Fast Willie Parker.

apples and oranges dude, Just because you have SJax in both leagues you would still have different other players, so it wouldnt be the same team( so you would be "diversified".) If you want to worry about injuries with an oft injured player fine, but you can't look at it like "what if" cause "what if " can't be helped, drafting the best players can be.

Exactly what I tried to say but I can be a little wordy at times and folks tend to miss the point. Hopefully he got it now. It truly is apples and oranges and he should've never traded the opportunity to draft SJax away regardless of how little the Entry Fee was. But to each is own, just like the guys who like to draft Manning in the first round, like 5th overall. I'd never do it (unless the league had odd scoring/roster requirements and even then ?) but that's just me. For instance, Many FF owners peg specific guys as sleepers and attempt to draft them in as many leagues as they can. According to this guy's stock/FF theory that's not a prudent decision. Last year I pegged Gore as a sleeper and drafted him in my local league in round 6 and rode him and others to my fantasy title. I also drafted him in other leagues I was in and I made the playoffs in those as well just didn't win it all.

To each is own but I'll stick with my strategy. :D

Willie Parker also known as Fast Willie Parker.

Exactly what I tried to say but I can be a little wordy at times and folks tend to miss the point. Hopefully he got it now. It truly is apples and oranges and he should've never traded the opportunity to draft SJax away regardless of how little the Entry Fee was. But to each is own, just like the guys who like to draft Manning in the first round, like 5th overall. I'd never do it (unless the league had odd scoring/roster requirements and even then ?) but that's just me. For instance, Many FF owners peg specific guys as sleepers and attempt to draft them in as many leagues as they can. According to this guy's stock/FF theory that's not a prudent decision. Last year I pegged Gore as a sleeper and drafted him in my local league in round 6 and rode him and others to my fantasy title. I also drafted him in other leagues I was in and I made the playoffs in those as well just didn't win it all.

To each is own but I'll stick with my strategy. :D

Wrong....there is a big difference between drafting a sleeper in all your leagues and having the same first pick in all your leagues. Typically a sleeper is someone you have a feeling about, but it doesnt ruin your team if he goes down. Two years ago, I had Carson Palmer in all my leagues (before he went off) and it paid off nicely. But if he hadnt blown up, I still had Peyton in one, and Brady in another, so it wasnt the end of the world if he did not work out. Now if SJax were to go down, you are screwed.

Basically what it comes down to is I decided I didnt want the same first overall pick in both leagues. You said it yourself, to each is your own. I couldnt justify taking anyone else but SJax #2, so if I decided I didnt want him in that league, I trade down to ensure my next pick is better....pretty sound strategy

And just FYI, if you have a serpentine draft with an even number of rounds, there is no difference between any of the draft positions..in theory, they are all equal...remember, I get a better second round pick (and fourth round, and sixth round) than I would have gotten picking 2nd, so its not like I traded SJax for FWP straight up...

Edited by #1 Niners Fan

Wrong....there is a big difference between drafting a sleeper in all your leagues and having the same first pick in all your leagues. Typically a sleeper is someone you have a feeling about, but it doesnt ruin your team if he goes down. Two years ago, I had Carson Palmer in all my leagues (before he went off) and it paid off nicely. But if he hadnt blown up, I still had Peyton in one, and Brady in another, so it wasnt the end of the world if he did not work out. Now if SJax were to go down, you are screwed.

Basically what it comes down to is I decided I didnt want the same first overall pick in both leagues. You said it yourself, to each is your own. I couldnt justify taking anyone else but SJax #2, so if I decided I didnt want him in that league, I trade down to ensure my next pick is better....pretty sound strategy

And just FYI, if you have a serpentine draft with an even number of rounds, there is no difference between any of the draft positions..in theory, they are all equal...remember, I get a better second round pick (and fourth round, and sixth round) than I would have gotten picking 2nd, so its not like I traded SJax for FWP straight up...

Not I'm not wrong. YOU are dead wrong as stated by G.K. as well. I've been playing FF since 1990 and don't need a guy that's been playing for however long but still plays like it's his first year to explain how to draft, when he's trading away early round picks to diversify his portfolio. :D

I'm not even going to go any further to explain your misjudgement but just know that you made a mistake in my and probably most people's eyes but as long as your happy screwing up, I'm happy for you. Enjoy the season!! :D

Ask yourself one question would you trade away the opportunity to draft LT because you already had him in another league? Answer: Of course not!! Therefore, you shouldn't have done so for SJax as he's the only player that has a shot to match LT week to week and over the season. You'll learn grasshopper.

Edited by irish

I've been reading through this post and feel compelled to respond. I've preaching the idea that fantasy championships are not won on draft night. The draft night is only one aspect of the league. Picking up players after your studs go down is also the way championships are won. Just because your stud might get injured doesn't mean that you should trade away the 2nd pick. If that's the case, I probably shouldn't play at all this year because all 14 players on my team might hurt themselves in the shower this year.

To show diversity with your team you match up your stud, in this case Stephen Jackson, with other wrs and qbs. Now that, my friend, is diversity. Remember diversity will always have some of the same faces. As a teacher I think about diversity within my classroom all the time. If I want a diverse classroom, then I know that I will have a few minority students in my classroom. Now lets say I use your theory of diversity, my next class that comes in doesn't have any African American kids. Is that diverse??? I don't think so. Just because you want diversity on your rosters doesn't mean you can't have some familiar faces or the few African American students.

Good luck this year!!!

I've been reading through this post and feel compelled to respond. I've preaching the idea that fantasy championships are not won on draft night. The draft night is only one aspect of the league. Picking up players after your studs go down is also the way championships are won. Just because your stud might get injured doesn't mean that you should trade away the 2nd pick. If that's the case, I probably shouldn't play at all this year because all 14 players on my team might hurt themselves in the shower this year.

To show diversity with your team you match up your stud, in this case Stephen Jackson, with other wrs and qbs. Now that, my friend, is diversity. Remember diversity will always have some of the same faces. As a teacher I think about diversity within my classroom all the time. If I want a diverse classroom, then I know that I will have a few minority students in my classroom. Now lets say I use your theory of diversity, my next class that comes in doesn't have any African American kids. Is that diverse??? I don't think so. Just because you want diversity on your rosters doesn't mean you can't have some familiar faces or the few African American students.

Good luck this year!!!

If he didn't understand my explanations earlier, he definately won't understand that. :D Well said though. :D

Edited by irish

Not I'm not wrong. YOU are dead wrong as stated by G.K. as well. I've been playing FF since 1990 and don't need a guy that's been playing for however long but still plays like it's his first year to explain how to draft, when he's trading away early round picks to diversify his portfolio. :D

I'm not even going to go any further to explain your misjudgement but just know that you made a mistake in my and probably most people's eyes but as long as your happy screwing up, I'm happy for you. Enjoy the season!! :D

Ask yourself one question would you trade away the opportunity to draft LT because you already had him in another league? Answer: Of course not!! Therefore, you shouldn't have done so for SJax as he's the only player that has a shot to match LT week to week and over the season. You'll learn grasshopper.

All right dude, I know this is tough for you, so I will try to go slow, but still, let me state the facts here:

1. I believe Steven Jackson will be an absolute stud this year.

2. I am pinning my hopes on Jackson in my most important league.

3. In my other, smaller, less money, less competitive league, I decide to go a different direction just in case Sjax goes down.

I think FWP will be available, will have a good year, and now in this case, I will get another very solid RB at #15, whereas if I stayed at #2, I would have had to draft either Manning (if he makes it that far) or a WR. I like to get two solid RB's first, and probably would not have in that league.

You act as if I traded SJax for FWP straight up! I DID NOT DO THAT. Do you not understand (and you should if you have played FF since 1990) that in serpentine drafts, with an even number of rounds, if you know what you are doing (and my past success suggests that I do), that IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT SPOT YOU DRAFT FROM, THEY ARE ALL EQUAL. If you pick last in the first round, you make up for it by picking first in the second round...I believe I can win a fantasy league drafting from any spot, and have done that...

and let me bottom line this for you......it is more fun FOR ME to have different mainstays on my two teams...and FF is supposed to be FUN, isnt it????....you are free to disagree with my strategy, but when you say comments like "I dont want to be a jerk, are you new to FF?" then you are going to get a pretty rude response back...

I will go sloooower, its not that you traded out of # 2 that is so bad(even tho it is bad.) It was your reasoning behind it , saying its to diversify is just plain silly ,and if you are trading out of one of only two sure picks, you better get at least 3 picks for it.